ABS Warning Light & Check Traction Control

Bakeage

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

This is my first post. I just bought a used 02 LS 3.9 that was a bank repo. About 115K on it for around $5000. Its got more problems than a high school math book but its been fun fixing them and I'm got much of the info from this site, so thanks for all who have made posts. Anyways.

Currently got 2 problems,

1st, When I start up the car the ABS light illuminates and stays lit. When you start to drive, about 20 secs later the Traction control turns off and I get a message saying check traction control. I haven't taken it to a dealership yet and haven't really troubleshot it. Just looking for any help on that one.

2nd, The car idles pretty rough. It will be smooth for a couple seconds, then it feels like the rpms drop and the car shakes slightly. Also when you drive it, between 40-60mph the car will sometimes shake and feel like it wants to stall when you accelerate. I've changed the plugs, and noticed oil in the plug wells. I'm getting ready to install new VC gaskets and replace all the coils. As well as to a compression test. I'll keep this tread posted on the outcome of that. Hope to help someone. Any advice would be appricated. In the military at Ft. Bragg, hardly get much time to work on the car, but love when I do. Thanks.

The idle and stumbling problem sounds like the coils. You can get 8 of them on ebay for about $200. You might as well do all of them when you replace the VC gaskets. I have heard that dirty wheel speed sensors cause some of the ABS/Trac controll problems. Try finding and cleaning the wheel speed sensors/make sure they are not unplugged.

I just had the exact problem (#1) and it was the wheel sensor. I believe the entire hub assembly has to be replaced...dealer replaced mine under extended warranty.

Good luck at Ft. Bragg...I'm stationed at Scott AFB, IL.

I had the ABS light come on and stay on as well, and the Check Advanctrack messege. I had to replace the abs control module. About 700.00 for the part, but there are guys on here who can probably get it cheaper for you. Have it diagnosed first, of course...

Thanks a ton for the respondses. I'm bringing the vechical to a firestone from them to hook it up on their ABS computer. Hope they can tell me what the problem is. I heard from a couple guys working at autozone that it might be my speed sensor. Hope thats it, some fix under $200 would be nice for a change:) Gonna tackle the VC gaskets and put in the new coils this weekend. I'll update with good news, hopefully.

P.S. Good :q:q:q:q about the Air force, my wife and dad were air force. Army is a lot :q:q:q:qter, wish I would have went that route:)

Members online

No members online now.
Back