Accel coils

Alax7

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
What is holding you back from getting accel coils? They are available locally, they fit with minor modifications(reversing the wires). One issue I had was not being able to use the stock cover. I know its been said that they seal tight, but I would like a tight seal plus a cover. I may be going to accel coils, I will also be making a cover for them using the stock one, some cutting here and there might be involved to make it taller, make it look purdy, then mold it. Just thought I would see your thoughts. I do have to get my ls back on the road first, but I like planning my mods ahead and then when funds are available, jumping straight into it.

Yeah I read that thread 2 times already, the second being today. That is a good fix too, not taking anything away from them, but like you said, it just adds one more thing that can go wrong, the first being the wire reversal and modifying the coil second. Once you have the wires reversed, buying them from the store and installing them as is along with a higher cover would be ideal for me.

I was also going to be contacting you about your brackets. Pm'd

What is holding you back from getting accel coils? They are available locally, they fit with minor modifications(reversing the wires). One issue I had was not being able to use the stock cover. I know its been said that they seal tight, but I would like a tight seal plus a cover. I may be going to accel coils, I will also be making a cover for them using the stock one, some cutting here and there might be involved to make it taller, make it look purdy, then mold it. Just thought I would see your thoughts. I do have to get my ls back on the road first, but I like planning my mods ahead and then when funds are available, jumping straight into it.

The only reason I'm leery of the Accel coils IS the coil cover. You fabricate a cover and I will purchase it should I switch to the Accel coils. I guess I would also need the hold-downs.....

i assume given the coil situation on these cars, that these accel's perform better/last longer?

how much alteration is required for the cover?

The only problem with fabricating a taller cover is the brake booster on the drivers side rear and the climate control duct on the passenger side rear. There is not much space to go any taller. I understand the desire for a cover but I believe it is better to have them out in cooler air. Brackets are $20 a set if anyone wants them
IMG00173-20111110-1434.jpg

100_1426.jpg

Thanks for the pics Hite. I'll have to order the coils to see how much can be increased.

Just putting the LS boots on them instead of using the 4.6 boots will drop them about an inch down. You would need a different retaining method other then Hite's brackets. I looked at using a piece of flat stock to hold them in place as well. That's still pretty much off the shelf, just mixing parts and have one custom retaining bracket. This only works if you ARE going to have some sort of sealed cover though.

Just putting the LS boots on them instead of using the 4.6 boots will drop them about an inch down. You would need a different retaining method other then Hite's brackets. I looked at using a piece of flat stock to hold them in place as well. That's still pretty much off the shelf, just mixing parts and have one custom retaining bracket. This only works if you ARE going to have some sort of sealed cover though.

+1 The LS boot will not seal the plug wells

Myself, I like the look of the Accels and the fresh air cant hurt either

soooo Visteons or accels or motorcraft?

or are all just as good as long as they are these three?

soooo Visteons or accels or motorcraft?

or are all just as good as long as they are these three?

All three are good, BUT

- Visteons are gone
- Accels require modification to work

Yes. They have a flange around the boot that will seal the plug wells if you push it in the well far enuf.

I know this thread is pretty old, but could someone please attach a link to a write up on how to reverse the connectors to work with the accel coils. I can't seem to find anything.

Members online

No members online now.
Back