Alpine setup or not

BOSPLYA

LVC Member
Reaction score
Is this right? And how do you know if you have the alpine setup?

Factory replacement info:

In-dash stereo
7-11/32" depth; Size code E

Front speakers
Front Door: 6-1/2"

Rear speakers
Rear Door: 6x8"
Rear Deck: 6x8"

The Older JBL system was best and was last used in 98 Continental.

Back then when I first got hands on a 2001, it had the Alpine setup. But I thought the Bass was terrible and distorted with anything thrown at it. But Really, the 2 Rear sub-Woofers under the rear deck are really AUDIOPHILE. They are not Alpine woofers. Only the doors are Alpine speakers or I think they are since I've never took off door panels to find out. Those audiophiles looked like those Cheap OVAL Walmart Durabrand Speakers, The cone was smaller and the magnet was tiny.

I still had my 98 Continental with the JBL System which was much better & were much less prone to distort. 1998 Had Real JBL WOOFERS.
JBL's woofer had a bigger surrounding cone and Magnet. They also had longer travel which also explained for the better bass response.

I wasn't going to spend money so I swapped the woofers from my 98 to my 2001 and vice versa. What I difference and It felt like home again.

Yeah, the subs suck on the alpine systems. I built a box, bought a 12, and hooked it up to the stock amp. Now it rocks.

Well i am replacing all the speakers in my 99. Tomorrow i think i am going to have to just take off a front and a rear door panel to see the size. So i can start ordering my speakers and amp.

Don't know what kind of sound u're after but I always thought the door speakers on both the JBL and Alpine setups work very well and support high volume. Like said, only the rear deck woofers sounded terrible on the Alpine systems.

The Base model Stereo ( None upgraded Speaker ) setup sucked too.

Order your speakers, but Why don't you try dealing with the Bass (the Woofer) first. You won't lose anytime.

Yeah, the subs suck on the alpine systems. I built a box, bought a 12, and hooked it up to the stock amp. Now it rocks.

hows your setup now? Cause i have an unboxed 12 sitting around and I figured to put it in my car i'd need to get a new CD player with more power (I have a 00 Conti with the alpine system in it), and an amp to power the 12 and the rest of the speakers. Could be that im just totally wrong altogether tho. Its some type of Kenwood 1050SW, i dont know its details because its an older model that i didn't buy

If you put it in a box you can run it off the factory amp, Thats what i did. Sounds real good now.

I used a dual voice ciol 12 in a ported box.. It has been running off the factory amp for over a year now with no problems.

I have no idea what the watts on a factory amp are. My sub amp had 1 channel blew out in it when i bought my car. I bought a pair of fucus sub amps for 35 dollars on ebay and put one of those in it. I can't find the specs for my sub, but i think it was dual 4ohm coils and 400 rms max.

Just pull down that back amp carpet cover, unhook the wires from both 6x8's. Tape one side off and extend the other one out and hook it up on your sub to make sure you get good movement. If it looks like it's gonna work get a box. Mine worked out just fine.

Just pull down that back amp carpet cover, unhook the wires from both 6x8's. Tape one side off and extend the other one out and hook it up on your sub to make sure you get good movement. If it looks like it's gonna work get a box. Mine worked out just fine.

I just got home and read this, a few hours ago I took it to my friend and had him hook it up. Did the same as above, works fine.

6x8s are still going, so now it's just got more thump. Did you keep your back carpet cover in the trunk? I was thinking about cutting it in a way to just cover up the back of the seat where all the stuff is on the seat.

Alright cool. I wanted to cut it or take it down so I could focus the sub upwards towards the vent on top of the deck.

Members online

No members online now.
Back