Air-Ride Question Help!

Clean95Lincoln

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've got a 95 Lincoln. The air suspension just went out on me one day. I left it at my inlaws over night and when I came out it was on the ground. Now I know that it had a little leak and after 2 or 3 days it would kill the battery from running the compressor but even when it used to go down after I let it sit it still wouldn't be as low as it is now. I've tried to figure it out but havn't been able to. I know that the compressor isn't getting any power. All my fuses are good. One of my friends looked under the rear of my car and saw that it looks like it might be missing something under the trunk. It looks like it had a couple of hose connected to it. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the air suspension but I did hear something drag when I pulled into the inlaws bad driveway. Any help from someone knowledgable would be great.
Thanks!
Clean 95

For it to go to the ground, there is a leak, and usually the front airstuts are the ones that usually go out, because these cars are nose heavy. The compressors in these cars are much tougher than in Town Cars, I dunno why it doesn't work, it could of burnt out, hey it's 11 years old. I ditched a 95 after I couldn't find my air ride issue, and after the front end blew out while crossing the Triborough Bridge in New York in rush Hour. Bumppiest bridge, not the best ride for those of us without suspension.

Check out Arnott Industries. www.arnottindustries.com. These are the biggest suppliers. It's were I get my airide parts. They sell air ride part for most air ride equiped cars on the road, but Ford/Lincoln/Mercury are most popular.
The compressor is around $172, the rear air springs are around $92. The sell the pair of front airstuts at $595. For $14 dollars less they sell the Coil spring conversion kit, Which gets you off those air suspension problems. And thy sell other related parts.

You might find other companies but I reccomend arnott.

Yeah, if it's going down during the night, you have a leak and It'll only get worse as time goes by. The bad part is, the way the rolling lobe air spring works, a person will usually go 6-8 months at least before they even realize theres a problem. In other words, when you first noticed it leaking down, you can bet it had been leaking long before that while being driven. Considering thats air springs will leak the worst while going down the road when the suspension is worked. All this time leaking has put allot of stress on an already old pump. When these bigger pumps start going bad, they pull allot of amps. This is really hard on the compressor relay....and of course the compressor.

I'm assuming when you say that the compressor doesn't have power, that you mean it never even tries to come on?....even for 90 seconds or so? Also, "WHEN" is the check suspension message coming on?.....as soon as you start the car up?.....or after 90 seconds after startup?

Unless you wanted to spend the extra cash and replace the struts, keep in mind that the air springs can be seperated from the struts and replaced by themselves. If your happy with the way it rides when theres air in the air springs, just replace whats leaking.

BTW, if you get tired of the air altogether, you could do a coil conversion on it for less that $400.

http://www.americanairsuspension.com

Where is the air compressor relay? That sounds like it might be it. The pump never comes on. I'll just replace the front air struts because the back never goes down just the front. Is there any way to check the relay for the compressor? And you guys never answered what that was that I'm missing under the trunk. Thanks for the help.

Clean95Lincoln said:
And you guys never answered what that was that I'm missing under the trunk. Thanks for the help.

As far as whats missing under the rear, we can't see it from here, so without a picture or something, how can we know?

First things first......Again, it is vey important to know "when" the check suspension message is coming on. Is it right after startup?.....or 90 seconds after startup? Trust me, this "could have" a major bearing on the diagnosis.

Let us know this and we'll go from there.

http://www.americanairsuspension.com/

Pics

Here's some pics of what I'm talking about. It's has two rubber hoses on the right side that are just hanging there. The check Suspension light comes on a 90 seconds after I start it. Help!!
Thanks,
Adrian

MVC-006S.JPG

MVC-007S.JPG

Hopefully someone that owns a Continental will look under their car to see what that sucker is. ;) The big hoses look like no big deal, like maybe the vent tube for the gas tank or something.

As far as the light coming on after 90 seconds, that tells us that the module is working correctly and trying to do the right thing. Its just timing out.
Note: The system has a 90 second time limit to bring the car to normal ride height. If its not exactly where its suppose to be after this 90 seconds, it'll turn the light on and shut down the system and not try to make any adjustments until after the key is turned off, then back on.

I know you said you checked the compressor for power, but did you check it "WITHIN 90 SECONDS"? Like I said, if you wait until after the 90 seconds, it won't have power there anyway.

If the compressor DOES have power for the 90 seconds and its not coming on, the compressor is toast.

If the compressor DOES NOT have power for the 90 seconds, most likely the relay is toast.

IMPORTANT:
If the relay is bad, you need to replace not only the relay, but also the compressor. When these big compressors start to go bad, they pull allot of amps. More than the relay is designed to handle. In other words, if you don't replace the relay AND compressor at the same time, the new relay will die again....most of the time within a short time.

If the compressor has power going to it, just replace the compressor.

