Acceleration hesitation??

lincoln_zero

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I bought a 2005 Lincoln LS from a privater dealer (traded in older model, 2000)
anyways, cars great and performs well except for some really weird acceleration hesitation. o_O

Ok to describe it: When you normally accelerate, everything's fine. When you stomp to the floor, everything's fine. But sometime when you accelerate slightly harder, around the 40-60 KM and 80-100 Km (generally those two areas) theres some kind of shaking/pulling. Like as if someones behind me repeatedly tugging on my car while accelerating.

I was told that a transmission oil flush can solve this. As well the transmission filter could cause this, or even low tranny fluid.

Should i be worried? Anyone else encounter this? Please help. Thank you for reading.

Vehicle has 135,000 KMs on it.

Hey all,

I bought a 2005 Lincoln LS from a privater dealer (traded in older model, 2000)
anyways, cars great and performs well except for some really weird acceleration hesitation. o_O

Ok to describe it: When you normally accelerate, everything's fine. When you stomp to the floor, everything's fine. But sometime when you accelerate slightly harder, around the 40-60 KM and 80-100 Km (generally those two areas) theres some kind of shaking/pulling. Like as if someones behind me repeatedly tugging on my car while accelerating.

I was told that a transmission oil flush can solve this. As well the transmission filter could cause this, or even low tranny fluid.

Should i be worried? Anyone else encounter this? Please help. Thank you for reading.

Vehicle has 135,000 KMs on it.

Coils

All 8 coils?
Also is i t possible that it only does it sometimes and its hard to reproduce? Gotta get it just right to get that shaking/pulling/hesitation. Thanks so much!!!

My father in law is gonna check the coils for me tomorrow. He has a tester for it. Will let you guys know if thats the issue! Again thanks for replays you guys are great!

My father in law is gonna check the coils for me tomorrow. He has a tester for it. Will let you guys know if thats the issue! Again thanks for replays you guys are great!

Won't work. A resistance test won't tell you anything at all. These coils rarely fail completely, and yours hasn't.

They become marginal due to high voltage breakdown of the internal insulation. The only way to test for that is stress testing while using an oscilloscope to look at the primary waveform. Even then, you have to know what you are looking for.

The good news is that if your 05 has less than 100K miles on it and is a V8, a Ford/Lincoln dealer will do this stress testing and if at least one coil is bad (it will be) there will be no charge to you. All bad coils and associated spark plugs will be replaced.

If you have over 100K, then I strongly suggest that you change all coils and all spark plugs. (Anytime you change a coil, you must change the spark plug too.)

A little searching of this site would reveal to you that this is the most common LS problem.

@lincoln_zero,

Welcome and joegr is right, listen to him, he know's the LS's inside out.

I'm going through the same problem as you discribed right now myself.
I can drive it normally and get from A to B without hitting it.
It sputters a little here and there.

If I really beat on it, I can get the CEL to flash and read the code immediatly (it disappears quickly on the next drive cycle)

the code will be a PO3XX ... mine is hitting on cylinder #2

reason to change them all out is if you don't you'll be in there every other week
replacing one at a time. best thing to do it like joegr says, all of them including the plugs.
Look for oil in the spark plug well, if present, you're looking at valve cover gasket job aswell.

Consider it a little TLC tune up on your LS.

I couldn't get my hands on the Visteon coils, hard to come by and even more difficult to get shipped to Canada.

Do not fall for the cheap sets on eBay, where you get all 8 coils for under $90
they are garbage from what I've read.

instead, I was advised to just pick up the latest revised Motorcraft coils.
in my case the DG529's and I found them on RockAuto for $44USD a piece.
They were elsewhere but slightly higher priced but the shipping to Canada
was like the price of two coils.

RockAuto gave me a promo discount on the purchase and shipping was only 26$ Ground Canada.

Mine are currently in a FedEx van somewhere onroute from MD USA.

Ordered them this past weekend and tracking says I'll have then on the 14th.

I'm getting the NGK Irridum plugs locally for $7CAN piece
and it's all going in the same night I have everything in my hands.

can't wait.

good luck with it.

