A/c compressor, '03 LS

footballcoach

LVC Member
Reaction score
I need to replace my compressor. One site says there are two different compressors for a V8: 1) 8 cyl (3.9) thru 11/17/2002 and; 2) 8 cyl (3.9) from 2002.

How can I tell which one I need?

Thanks.

You want the 2nd gen part (2003 and up model, 2002 up build date).
You also need to get the dryer and oil. You can ignore the expansion valve, it's too much work to replace it unless you are certain it is bad. If your old compressor seized, you need to get the refrigerant system flush and use it.

You can ignore the expansion valve, it's too much work to replace it unless you are certain it is bad.
You ain't lying about that! What a poor design. Pull the dash to change the expansion valve.

Coach what are your symptoms? My '03 has high low side pressure and low high side pressure even though the compressor runs constantly.

...? My '03 has high low side pressure and low high side pressure even though the compressor runs constantly.

There's a valve at the back of the compressor that may be the problem. I've heard that some have replaced it and solved their pumping problem. Does your AC work at higher RPMs? Maybe it will be this. It could be the expansion valve, but I'd try the easy to change one on the compressor first. (Note that you will have to discharge/recover the refrigerant, evacuate, and refill.)

joegr,
The A/C was not putting out cold air so I took it in to have refrigerant replaced. It works fine now but I was told the compressor is leaking. If it's possible, can the seals be replaced w/o buying a whole compressor? Thanks.

joegr,
The A/C was not putting out cold air so I took it in to have refrigerant replaced. It works fine now but I was told the compressor is leaking. If it's possible, can the seals be replaced w/o buying a whole compressor? Thanks.

Nope. (The only exception is if it is leaking at the seal at the valve at the back of the compressor. That can be replaced. However, on the three I've had to leak, it wasn't from there.)

The major problem is that when the compressor starts leaking, it leaks out the compressor oil first. I caught all three of mine while it was still just oil leaking. You want to replace them before the refrigerant starts leaking out too. If the compressor runs dry of oil, it can send little bits of metal all over the system. Then you will have to pull out the dash, and you may have to replace the whole system.

joegr,
Compressors typically aren't all that expensive. Labor to replace it shouldn't be any more than changing shaft seal.

OK. But back to my original question. I understand an '03 is considered "Gen II" but that isn't an option at this website. When I searched for a compressor, this was one of the first results:
http://www.automotix.net/usedautoparts/2003-lincoln-ls-ac_compressor-inventory.html

There, it says "There are 3 compressors for an '03 LS."
Then, "Please choose an option" with a drop down window.
Then, it lists the two choices I put in my 1st post along with one for a V6, which doesn't apply so I didn't mention it originally.
Which of the two choices for a V8 should I purchase?
Thanks.

Coach, check your built-date on the sticker inside the drivers side door jam.
it will say when your LS was build at the Wixom plant.

The used A/C compressor you are trying to purchase has two units for your GEN II.

1) thru 11/17/2002 (meaning up until build date November 17th, 2002)

2) from 11/18/2002 (meaning anything on/or after build date November 18th, 2002)

Kinda scratching my head here also as what possibly could be the difference but nonetheless pick up the one that corresponds with the build date of your LS.

Another option you may try is visit your local Lincoln/Ford dealership, head for the pesky parts counter and have your VIN with you. Tell them you may be interested in an A/C compressor if the price is right, get them to search by VIN, which will guarantee the correct part, politely ask them for the part number (*appear interested and pleased with the fact he's doing such a good job) and further more, ask if they could possible provide and exploded view printout of the Compressor and it's associated system, ask them how much, ask them if they might be able to provide a further discount, even another 10% is a bonus, ask them if they have it in stock or how long to get it in. They might want a deposit before getting it for you.

You take the P/N, exploded view printout and their best offered price and walk out, then search google using P/N and description for next best price.

Don't forget, this is old "laying around inventory" in out lining warehouses that they can't use and are dying to get rid of, insist on a better deal!

Another option you may try is visit your local Lincoln/Ford dealership, head for the pesky parts counter and have your VIN with you.

And don't be surprised when you go to the Lincoln dealer to ask about LS parts and the parts guy goes
mitchmcconnellcaptionthishandsinair.jpg

parts.jpg

Noo, no, that's not it either, you sure it's a Lincoln Sir?

crew-ob.jpg

I swear he said an 03' Lincoln LS !?!?!

2R8Z-19V703-BA is the right part number for an 03 V8. (It's the same for 2003 to 2006. The production date should only matter for the V6.) That one is about $481. You'll also need a new dryer. The third time around, I decided to cheap out and try aftermarket (<$200). So far so good, but it will be a couple of years before I know if it was a good choice. (I have the tools to evacuate and charge the system, so the cost to change out compressors is just the cost of the refrigerant, dryer, and compressor for me.)

The only date I see on the sticker is 05/03.
@joegr: Thanks for identifying the part number. That helped a lot.
Would this one work?
http://m.ebay.com/itm/301620413231?nav=SEARCH

That's the Chinese brand that I am currently testing on my 04, only I got it directly from http://www.buyautoparts.com/
I'm not sure that the one you linked is the correct one. If you go to there site, and select 2003 Lincoln LS (and then 3.9L), you should get the correct one.
They also sell a dryer, or a kit with the compressor, dryer, o-ring seals, oil, and expansion valve. (just toss out the expansion valve if you get the kit)

I've only had it on for a couple of months, so I can't say if it's a good deal or not yet. So far, it is quiet and it delivered the correct pressures and is cooling just like the OEM one.

