Almost broke down...

rsimmons1

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I was driving down 57 today and was going through a 55mph construction zone. After the 55mph ended I punched it and I really dunno how to explain it but once I hit about 65 it just got real bogged down and was chuggin/jerkin. I lost power, it looked like the speedometer didn't know what was going on either, but the car didn't die. That happened like 100 yards from an exit so I got off and cruised real slow for a few minutes then turned around (it was a country exit, no gas station or anything). It seemed fine after that, I drove another 300 miles or so. No CEL. I know someone is going to say coils but I drove with bad coils before and I don't think that's it. Any ideas?

I was going down I-70 one day, about 55 or so and a big truck was getting on, I had a car coming up real fast on me, so I decided to punch it, and get out of the trucks way. As soon as it dropped a gear it died like the key was shut off...I coasted to the shoulder, bumped the key, and It fired right up....

I just chock it up to typical LS crap...right next to the mystery beep....

I was driving down 57 today and was going through a 55mph construction zone. After the 55mph ended I punched it and I really dunno how to explain it but once I hit about 65 it just got real bogged down and was chuggin/jerkin. I lost power, it looked like the speedometer didn't know what was going on either, but the car didn't die. That happened like 100 yards from an exit so I got off and cruised real slow for a few minutes then turned around (it was a country exit, no gas station or anything). It seemed fine after that, I drove another 300 miles or so. No CEL. I know someone is going to say coils but I drove with bad coils before and I don't think that's it. Any ideas?

I would be check the MAF. Maybe some dirt got on it and then blew off.

I would be check the MAF. Maybe some dirt got on it and then blew off.
Thanks, I'll check that tomorrow.

I just chock it up to typical LS crap...right next to the mystery beep....
Yeah it kinda seemed that way. I was about to call a tow truck and then all of a sudden it was better... maybe the LS is self repairing.

speedometer issue aside...mainly because who knows what that was about, I'd change your fuel filter just in case...the boost in fuel pressure may have sucked somthing in there for a second, the the drop in pressure when you slowed down may have unclogged it.

its such a cheap thing to do..may not fix it, but thats one more thing not to have to worry about...they recomend them every 30k or some $hit anyway

Though I had this same problem not too long ago...

Then I realized the traction control was activating, due to a worn wheel bearing, at 65mph when I would give it some throttle to change lanes...

replacing both front hub assemblies as soon as the snow stops falling.

I don't think this is your problem but I knew a guy that sucked a air filter through his diesel once. Did something like that. He never serviced his truck so I'm sure the filter was plugged.

From what I understand,

When the bearing is worn, it causes the ABS/wheel speed sensor to go haywire (getting mixed up signals from the on axis/off axis tendencies of a worn wheel bearing) so when the car lurches forward on acceleration, it returns a slower than actual speed reading, causing the TC to activate...

and causing many headaches.

it took new sway bar bushings, 2 lower ball joints, and an inspection of the uppers to realize how bad the bearing is...

Im getting a knock from the right side of the car...

I THINK i have this same problem and i've been having it for a little while now. The problem with mine is that it doesn't matter what speed I'm going. It'll chug/jerk when I give it gas at all. Ideas???? anyone??? keep in mind that I know next to nothing about cars.

I THINK i have this same problem and i've been having it for a little while now. The problem with mine is that it doesn't matter what speed I'm going. It'll chug/jerk when I give it gas at all. Ideas???? anyone??? keep in mind that I know next to nothing about cars.

Your problem is probably coils, if you haven't replaced them yet then you should definitely do it... unless you have a CEL telling you something different.

Members online

No members online now.
Back