A/C Air Compressor

Midas78

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I took my car to the dealership, b/c my A/C wasn't working. I just got an estimate for $1,025.79+tax to replace the A/C compressor and add freon. The tech said the a/c compressor itself was $750.

Called a local garage they could get the same a/c compressor for $489, guy said he took $50 off the price of the part. They want $873.06 for the work. I'm already having to pay a $98 diagnostic fee to the Dealership, so its not really worth it to take somewhere else. Unless I can get the part for less.

Has anyone else needed their a/c compressor replaced?

I saw Five Star Ford has this part for <$300.

Make sure you ask is the part new or remanufactured - even dealers have Reman parts.

The $750 included the freon and more than just the compressor. It also includes the pulley, disc, and magnet, a little more detail than he initially told me. I could've gotten the parts for ~$500 by ordering through FiveStarFord and had a local shop do the labor for $330, but I still would have to pay the dealership $98 for the diagnostic, so I would only save about $100 to not have the dealership do it.

This is just a heads up for anyone else who may need to get their AC air compressor replaced. The car has ~117k and this part was bound to wear out.

Since I live in FL and the car is black, A/C is not an option. May all of your A/C air compressors have long lives or trade/sell the car before 100k miles.

how was your a/c acting? e.g. worked fine and just quit? blow hot and cold out opposite sides? didn't work at all for a while?..

I keep the auto-temp at 78, which is pretty high already, and I've been keeping the window down since its been so cool the past few months. I barely noticed the air stopped working until it starting get warmer here.

I do remember the A/C making the whistling noise louder before I started just rolling down the windows and turning it off. When it got hot outside, I turned it on and all it blew was hot air no matter where the thermostat was set, with the A/C on or off. Not cool air, not cool then gradually warmer, just hot air.

Are you having symptons of an A/C problem? I did a search before creating this thread and alot of people just had leaky hose problems with their A/C.

Should have tried just having the freon refilled first. AC systems should be serviced every 5 years or so, which means the old refridgerant and oil should be evacuated from the system, then placed under vacuum to remove any moisture that may have slipped in. After that it's refilled and re-oiled and its good to go for a few more years.
R-134 refridgerant will actually seep through the hoses in the system over time. The molecules are so small that they can fit between the molecules that make up the hoses and escape the system. Older cars that have been converted from R-12 to R-134 are worse about it because of the old hoses, they often need to be refilled at least once a year even though there are no obvious signs of leakage. My truck is like that, I keep a refill kit and a few extra cans of refridgerant around.

Members online

No members online now.
Back