Can't anything on these LSes be easy?

You ain't lying about that! What a poor design. Pull the dash to change the expansion valve.

Coach what are your symptoms? My '03 has high low side pressure and low high side pressure even though the compressor runs constantly.

There's a valve at the back of the compressor that may be the problem. I've heard that some have replaced it and solved their pumping problem. Does your AC work at higher RPMs? Maybe it will be this. It could be the expansion valve, but I'd try the easy to change one on the compressor first. (Note that you will have to discharge/recover the refrigerant, evacuate, and refill.)

I have the same symptoms as Gus. My '03 also blows hot air, has hi lo side pressure and lo hi side pressure on a fresh recharge with the compressor running (jumpered relay.) My buddy said when he had his A/C shop those symptoms indicated a bad expansion valve. What's the valve at the back of the compressor and has anyone solved these symptoms changing that? Gus, where did you end up on yours?

Thanks in advance for your help.

The valve at the back of the scroll compressor seems to be known as the "control valve." My experience with Ford is that the symptoms you have are more likely to be the scroll compressor (or its control valve) than the expansion valve. (This is specific to Ford scroll compressors only.) This is good, because the whole dash has to come out to replace the expansion valve.

The cheap Chinese compressor that I tried failed in exactly this way (lo high side pressure) after a month or so. It would cool at higher engine revs, but not at all at idle. I transferred the o-ring from the control valve from the Chinese compressor to the Ford compressor that was leaking and put it back in. So far, so good. It's working well and no longer leaking.

The valve at the back of the scroll compressor seems to be known as the "control valve." My experience with Ford is that the symptoms you have are more likely to be the scroll compressor (or its control valve) than the expansion valve. (This is specific to Ford scroll compressors only.) This is good, because the whole dash has to come out to replace the expansion valve.

The cheap Chinese compressor that I tried failed in exactly this way (lo high side pressure) after a month or so. It would cool at higher engine revs, but not at all at idle. I transferred the o-ring from the control valve from the Chinese compressor to the Ford compressor that was leaking and put it back in. So far, so good. It's working well and no longer leaking.

Thanks Joe, I'm tempted to buy the control valve and a couple o-rings and give that a shot.

RCodePaul, pics of in-progress if you could, AC on my list also.

hey been awhile since I been on the site. So I have the blow super cold at high rpms (highway) and hot any other time
you ask this after you said it could be the expansion valve so I am confused as if this is the fix for the rpm issue also do you have any replacement instructions thanks like always

Recover refrigerant. Measure amount of oil lost. Remove two bolts holding plate on the back of the compressor. Replace control valve, screen, and o-ring. Bolt plate back on.
Remove dryer/receiver. Drill hole in old dryer and drain out and measure amount of oil. Pour the same amount (amount from dryer plus amount from recovery) of new oil in the new dryer. Install new dryer/receiver. Pull high vacuum on system for at least thirty minutes. Recharge with 28 oz of R-134a refrigerant.

Note: Please first verify that this is an RPM issue and not an airflow issue. With the car in park. Raise the engine RPM to 2500. If the AC now cools correctly, it is possible that replacing the scroll control valve may fix it. If the AC cools riding down the road, but not sitting still at 2500 RPM, you probably have an engine fan problem.

I have the same symptoms as Gus. My '03 also blows hot air, has hi lo side pressure and lo hi side pressure on a fresh recharge with the compressor running (jumpered relay.) My buddy said when he had his A/C shop those symptoms indicated a bad expansion valve. What's the valve at the back of the compressor and has anyone solved these symptoms changing that? Gus, where did you end up on yours?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I haven't done anything with it. It's been a cool summer so far in Chicago, so it hasn't been an issue.
I'm hanging a 1/4 on a salvage '11 G37XS to replace the LS, so it will someone else's issue next year.

All I know is, one day the A/C wasn't working. When I took it in to have it checked I was told I had a small leak but it should be ok for awhile after the refrigerant was replaced. It's still cooling now. I'll replace the necessary parts in a couple of months. Football practice starts August 3 and I need my car every day.

Hey all,

I'm having the same issue on my 04 v6. Cold only when on the highway. High low side, low high side. Got a small recharge can, but it didn't really do anything but push the low side higher.
Anyways, does anyone have a writeup on the compressor replacement?
I might try to do it myself, but I'm thinking this is going to be the one that broke the camel's back for me, as I'm starting to notice the DCCV not doing its job too.
Thats too much $$$ to throw down.

Hey all,

I'm having the same issue on my 04 v6. Cold only when on the highway. High low side, low high side. Got a small recharge can, but it didn't really do anything but push the low side higher.
Anyways, does anyone have a writeup on the compressor replacement?
I might try to do it myself, but I'm thinking this is going to be the one that broke the camel's back for me, as I'm starting to notice the DCCV not doing its job too.
Thats too much $$$ to throw down.

Did it and it was a pain!! I had a quote from a local indie for, IIRC, an hour and half labour. For that money THEY can do it!!!! The most expensive part is the compressor itself. I would go with Rock Auto....

Did it and it was a pain!! I had a quote from a local indie for, IIRC, an hour and half labour. For that money THEY can do it!!!! The most expensive part is the compressor itself. I would go with Rock Auto....

How much time and how bad was it? Did you replace the drier as well? Did you get the part numbers?

Members online

No members online now.
Back