Air Suspension Pump

92 Arizona Towncar

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that I can hear my Air Compressor kick in and I wanted to know if it is normal or not... No one where I live or work has a Towncar and I don't know if this is normal or not... I've asked the dealership but they gave me the "come in and we'll check it out" answer. It's load enough that I can hear it inside the car with all the windows rolled up... :cool:

92 Arizona Towncar said:
I've noticed that I can hear my Air Compressor kick in and I wanted to know if it is normal or not... No one where I live or work has a Towncar and I don't know if this is normal or not... I've asked the dealership but they gave me the "come in and we'll check it out" answer. It's load enough that I can hear it inside the car with all the windows rolled up... :cool:

The compressors do become louder with age. One other culprit is the mounts. The rubber mounts harden over the years and transmit more of the noise. I can hear the compressor on my '93 Mark VIII run now and it was virtually undetectable from inside the vehicle 3 years ago.

I suppose if it's bothersome, I would try replacing the mounts first.

The only bad thing about the rubber mounts is that they cost like $50 from the dealer or something like that.......and is the only place you can get them too....

Its normal to be able to hear the compressor inside given the age of your car. Ford issued a service bulliten concerning this issue which relates to all 90-94 TC's as well as many other models. The way to solve the problem is to replace the brackets, screws, isolators, ect with new ones where all come as a part of the "air suspension comprssor kit". Ford Part number E4LY-5Z205-A

mmmm I'll look into that... you wouldn't happen to know how much that cost would you? I hate calling the dealership, they always want me to drop the car off to get a "look" at it first... :cool:

"come in and we'll check it out" = Let us charge you $600 to replace some rubber mounts-

I have a 1994 mark, and I can her the low rumble of the compressor when it kicks in.

Good news - its normal -- and due to the mounts most likely -- and is your choice as to whether to repair it or not.

It is true that the noise "can be" coming from the mounting isolators. It can be coming from many places. One being the overall balance of the motor itself. Another can be from the piston wrist pin. If it IS coming from the isolators...its no biggie, it shouldn't hurt a thing. If it IS NOT, it may leave you stranded with no way "from the factory" to lift the vehicle. You are then either going to drive it home(ouch), or be at the mercy of a tow truck driver.

Members online

Back