(sorry for long post, still working on taming the fingers a bit more)

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2001 LS was hesitating right around 45 mph (as soon as it shifted into 5th gear. any light accel and it would misfire, like yours). It was misfiring on 3 (p0303), but like others have said, I had to get on it to force a CEL and read it immediately. When I got in there to pull the cop and plug on cylinder 3, I found oil.

I changed the valve cover gasket, and all grommets etc., all 4 plugs and cops (because there was some oil on all of them). Fixed it.

If I hadn't of changed all of them, though not all were misfiring according to the scanner, the misfire would have jumped around to all of them eventually. Hopefully you don't have oil in yours.

Easy guys No harm done, your both chills.

But thanks for the suggestions people. I still haven't had the time to get this issue resolved. But I will stop by Ford and tell them to do the pressure test.

Ford was BSing me with the "if theres no engine light, i cant pull a code so you'll get charged for the scan" BS.

I should bring this page and show Ford and be like "Hey, grease head, the guys on LVC said here the problem + warranty. Fix it or ill report your Dealer"

Can that even work? ^_-

But thanks for the suggestions people. I still haven't had the time to get this issue resolved. But I will stop by Ford and tell them to do the pressure test.

Ford was BSing me with the "if theres no engine light, i cant pull a code so you'll get charged for the scan" BS.

I should bring this page and show Ford and be like "Hey, grease head, the guys on LVC said here the problem + warranty. Fix it or ill report your Dealer"

Can that even work? ^_-

I just did the warranty thing on mine. Per the recall they will test them, if they fail they will replace them but if they pass it will cost 1 hour diag time. If they replace them, they may only replace the coils, not the plugs. When they checked mine they advised that the coils had been replaced not long before, but the plugs were still factory original. I immediately changed my plugs, but still had to pay the hour's shop time.

I wouldn't quote a message board, or call them greaseheads. Be nice and respectful when dealing with them. Otherwise they'll gladly take your car into the shop and when you get it back it'll be all set for the next visit to make repairs to an unrelated, uncovered system. Mechanics are people too, and they can be very vindictive at times. And, as they are the ones called upon to fix the intermittent problems, they know exactly what causes those intermittent issues as well as how to cause them.

Last edited:

Can that even work? ^_-

It's a stress test.
This is what you need to take with you.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=..._YHICg&usg=AFQjCNFrwk6zh9zbT4hRUknD6icl2JyFsA

Never mind pressure testing anything.

you need new coils and plugs period!

Never mind messing with them jokers at the dealership, their job is to empty your wallet at the end of the day.

Everyone that comes on here with the 'I have a hessitation or lack of power' concerns is experiencing the oh so common
marginal coil misfiring.

yank the coil covers off, get the old plugs out, inspect for oil in wells, insert new correctly gapped high end plugs, bolt down the new coils, making sure the connectors click in and she'll run like an angry raped gorilla again.

Changing out the air intake filter and a new Mass airflow sensor and you're good to go.

So many engine troubles have been fixed with a new set of COP's and plugs.

Listen to these guys on here, they are not on commission from a coil distributor,
they are telling people this because they know these LS's inside out.

Worked wonders for me. fixed my hesitations. I scare myself at WOT now.

If they replace them, they will only replace the coils, not the plugs.

this is not true, I know this for two reasons, 1 it says so in the letter Joe posted telling the dealerships what they need to do. 2 they did replace my plugs on the effected cylinders when the dealer took care of mine.

Just wondering, but did any of you bring it to the dealer without signs of misfires and still fail their testing? I'm approaching 70k on the original coils without misfires, and I'd really like to get this out of the way before my warranty expires.

What are the odds of them all passing and me having to pay $90?

Just wondering, but did any of you bring it to the dealer without signs of misfires and still fail their testing? I'm approaching 70k on the original coils without misfires, and I'd really like to get this out of the way before my warranty expires.

What are the odds of them all passing and me having to pay $90?

The coil warranty runs till 100K miles, but you must be close to the ten year limitation, if you're not already past it.