Where exactly is the Relay and where can I buy one? I searched some and didn't find them on the net. How hard is it to change the Compressor and dryer? I see where the compressor is but don't even know where the dryer is. Will the stuff I order from you guys come with instructions?
Thanks,
Adrian

Clean95Lincoln said:
Where exactly is the Relay and where can I buy one? I searched some and didn't find them on the net. How hard is it to change the Compressor and dryer? I see where the compressor is but don't even know where the dryer is. Will the stuff I order from you guys come with instructions?
Thanks,
Adrian

I thought I rememered it being on the drivers side, between the engine and strut tower, but according to ALLDATA, its right up front on the front valve cover. Below is a picture of the same "type" of relay your looking for. I DO NOT have a picture of the relay location on your car, this is a picture of the same relay on a Mark VIII. This is just to show you what it looks like.

The cheapest place I know to get a relay is through www.fastpartsnetwork.com Last time I checked, they're $89+shipping.

The compressor/dryer is right in the open under the hood. It would take all of 30 minutes to change this out. The dryer is the little black plastic tank mounted to the compressor. From my company it comes as an assembly along with NEW mounting insulators(just 3 of these from Ford is $60 alone).
http://www.americanairsuspension.com/95-96conti-american-eagle.htm

COMP%20RELAY%20PIC.jpg

Do you know what Color wires are what on the relay? Like which color would be the power going to the Compressor so I can check and make sure the relay is bad not putting out any power. Also which wire would be the wire coming into the relay that I could check to make sure the relay is getting power.
Thanks
Adrian

its attached to the metal L bracket on top of the radiator dead center.

oh and i might be wrong but i think you may have ripped off your evap cannister.

It sounds like I have the exact same problem as the OP. "Check ride control" comes on after 90 seconds or so. No compressor coming on. Bouncy ride. However, I do seem to have at least some air in the bags. The back looks a little lower than the front.

I tested my compressor today by hooking it up directly to the battery and it worked...

So now I want to try and replace the relay also.

Take a look at some of the pics I took today. I think that's the relay in question.

Can someone please confirm?

Thanks!

relay-1.jpg

relay-2.jpg

relay-3.jpg

aristo1963 said:
hmm L bracket top center.yup that would be the one i described:rolleyes:

OK. Just wanted to make sure. :p

Is there any way to test that relay or does it have to be replaced?

Also, I've seen mention of problems with the wiring harness. Any more info on this? Where is it exactly? What should I look for?

if you jump the compressor to battery and it runs the odds are 99% its toast.cant be rebuilt and is dealer only.yard 10 bucks and up and you take your chances.dealer about 125 is avg.my dealer sold it to me for 85.good luck

Air Suspension Wiring Harness

I have read elsewhere that people have had problems with the air suspension wiring harness shorting out in the 95-96 Conti.

Can you point me to the exact location of this harness?

Could they be referring to the wires that connect to the relay?

No, the problem with the air suspension wiring on the '95 & early '96's, was that the stranded wires going to the front solenoids would break. (an open circuit, not a short) At a certain height, enough wires would make good enough contact to make the solenoid work, but when it got to a certain height, there wouldn't be enough good wires and would result in a voltage drop. This would kick on the light and shut down the system.

If you do have this problem, Ford has a good kit to repair this problem. Just make sure you solder & heat shrink all the connections. If you do, you'll never have that problem again.

www.americanairsuspension.com

Can you point me to the exact location of the front solenoids so I can double check this?

For some reason, I thought the solenoid was on the compressor? :confused:

No problem. Look inside the front fenderwell on both sides. The solenoid is located off the strut itself. It has a 2 pin connector going into it and 1 air line.

If you have the wire break problem, the break will be approx. 3-6 inches from the connector itself.

BTW, there is a "Vent Solenoid" on the compressor also, but each air spring has its own solenoid also. This is how the module (brain) makes adjustments. (by opening whatever solenoid(s) to add or remove air)

Relay

Where else can I find that compressor relay? I can't seem to find it anywhere online. Help guys. Thanks,
Adrian

ok I have a quick question. I am in a simular problem. Car starts pump doent come on ever, only if i co to the switch and turn it off and then on. Then It comes on for 1 to 2 seconds and shuts off. Is this a bad relay?

Please help im going crazy

When you turn on the ignition, the suspension module checks everything real quick. If it see's something it can't deal with, it'll turn the light on and shut down the system.

If you have a '95 or '95 Conti, you could be experiencing the broken wire issue on the front solenoid connectors. Ford has a kit just for this. Splice the new connectors in and heat shrink the wires to have 0 problems later on.

well its a 96 conti I tried replacing the relay but the same thing happens. I'm going to try and hook the pump to the battery to see if it will pump. if the pump is good and the relay too then what? that wire connection prob?

Members online

No members online now.
Back