Airbag Light Repaired w/pics

Smitty_2000LS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i just wanted to post this for those who may be experiencing what i did with my Airbag Light. And just so anyone who wasn't sure what the original problem was...here is the link:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=63909

So starting with the easiest problem first, i checked under the driver seat for the yellow connector that had been suggested for me to check first.
picture.php

I actually lucked out (LOL) and the problem was the yellow connector under my driver seat. The wire had been cut in two, how? IDK...but it was. The other connector that you see in the pic was the connector that goes to the power seat module
picture.php

another pic of it
picture.php

After i unrolled the 4 miles of black tape that was on the wire from the factory, i cut the wires so it would be easier to work on
picture.php

After doing some research on how to repair the connector, i removed the center piece of the connector with a pair of needle nose pliers. Simply just had to pull on it, not really any type of trick to it.
picture.php

After the center piece was removed, i used the needle nose pliers to push the prongs Out through the back of the connector (opposite the direction of the red center piece) **be careful in doing so, i actually broke the first connector and got lucky on a hot tip of a slavaged LS at the local junkyard, so i picked up the 2nd connector for $5. More finess Less Force :)
picture.php

Once i had the connector seperated i used some wire that i had around the house. i think that it was 22/4 wire. Twisted the reg/green together and the white/black together and used each on seperate prongs. after i got the wires attached to the prongs i used some Solder on the back to make things a bit smoother, i didn't snatch a pic of it...must have forgot but here is what i did manage to remember
picture.php

Once i applied the solder to the prongs i reassembled the connector using the disassembling instruction, only in reverse.
picture.php

*Here comes the fun part. Making sure NOT to let the wires touch once you have plugged the connector back underneath the seat*

I reconnected the yellow piece to the housing underneath the driver seat. before re-attaching the wires, i put some wire protection jacket over the wire, to reduce the possibility of this happening again. Then using 2 "Dolphin" wire beans, i reattached the wires, and using just a bit of black tape to hold the "dolphins" to the protection jacket.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Then put the key in the ignition, PRAYING, that the airbag doesn't go off, and WOOO..no more AirBag Light !
picture.php

*Hope this was helpful to someone who may have the same issue i was having

-Smitty

Mine was broken in the same place. the yellow connector and about 6 inches of wire was $48 from the dealer.

SOB, I have the same thing! It seems like I'm haven't the same problems that you guys are having. Under my seat is much dirtier though. At first I was confused when the under-seat looked nothing like yours, then I realized that It was probably in the back. After getting in an ackward possition I found it. Looks like someone kicked it. Here's mine:

CIMG0105.jpg

If the picture doesn't work it's being photobucket is f***ing up right now.

It is highly recommended that you disconnect the battery before doing anything like this in the future. Then when you put the key in the ignition to the run position, do it from the passenger seat.

So then the passenger bag can hit you instead:rolleyes: You're supposed to have the wife start it the first time. :D

ha ha thats funny 1bad4.6l i would it love it to go off on my ex dawm i just remember i dont have an ls oh well this is good info guys thanks and lol.

this is the most helpful airbag light I've seen, awesome! I still don't have the motivation to go fix it though.

So then the passenger bag can hit you instead:rolleyes: You're supposed to have the wife start it the first time. :D

LMAO I'm in bed right now and read that. I LOLed and she insisted I tell her why, needless to say she wasn't impressed being 5 months pregnant and all....

Thanks for the info. My srs lght came on last night. Apparently on the way to a friend's place it just came on. The darn bottle of wine we were taking over had rolled up under the driver's seat and broke one of the leads flush at the connector!?? So, mine was broken in the same place. Will be checking local salvage yards & or dealer for connector. Thanks again!

Does anyone have the dealer part number for the "male" yellow connector for the air bag system that is being referenced in SMITTY 200LS 's pics above? I can't locate a used LS to accquire one so I'll need the dealer pn info. Thanks in advance!

Was it chiming 25 times Also man? My chime beeps 25 times in 5 sets of five every 20 minutes but no lights are on. I can't figure it out. I have a thread up but no responses.

It's chiming because your SRS light is not working. It's even in the owner's manual.

The Restraints control module (RCM) monitors its own internal circuits
and the circuits for the air bag supplemental restraints, crash sensor(s),
safety belt pretensioners, front safety belt buckle sensors, and driver seat
position sensor. In addition, the RCM also monitors the restraints
warning light in the instrument cluster. A difficulty with the system is
indicated by one or more of the following.
• The warning light will either flash or stay lit.
• The warning light will not illuminate immediately after ignition is
turned on.
• A series of five beeps will be heard. The tone pattern will repeat
periodically until the problem and warning light are repaired.
If any of these things happen, even intermittently, have the Personal
safety system serviced at your dealership or by a qualified technician
immediately. Unless serviced, the system may not function properly in
the event of a collision.

i know guys, doesnt make sense to me either, thats why last time i asked this question someone said the connector might have a grounding metal in it and without it, it wouldnt turn off the srs light. i really thought just connecting the red and black wires to eachother would delete the connector

Ok so with all of the help/advise that I've gotten in the past I wanted to return the favor and pass on the following information for the dealer part number for the "male" yellow connector for the air bag system that is being referenced in SMITTY 200LS 's pics above just in case someone should need it.

Dealer pn 2W4Z-14S411-BA - cost $43.67

In addition, if someone doesn't have access to a soldering iron here's the part number for an in-line connector at Radio Shack that fits perfectly onto the wires and with a crimping tool and some shrink wrap you should be good to go!

Radio Shack - PK24 telephone connector pn 6403073 cost $1.79

Hope this help!

Ok so with all of the help/advise that I've gotten in the past I wanted to return the favor and pass on the following information for the dealer part number for the "male" yellow connector for the air bag system that is being referenced in SMITTY 200LS 's pics above just in case someone should need it.

Dealer pn 2W4Z-14S411-BA - cost $43.67

In addition, if someone doesn't have access to a soldering iron here's the part number for an in-line connector at Radio Shack that fits perfectly onto the wires and with a crimping tool and some shrink wrap you should be good to go!

Radio Shack - PK24 telephone connector pn 6403073 cost $1.79

Hope this help!

wow imma go with the whole connector at a junk yard for 5 bucks

wow imma go with the whole connector at a junk yard for 5 bucks

Yep..I tried that route at three (3) local yards all had been picked clean! Apparently there's a TSB on this issue. Also tried to find a similiar connector on line but, again no luck so, I choose to go to the dealer and be done with it. Thanks!

Ps Lincoln Jealous...I was born in R.I..

Members online

No members online now.
Back