ABS problem

biged143

New LVC Member
Reaction score
When driving the abs can be heard, when braking there is a pedal "push back" just before full stop. The ABS light lights only on start up never when braking. Also there si a slight thumping noise like an out of round rotor. However 4 new rotors, front and rear pad and rear calipers have not helped. Front calipers are about a year old. Pads showed normal wear,equal wear zone so calipers are fine. Any thoughts ?2001 Lincoln Cont. We need it for the winter because 2004 town car is rear wheel drive! PM replies welcome!!

Air in the system. I had that exact same symptom as well as I had a spongy brake pedal. I figured out after a new brake booster, master cylinder, and two shops that "supposedly" bled the system. A friend of mine (backyard mechanic) saw what I was having to put up with for a year and a half, and he had the problem fixed within an hour including time to replace ****ty brake pads one of shops gave me with proper brake pads.

All that extra hassle and money could've been used to replace my rear end suspension -_-.

Long story short, bleed it proper.

Air in the system. I had that exact same symptom as well as I had a spongy brake pedal. I figured out after a new brake booster, master cylinder, and two shops that "supposedly" bled the system. A friend of mine (backyard mechanic) saw what I was having to put up with for a year and a half, and he had the problem fixed within an hour including time to replace ****ty brake pads one of shops gave me with proper brake pads.

All that extra hassle and money could've been used to replace my rear end suspension -_-.

Long story short, bleed it proper.
Fudge 12 thanks for the reply. I have bled the brakes with a hose and bottle. That is I have a hose connected to the bleeder screw and into a bottle with brake fluid. I can see the air coming out of the hose. What way did your friend do it ?

Fudge 12 thanks for the reply. I have bled the brakes with a hose and bottle. That is I have a hose connected to the bleeder screw and into a bottle with brake fluid. I can see the air coming out of the hose. What way did your friend do it ?

The two man method. Have someone sit in the drivers seat and mash the brake pedal as you turn the bleeder screw. NEVER let go of the brake while the bleeder screw is open; this will cause air to be sucked back into the system and will be a pain in the @$$ to get all the air out again. As you open the bleeder screw, your friend will feel the brake pedal sink to the floor. Just have him yell "floor" when the pedal hits the floor and you can tighten back the screw. Have him pump the pedal until it's hard again, and repeat the process 2 - 3 times per side and add fluid as necessary.

Another thing, don't reuse old fluid no matter how long it's been in the system. Use new fluid.

The two man method. Have someone sit in the drivers seat and mash the brake pedal as you turn the bleeder screw. NEVER let go of the brake while the bleeder screw is open; this will cause air to be sucked back into the system and will be a pain in the @$$ to get all the air out again. As you open the bleeder screw, your friend will feel the brake pedal sink to the floor. Just have him yell "floor" when the pedal hits the floor and you can tighten back the screw. Have him pump the pedal until it's hard again, and repeat the process 2 - 3 times per side and add fluid as necessary.

Another thing, don't reuse old fluid no matter how long it's been in the system. Use new fluid.
Fudge I have been a certified truck/he mechanic for over 50 years and have always used the 2 man bleeding method. Maybe I will look around for someone with a "bleeder ball" and open all 4 lines at once. However my gut says it is not an air problem. Onl way to figure it out is process of elimination.

Members online

No members online now.
Back