98 Northstar 4.6 vs LSC 4.6

Lincoln Noob

New LVC Member
Reaction score
K, im thinking of buying an 98 sts or a 98 lsc. I want some input strictly on the differences in the power train, as the cars themselves are not really similar.

Im curious about longevity, common problems with each, problems in the drivetrain, things to watch out for, etc...

Now, I know there are die hard caddie fans and lincoln fans, and to be honest, I am a ford fan, so I tend to lean towards the Mark, but if you can be as impartial as possible, that would be great...

If stock for stock the northstar would beat the LSC 4.6. If you are thinking about modding the car the LSC 4.6 is better then the northstar.

not really thinking of performance, moreso comparing the 2 as far as build quality, and things like that...

Lincoln Noob said:
not really thinking of performance, moreso comparing the 2 as far as build quality, and things like that...
then I think the 4.6 would be better then the northstar since the engine drinks oil. But some say that it is normal for the engine to eat oil.

caddilac vs town car

I traded my 1998 Deville after a head gasket problem started after 57,000 miles. Traded it on a 2001 Town car, hopefully I will have better luck with the
Town car. I kept records of maintenance and changed oil and fluids on a regular basis on my deville so i think you can eliminate improper care regarding
the deville. good luck with your choice.

I would go with the Mark. I believe the Northstar is front wheel drive, I myself prefer rear wheel. The Northstar is alot higher maintanance over the LSC 4.6. Overall I believe the Mark would be a better buy. Even though your not out for performance the power of the 2 are very close, the Mark pulls alot better at higher speeds though.

I guess it is a matter of preference.

Both are fast cars. From what I know the STS has the Mark on the start, Mark has the STS in the upper end.

STS - Front Wheel Drive, Mark VIII Rear Wheel Drive (the tourque you feel from the real wheel drive IMO is a lot nicer). Front Wheel Drive better in snow.

Both have and Air Ride, Both loaded with excellent features.

I like the style of both..

Mark VIII has more mods for a lot more fun.... Basically a heavy weight plush Mustang.

I definatly like the mark as far as look, i like the dohc cobra motor, i like rear wheel drive, and i like 2 doors vs 4. The StS is appointed nicer in 98, IMO, and was a more expensive car brand new. I think the STS is more practical, with its 4 doors, and lets face it, its a very stylish 4 door sedan. I have driven a couple 98 STS's and a 94 mark, and the mark just wasnt as nice to drive, IMO.

I think the way it sits, the marks are a bit cheaper than the STS's, with years and mileage being similar, and as I said, I like fords, so I lean towards the fords, and it sounds like there is less buggs in the mark than the northstars....

anymore experiences will be welcome, I want to hear as much as possible.

The ultimate question to me is: DOES AN STS HAVE AIR RIDE???

If not, then this is a no-brainer. STS all the way.

fossten said:
The ultimate question to me is: DOES AN STS HAVE AIR RIDE???

If not, then this is a no-brainer. STS all the way.

HA.......HA.

I'll take a Mark over an STS any day of the week. A simple coil over conversion solves ALOT of problems if you don't want to deal with it.

Personally, I Have the tools to diagnose lincoln air ride problmes, and have never had one FAIL on me to the point I could'nt get it home. The air ride systems in these cars are really quite simple to work on, you just have to ask around here (or any other lincoln related site) as to what you will need.

It is a proven fact that the Northstar is an oil burner. My buddy's STS burns a quart every 1500 Miles, and has had it in the GM garage multiple times to try to fix it (no luck). The heads have a habit of warping if the engine gets even a little hot, keep in mind the W/P is driven by a belt that is less than 1/2" wide, and when broken, you only know cause the gauge starts reading in the red. Combustion chambers have been known to carbon up causing a slight knock.

The same STS, has had multiple wheel speed sensors replaced to alieveate an ABS light, A steering position sensor caused the car to shut down while running down the highway at 90 MPH (I was driving during this), and an ignition sensor caused the anti theft system to acitvate one night 500 miles from home, and not let us start it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It may just be me, but I have had HORRIBLE luck with GM cars, mostly Cadillac, but not limited to just them. The most trouble I have had with a Mark has been the common GEN2 cold start problem, and that was'nt even my car. Every problem that I have had with a MarkVIII has been a cheap and easy fix. Helped mostly by the people on these sites.

Go with the Mark :D

I own a 1999 Cadillac DeVille with the 4.6 North Star and it is true, they do use oil, about 1 to 2 quarts between oil changes but that is completely normal for the North Star's, even an 08 DTS uses oil but the car has a 7.5 quart oil capacity so a quart or two isnt going to hurt anything. Performance wise, the North Star will beat a LSC any day! its just more advanced than the old truck engines they put in the Lincolns! its a fact, Lincoln's are always years behind Cadillac, Cadillac has offered sat nav since 2003, lincoln just offered it in 2007, LED taillamps have been standard since 2000, lincoln has yet to offer them as an option or standard equip. if your looking for a car to hot rod, go with the lincoln, if your going for an everyday driver that is quiet, very comfortable, and reliable, go with the Cadillac.

-Taylor

I own a 1999 Cadillac DeVille with the 4.6 North Star and it is true, they do use oil, about 1 to 2 quarts between oil changes but that is completely normal for the North Star's, even an 08 DTS uses oil but the car has a 7.5 quart oil capacity so a quart or two isnt going to hurt anything. Performance wise, the North Star will beat a LSC any day! its just more advanced than the old truck engines they put in the Lincolns! its a fact, Lincoln's are always years behind Cadillac, Cadillac has offered sat nav since 2003, lincoln just offered it in 2007, LED taillamps have been standard since 2000, lincoln has yet to offer them as an option or standard equip. if your looking for a car to hot rod, go with the lincoln, if your going for an everyday driver that is quiet, very comfortable, and reliable, go with the Cadillac.

-Taylor

psssssssst............ this thread is old, look at the date of the last post. and as for the argument everyone knows where i stand

tattoo.30.JPG

fwd.gif

you know, if you can deal with adding a little oil from time to time, id go with the cadillac. ive owned 3 lincolns and when i test drove my 01 deville, i drove off with it that night and left the lincoln. i got tired of driving dressed up fords. (ok, so cadillac is a nice gm, but my car isnt riding on the same platform, nor does it look the same as 2 other lesser cars in the companys car line up). i can barely tell the new towncars apart from the crown vics.

both are good cars, your best bet is to spend a little time with both and see which you like. i have never really liked the marks styling, inside or out, it does has a fantastic rear end, but they got bored with the front end of the car.

and really, the front wheel drive thing isnt such a big deal, i dont notice any torque steer when i accelerate, but let me tell you, i sure dont miss the ass end of my lincoln sliding out on wet roads!

Members online

Back