Air ride

SATURN5

Dr. Frankenstang
Reaction score
Bit of a different question. My daily drive is mixed city/highway, but the highway part has lights ever few miles. So lots of 0 to 60/65 (posted 50-55) blasts then stop. So the air ride is always venting or compressing. It's already sensor lowered so I really don't care if it vents at 60.

I'd like the remove the VSS signal at pin 3. Does the air ride computer need this signal for anything other then vent at speed?

Bob

Seriously though, other than having an ABS light on all the time, I don't guess it would hurt anything and it wouldn't drop on you after 30 or so seconds at 55 or the auto drop at 60

I'm guessing you would have a light and possibly an air ride message letting you know it's not able to do it's job at those speeds... but again, I'm just guessing.

i believe vss =/= abs. i think his abs would be unaffected.

i also believe the asham8 has a pin you can jump or not jump to cancel the lowering at highway speeds. might look up some stuff on that.

Bit of a different answer: Why not just turn it off for the work commutes?

Bit of a different question. My daily drive is mixed city/highway, but the highway part has lights ever few miles. So lots of 0 to 60/65 (posted 50-55) blasts then stop. So the air ride is always venting or compressing. It's already sensor lowered so I really don't care if it vents at 60.

I'd like the remove the VSS signal at pin 3. Does the air ride computer need this signal for anything other then vent at speed?

Bob

Same here, up and down, up and down.
I just decided to do away with the factory control/wheel sensors.

Just set it and forget it.
Set up switches to open bags/open vent/turn on air compressor.
If I want to slam it.
Open vent and bags.
If I want to fill it open bags/compressor on.
I don't miss the stock crap just cut the air ride message wire, done.

have you thought about running a remote switch into the center console to turn it off and on without getting into the trunk? just curious, as i might do this.

Ranger, you might want to check and see if the trunk switch is actually run up front to where the air ride computer is located, just to save yourself the work. Just a thought.

Same here, up and down, up and down.
I just decided to do away with the factory control/wheel sensors.

Just set it and forget it.
Set up switches to open bags/open vent/turn on air compressor.
If I want to slam it.
Open vent and bags.
If I want to fill it open bags/compressor on.
I don't miss the stock crap just cut the air ride message wire, done.

I'm going to be getting rid of the air ride in favor of tokico shocks and lowering springs soon, which wire has to be cut to cancel the check air ride message?

yup. you can do this..

want to know more about how the air ride system functions?

read. http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/airsuspension2.htm

the air ride switch opens (or closes?) to ground.

perfect. thanks!

im not very good at reading diagrams but i think i got it. I want to put 2 switches in... one to open the vent solinoid, and another to turn off and on the bypass switch..

the vent switch, looks like i need to break the pink #30 wire, add a diode before the break (between the break and the ecu), and give power to the switch.. is this correct?

applying 12 volts to the pink wire will open the vent solenoid.
i don't have diodes, but it does add an extra level of safety.
i just tee'd into the existing wires.

remember you have to also open the solenoids at each corner to vent the air bags. just opening the vent solenoid won't get any air out of the bags.

yeah. passenger kick panel. i was upside down to do most of my wiring as it is a tight fit for me down there.

Members online

No members online now.
Back