_Ways to give my LS soem more HP_

dtx01

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
i know there is a post about this already but since i'm a noob i could use a little more clarity on the issue.

ok so i recently bought an K&N intake which should give me 10-20+ hp on my ride but i'm also looking into other way to increase performance safely. i want to add a magnaflow exhaust whenever it's released but i've heard of something called a SCT flasher? as well as CAI..?

could you guys give some clarity on what they are and how much they cost/how to install them. thanks a lot.

also are there any other way to make my car faster besides going to the extreme, nitrous? thanks. :D

CAI=cold air intake. That is your K&N FIPK

SCT= superchips custom tuning
Typically via the Xcal2: $399ish from fastpartsnetwork

And that's it for simple bolt-ons

oh ok. my dad had a 04' dodge rumblebee and i know he hooked something up to it to make it faster. would that be the same thing or would it not work cause its not made for ford?

also what kind of performance things would it do for me / what kind of mpg does someone typically get with one of those on an LS?

Really the only things you can do to an LS is the KKM, CAI Tube, Exhaust and SCT on an 00-02 that should put you into the 290-310HP range. Until Quick gets his Supercharger kit ready for sale.

The SCT will cost you about $400 (fastpartsnet) and will net you the biggest gain, figurer about an extra 20HP and only take's about 10 min to do. After that is the exhaust ether Borla like me or the Magnaflow (LSKoncepts) thats the most expensive part at about $700 and the hardiest to install since its under the car but not impossible figurer thats another 15 horse and a day to install. And last but not least the CAI and filter togther you'll get about 10HP for around $300 and install in under 30 min.

Keep in mind as you add more it lets what you all ready have do more. For example the exhaust by its self may only be about 15 horse but with the CAI the engine can breath better so you will get closer or past the that 20HP mark.

As far as MPG after doing all the mods my milage actually went up from around 14.5 to 16 MPG.

ok now. with a flasher how would i know what the best settings would be for my car?

although the unit allows you to adjust certain things - most of us simply work with the person making the tunes for our cars - using his expertise - and load the files from him without doing any tweaking ourselves.

I asked him to:
- most power possible
- remove the rev limiter from P/N
- adjust the speedo for my slightly smaller tires
- firm up the shifts

- that is of course before my supercharger project - where we have more things to fiddle with...

ok now. with a flasher how would i know what the best settings would be for my car?

Well if you order from fastpartsnetwork.com I know they throw in 3 premade files for the LS that seem to work pretty go as a starting point but other then that ya what quick said.

thanks a lot. i'm going to wait till all my other performance parts are installed untill i get a tuner.

Hom many hp will the Xcal2 get you if you tont have CAI or custom exaust?

Depends on the tune but i'd say you can expect at least 15 if not 20HP. Any one of the upgrade available for the LS are worth it all in all I think the the Xcal give you the most bang for your buck as not only dose it give you just as much if not more power then the exhaust or CAI it also give you control over the trany and timing as well as a code scanner

i know there is a post about this already but since i'm a noob i could use a little more clarity on the issue.

ok so i recently bought an K&N intake which should give me 10-20+ hp on my ride but i'm also looking into other way to increase performance safely. i want to add a magnaflow exhaust whenever it's released but i've heard of something called a SCT flasher? as well as CAI..?

could you guys give some clarity on what they are and how much they cost/how to install them. thanks a lot.

also are there any other way to make my car faster besides going to the extreme, nitrous? thanks. :D
Get the SCT from Torrie at FPN

CAI Intake from K&N:
kandn.jpg

Exhaust from Magnaflow:
surround.jpg

Kelleyo,

Do you have some side pictures of your Magnaflow tips? I'm wanting to get either mufflers or entire custom exhaust Magnaflow like T_Man's.

WOW! was just looking around, glad i stumbled upon this post. i didnt want anything to do with power with this car becuase i just simply thought there wasnt enough aftermarket support.

40-60hp gain with just bolt on's is pretty significant to me. 300hp would be awesome to get out of my 2000 LS. wonder if a tranny with 107k on it can handle 300hp

300hp would be awesome to get out of my 2000 LS.

Other vets might chime in, but I don't think I've seen a dyno chart posted that shows going from 252hp to 300hp with simple bolt ons?

Admittedly, QuickLS would be the man to know for sure..

i mean with the SCT xcal, exhaust, kkm intake, and cai tube. i wouldve hoped someone wouldve corrected the guy who said that earlier in the post. but to me those are all bolt on's, hooking something up to your OBDII port isnt exactly knuckle busting engine work lol.

on a side note...

