98 Lincoln Mark VIII Brake Proportioning Valve

escacleo

LVC Member
Reaction score
I own a 98 Lincoln Mark 8 and am on vacation in Littleton Co. The Brake Proportioning Valve started leaking and I am having trouble finding this part.

If anyone is willing to sell this part to me so I can get home that would be greatly appreciated.

Also would a 96 Brake Proportioning Valve off a Lincoln Mark 8 work?

Thanks for anyone who is able to help me. It is a 1,000 mile drive and I would rather not have to craigslist this car in order to get back home.

EDIT: I called 2 ford dealerships. First one said the 96 one wont work. Second one said 94-98 were the same part and it would work...

The one in the drivers wheel well right brass one?
I think a 96 would work
I have a 97 for sale
Couldn't shipp till tomorrow night though.

Yea that sounds like it. Brass top aluminum bottom. Someone sent me a PM to a place in KY that said they have it. They are going to remove it and check it out. Seems like I had better keep my change jar filled and start buying up 98 mark pieces. I love this car. But restoring it seems like a lot of work :). I'll know by tomorrow if the piece this place has is in working condition.

I'll be checking here more frequently. Once I get back to WI I'm going to need ABS wheel sensors and I'm going to remove the front air suspension as it costs too much to fix.

I'm not proud to say that I drove my 98 with the valve in the drivers fender well leaking for over a year. I kept filling it and never had a low pedal. Everytime I went to the junkyard I forgot to get one. Don't worry about it. you'll be fine!

A puddle develops overnight. albeit a small puddle. I've contacted slowmkviii about pricing and shipping. The place didn't end up having it. Although you wouldn't know what I am talking about cause a mod didn't approve the message stating that I had found the part in a JY. but that is irrelevant now :)

That's good cause if I cannot get this part it was either craigslist the car and the system inside and bus it home or stay on vacation indefinitely...lol...hmm...

Anyways I'll need to replace this eventually so might as well get her done now. But that is some good news to hear. I went to the wall and got me some dot3 for now.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. You're not going to be hitting the brakes that much on a 1000 mile trip. Just keep a good eye on it and hunt the valve down when you get home. Don't get rid of a great car over such a small problem. Have a safe trip home.

Thanks. I've been doing a lot of work on this car to keep it going. Finding parts is difficult. I'll have to do a conversion for the front air shocks as they leak and drop over night but it isn't a problem as of yet.

Other than an Rear ABS wheel sensor(another hard part to find) and re-doing the brakes(much easier) this car just needs to get a little body work and painted.

I agree with My Great 8. Mine was leaking on my white cross-gen car, and I drove it all the time. Just added fluid ocasionaly. You'll be alright to get home. I've also got a right and left rear abs sensor for 98's on e-bay right now.

I agree with My Great 8. Mine was leaking on my white cross-gen car, and I drove it all the time. Just added fluid ocasionaly. You'll be alright to get home. I've also got a right and left rear abs sensor for 98's on e-bay right now.

Gives me a price range on them. atm though I can't get them or I'd take them both. Being on vacation I wont be able to get more parts for this car till sometime after the 12th of this month. Once money starts coming back in. Already extended my vacation a week due to this problem. But I've talked to slowmkviii and will be getting the Brake Proportioning Valve from him.

Thanks for responding so fast btw. The shop that tried to fix the leak is willing to put the part on for free since they couldn't fix it themselves.

Guess I cannot post without mod approval. Making it hard to respond. As none of my posts are getting approved...

Watch this one get approved right away

nope. not at all. lol

I was trying to spark conversation with the guy but maybe he already gave up. I live about 20 miles from Littleton.

That is my car yes. I haven't taken it off craigslist yet (just did that). Wasn't sure if I was going to get that part.

I did contact Slowmkviii about the part. But most likely I should get both. JIC

EDIT: Pulled it off craigslist due to being able to find that part. That was a fall back in case I couldn't as my vacation was supposed to end tomorrow but I extended it a week for this problem.

I'm not trying to take a sale away from slowmarkviii, but if something happens and you don't end up getting it from him, post on here and I can help you out. I just pulled one off of a 98 midnight gray car that I scrapped on Monday. The car is too nice to get rid of for that minor problem. Edit: I just read that Mike says he has one and is close.

Slowmkviii is my first choice as I have already been texting back and forth. So unless he backs out then I'll contact someone else. As of now I am buying it from him.

I don't mind waiting on the shipping as I am not leaving till the 12th anyways. Though I would like to get a multiple of this part as it is hard to find and JIC something does happen to the part in the future having the extra parts would make this whole process easier.

Though I would like to get a multiple of this part as it is hard to find and JIC something does happen to the part in the future having the extra parts would make this whole process easier.

That is why several of us have multiple parts cars pissing off our neighbors. Stick around LVC and you will find most of the parts that you need.

Hopefully you get her up and running again. We don’t like hearing a mark got sold because we don’t know if that next person will take care of it or not. There like foster children to us. :)

I have plans on getting this car fully operational. I mean I did just drive it across the country.

She has 152k on her and I bought it from a 1 owner who was an older lady. So hopefully she took care of the mark 8. I've put a bit of work and I always get something fixed as soon as a problem starts. Only thing I really cannot fix is the air bag suspension. Unfortunately I am going to have to remove the fronts and replace them in a conversion as the have a slow leak that drops overnight. As of right now though they work fine.

She has a little cancer that I plan on fixing this spring-summer and then getting her painted as she has a decent amount of paint damage due to sitting in an auto shop lot for nearly 2 years in direct sunlight. But I only paid 1250. So I really cannot complain.

The inside of the car looks great. Other than the steering wheel.

I'll link the images but try to not post the direct image here as the pics are large.
http://imageshack.us/a/img12/8783/imag0048atp.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img29/4144/imag0047sv.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img832/8966/imag0046xg.jpg

I'd like to thank Slowmkviii for shipping out that Brake Proportioning Valve out so fast. It is just going to make me feel better knowing I shouldn't have further brake problems unless something else fails lol.

Members online

No members online now.
Back