Alternate AUX input

aaronearles

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I've done my research on auxiliary inputs on the LS, and have decided to take the cheap route, but make it look good. I've got an FM transmitter that I will be installing in the low part of the headliner right next to the high brake light. I will run an audio cable from there to the front of the car where an iPhone dock will remain hidden in the slide out ashtray. So this way I get in my car, slide out the ashtray, dock the phone, and rock. I thought some others might be interested in this method, since the ipod/aux interface is so expensive. I've already tested it out and it sounds great since its about 2" away from the antenna in the rear glass. I will take some pictures when it's done, but right now it's too cold (12 degrees) to work outside.

On a side note, I read that the brake and head lights all had 12v constantly run, and used some kind of multiplexing digital signal to turn on, can anyone confirm this, because it would make an easy power source for my transmitter, thanks!

Yeah the brake light ground is enabled to turn it on. You should be able to get 12v from that plug (OG/YE wire) but then get ground somewhere else, I don't know where. Tap into the body somewhere or go to rear electronics module maybe..

fm transmiter tends to get static alot of the time.. and you'll need to be changing stations on it as you go town to town...

I was thinking (read hoping) that because the transmitter was so near the antenna, it would work better, much like the inline ones. I guess we'll just have to find out since I already got the transmitter!

Main reason I'm putting it back there is because AT&T sucks, err I mean the iphone interferes with anything it comes close too, including the fm transmitter.

Members online

Back