Alternator Removal 2005 Lincoln V8 Sport

Challenger2060

New LVC Member
Reaction score
So I just got my Lincoln about a month ago. The dealership I bought it from replaced the AC compressor and the DCCV. About two weeks ago, my car had a kaniption fit in traffic. The battery died when I pulled into a parking lot, so I jumped it, and it ran fine. I was a donkey and didn't think anything about it. Then, the check charging system warning appeared, and I knew immediately I should have checked the alternator.

Long story short, I've got the new alternator at home on my work bench, the gravel shields have been removed, the PF tire has been removed, the serpentine is out of the way, and the bottom bolt is mostly out. However, I can't figure out how to get the wiring harness unplugged to get to the top mount. Any ideas? Also, the bottom bolt is butting up against the sway bar. Will this be a problem as I continue to slam my head in a door with this project? I'm already two hours of work into it.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?3765-replacing-alternator-00-LS

assuming its the same for 2nd gen:

I just did mine (on a first gen) didn't have a problem with the bottom nut or bolt. Leave the harness attached till after to remove the bolts (then spin it to get a better look).Top isn't too bad either if you use extensions over the steering rack and a socket from under the hood. once you get the bolts out Zip tie the ac lines off to the side and keep twisting until you can pull it through. Mine came out pulley DOWN. Keep wiggling and rotating. it'll go. then just reverse for install (leave the harness and wire for last.

Took me 8 hourish... and I had a pretty good idea what i was doing. Hite says he can do it in an hour now (ya right :D) GL

Dang... I'm aiming to spend no more than fiveish hours on mine. I don't understand why they put the alternator at the bottom of the engine... the designers must've gotten their qualifications from a cracker jack box. Anyway, I appreciate the help. You're the man!:Beer

I don't understand why they put the alternator at the bottom of the engine... the designers must've gotten their qualifications from a cracker jack box. Anyway, I appreciate the help. You're the man!:Beer

The accessories mount directly to the block in order to increase their rigidity and lessen vibrations at higher rpms. It was a design choice not lack of design.

Regardless though, it's still a PITA to get to. :)

Did you ever get this? The top bolt can be removed by loosening the engine mount bolt, then jacking the engine up. Can't remember if I removed the engine mount bolt or not, but when you do this the alt bolt very easily comes out over the sway bar, and cuts a lot of the time off the job. And, brush up on your Tetris to get the alt itself out. Slips out through the A-arm as I recall.

did my 1st gen in a parking lot, took me and a buddy about 3hrs start to finish, the biggest PITA is getting it out. you just gotta wiggle it and twist it and yank a little

Members online

No members online now.
Back