Since it's an 03, VCG are covered too. You might pull the coil covers off and look for oil in any of the wells.

Your odds of the all being good are greater than zero, but not much greater.

The coil warranty runs till 100K miles, but you must be close to the ten year limitation, if you're not already past it.

Since it's an 03, VCG are covered too. You might pull the coil covers off and look for oil in any of the wells.

Your odds of the all being good are greater than zero, but not much greater.

I'm assuming the 10 years is counted from date of purchase, so I still have till November 2013. Or is it from date built??

this is not true, I know this for two reasons, 1 it says so in the letter Joe posted telling the dealerships what they need to do. 2 they did replace my plugs on the effected cylinders when the dealer took care of mine.

I'm glad that your dealer changed your plugs, but that doesn't mean all dealers do what they're supposed to. I reported what happened with my car when I took Joe's letter to my dealer. My dealer reported to me that the coils had just been changed under that warranty, but that my spark plugs were the factory originals. When I changed the plugs, they were factory plugs and obviously worn out, and the coils looked brand new. The dealer I use was not the same that the previous owner used.

that is what the dealer was told to do, if your dealer is not trustable to do their job, then i'm am sorry for you, you need to find a new dealer.

the point is you said that they WILL not, when the letter clearly says they will. time to find a dealer that can follow directions, not too mention, you should have been all over that, if the invoice says they didn't do the work that their corporate offices says they should be doing. when they told you they didn't change the plugs, why didn't you call them out on it since the letter says to do so? hello corporate office, dealer so and so ...

There. Fixed my post. Better? :p

And, the dealer I use is not the same one the original owner used. As my dealer didn't do the coil job, it was not on them to change the plugs.

Knock off the "racist" comments. PMs have been sent to the members responsible.

BTW Replace the coils and plugs.

BTW Replace the coils and plugs.

I want to see what I can get Ford to do with the link Joegr gave me. Im gonna print that and take it in. If they Should replace the sparks, and I find out they didn't, is there a number I can contact (like a ford head office) to say they didn't provide me with the accurate service as described by the warranty?

I know that seems extreme, but my first impression wasn't very good with these guys.

Then again I suppose I could go to another Ford dealer and avoid the first guys I went to all together. But I don't like being dicked around when it comes to warranty. If I have a warranty right, I wanna use it because I have this hesitation. You know what mean?

I want to see what I can get Ford to do with the link Joegr gave me. Im gonna print that and take it in. If they Should replace the sparks, and I find out they didn't, is there a number I can contact (like a ford head office) to say they didn't provide me with the accurate service as described by the warranty?

I know that seems extreme, but my first impression wasn't very good with these guys.

Then again I suppose I could go to another Ford dealer and avoid the first guys I went to all together. But I don't like being dicked around when it comes to warranty. If I have a warranty right, I wanna use it because I have this hesitation. You know what mean?

I would go to the owner of said dealership. He is responsible for his service department. If his service dept can't provide proper service and maintance to your vehicle. You can go to another dealer that can and give that dealer your future business. Its up to him.

If they continue to jack you around, contact FoMoCo customer service hotline. Just ask any Ford dealer for the number.

As 'racist' statements go, who what race is insulted by the comment "drive it like a white man." Because, best I can tell, it's an insult directed toward "white people."

As a white person, I do not enjoy being profiled as driver who is averse to risk.

No other race is impugned or even referenced indirectly, so it clearly is a jab at Caucasians. Such intolerance will not be tolerated here. :eek:

As 'racist' statements go, who what race is insulted by the comment "drive it like a white man." Because, best I can tell, it's an insult directed toward "white people."

As a white person, I do not enjoy being profiled as driver who is averse to risk.

No other race is impugned or even referenced indirectly, so it clearly is a jab at Caucasians. Such intolerance will not be tolerated here. :eek:

sorry john, i was going to drop this one but since this guy is a mod you might want to check him too while youre at it.

"so it clearly is a jab at Caucasians"
thats why i said "F U racist scum". Are you saying that its ok to type racially charged comments here so long as they are 'jabs' at white people?

Members online

No members online now.
Back