A new noise/sound..whiz-zip

dnsherrill

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I noticed this 'new' sound tonight, after driving about 80 hwy miles , unable to pinpoint a cause or direct correlation...it seems to somewhat tied to accelerating, but not always-it's intermittent...my tranny is doing fine- not slipping or struggling to go into reverse...
I recently changed stock exhaust to true dual 2.5'', no more 3rd cat or resonator..
I also bought a Ford SCT xcal2 today..plugged it in to my car to see if it is functional, it has a tune for a different car (Mustang), so I didn't actually change my PCM, at least I don't think I did

I noticed this 'new' sound tonight, after driving about 80 hwy miles , unable to pinpoint a cause or direct correlation...it seems to somewhat tied to accelerating, but it's very intermittent...my tranny seems to be doing fine- not slipping or struggling to go into reverse...
I recently changed stock exhaust to true dual 2.5'', no more 3rd cat or resonator..
I also bought a Ford SCT xcal2 today..plugged it in to my car but it has a tune for a different car (Mustang), so I didn't actually change my PCM, at least I don't think I did

I would take that tune off asap dude. If that tune went on your car it'll mess up your computer from what I've heard. You need to have the SCT xcal2 wiped clean and have a custom tune made for your mark, a mustang tune won't work and will f*ck with your pcm. Post this in the Lincoln Mark VIII General section so you get more help with this, I don't think many people go into the Lincoln mechanical section.

I didn't load the tune, I don't even know that it is Cobra tune, other than that's what the seller told me...all the programer said was 'wrong vehicle'....

A worn belt, and or tensioner could be a cause.

Just a thought.

And serpentine belts are tricky to look at to tell if they are worn.

yep, that was my first thought...it was replaced about 15k ago....maybe it is the belt and it's weather related...drove all the way in pouring rain tonight, another wait, listen, and watch
...now what to do with this XCAL2...DR will email me a tune for $75

If your not gonna use the xcal2 im sure you could flip it for like 100-150, thats if your not gonna use it. Or you could get a custom tune for your mark, are you gonna put gears in first?

If your not gonna use the xcal2 im sure you could flip it for like 100-150, thats if your not gonna use it. Or you could get a custom tune for your mark, are you gonna put gears in first?
..not really looking at changing the rear end, my money tree is not bearing any exra fruit at the moment....I'll use the XCAL2...so far Lonnie at Blue Oval seems like a much better choice than the guy in Fla...right now I'm trying to diagnose this whining/whizzing/zip noise, I don't think it's the tranny (driveability is as it should be), the mystery noise seems to be coming from under the hood; i still have the orig alt, and it's keeping my battery charged well over 12 with a full load on..the noise lasts < 2 secs and seems to happen when I accelerate from a stand still, but there's no predicting when it will happen, def not a regular thing...YET

A worn belt, and or tensioner could be a cause.

Just a thought.

And serpentine belts are tricky to look at to tell if they are worn.
while I know my belt is in good shape, I'm really starting to think one of those pulleys, or the tensioner could be the culprit...a friend/mechanic suggested I remove the serp and drive a short ways to see if my symptoms disappear..leaving work tonight it made a ton of racket upon start up/idle...but quieted down (almost to normal) pretty quickly
wait and see, and listen....
it def makes more racket when starting cold, then quiets some pretty quickly, no more whizzing/whining....
can I tell by looking at the water pump if it's slipping/going bad? when at curb idle it's spinning it seems to revolve at varying rates..heater off

found a small puddle of water under my car, clear water....from defrost? it's kinda far back, past the Tq Conv..both the tensior and idler pulleys make noise, as does the alt pulley...water pump seems mostly okay from the outside, the shaft does not spin completely smooth

Members online

No members online now.
Back