Quik LS stated that when he first used the Xcal2, on level 3 WOT there was alot of pinging. is this always going to happen?

GrayGhost - Ken - had a dyno day a few years back where he took his 1st Gen with bolts-ons and a tune and matched the 2nd Gens. so that was nearly 30hp without pushing it.

The third tune was too much timing and pinged. I worked with Torrie to keep adjusting until it was perfect. I datalogged, e-mail him the output, he made a new tune and e-mailed me back.

Again, that's why I deferred to the other known vets who have done major work (ie Quik) for their input, as well as my reference to an actual dyno chart.

Butt dynos are one thing...hardcopy dyno charts often are another. ;-)

A Gen 1 LS with full bolt ons (CAI, Tune, Exhaust, 3.58's) will be pretty much spot on dead even with a Gen 2 with its full bolt ons (CAI, Tune) in reference to 1/4 mile time. Both will turn a 14.2 on occasion while hitting 14.3's pretty consistently with a good driver, though the Gen2 will sliiiightly edge the Gen1 out in the end. The power of a full bolton Gen1 will be very close to 300 horsepower.

A Gen 1 LS with full bolt ons (CAI, Tune, Exhaust, 3.58's) will be pretty much spot on dead even with a Gen 2 with its full bolt ons (CAI, Tune) in reference to 1/4 mile time. Both will turn a 14.2 on occasion while hitting 14.3's pretty consistently with a good driver, though the Gen2 will sliiiightly edge the Gen1 out in the end. The power of a full bolton Gen1 will be very close to 300 horsepower.

Im guessing you mean "very close to 280hp"..which is where a stock Gen II LS is.

If you are saying a gen 2 with 280hp will slightly edge out a modded Gen I with 300hp...something aint adding up. LOL.

Speaking for gen 2 LS V8.

K&N FIPK intake Kit on a 03 T-Bird dyno @15.69 hp gain. <> $ 270.00 from Iskoncepts http://www.lskoncepts.com/store/lincoln-intake-components-c-288_373_307.php

Just a drop in K&N air filter, 2-3hp gain. <> $40.00 from Iskoncepts. http://www.lskoncepts.com/store/kn-air-filter-p-197.php

SCT Xcal2 with 3 tunes say from Torrie, 14-15hp gain maybe 5 more with extreme tune with racing gas. <> $400.00. http://www.fastpartsnetwork.com/content/view/14/

Gen 2 exhausts not that much of a gain for the money, 4 to 8hp gain. <> $750.00.

Going from dino to full synthetic oil, 5 to 8 hp gain. http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Horsepower.htm

Im guessing you mean "very close to 280hp"..which is where a stock Gen II LS is.

If you are saying a gen 2 with 280hp will slightly edge out a modded Gen I with 300hp...something aint adding up. LOL.

No, I meant what I originally said. A full bolt on Gen 1 will top out at just under 300 hp and, when driven properly, will be good for solid 14.3's and probably skim a 14.2. The best time a Gen 2 N/A LS has ran is a 14.2... The reason I know this is because it was my car that ran it. When we start offering the 4.10 LSD swaps then I foresee some Gen2's hitting 13's N/A and possibly a few Gen1's also.

A full bolt on Gen2 will barely edge out a full bolt on Gen1. Of course there are more bolt ons for the Gen 1 than Gen 2 so that is taken into account here.

Trust me, my addition is just fine.

Royal Purple® high performance lubricants on a LS1 Camaro freed up 9 horsepower. Not bad for less than a $100 and less than an hour of work

it could also be the fact it sat for an hour and cooled down lol.

well guys, the only answer is this....nitrous. LOL

No, I meant what I originally said. A full bolt on Gen 1 will top out at just under 300 hp and, when driven properly, will be good for solid 14.3's and probably skim a 14.2. The best time a Gen 2 N/A LS has ran is a 14.2... The reason I know this is because it was my car that ran it. When we start offering the 4.10 LSD swaps then I foresee some Gen2's hitting 13's N/A and possibly a few Gen1's also.

A full bolt on Gen2 will barely edge out a full bolt on Gen1. Of course there are more bolt ons for the Gen 1 than Gen 2 so that is taken into account here.

Trust me, my addition is just fine.

OK!

GrayGhost - Ken - had a dyno day a few years back where he took his 1st Gen with bolts-ons and a tune and matched the 2nd Gens. so that was nearly 30hp without pushing it.

The third tune was too much timing and pinged. I worked with Torrie to keep adjusting until it was perfect. I datalogged, e-mail him the output, he made a new tune and e-mailed me back.

Ahh...that sounds about what I was thinking. 30hp. Thanks for the input Quik.

Members online

Back