97 LSC Wipers going crazy!

Lou_Ice

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 97 LSC, and I love it. But just recently I noticed that the whole wiper system is going crazy. The wipers turn on when I turn the knob to low, int, and high but the motor is loud as hell! Is that normal? In addition, the wipers will not turn off once turned on. I slide the knob back to off, but they still continue to run for several minutes before they decide to turn off...anyone out there got any answers? Pls reply.

You absolutely, positively, need a new wiper motor. Same exact issue here. Luckily mine was under warranty.

Thanks man, I am going to look into a new wiper motor. I will search on E-bay and maybe check out my local lincoln-mercury dealer...Thanks a bunch...I will let you know if that fixes it.

Get one from eBay. There's a guy on eBay that I got mine from (user: mopar68gtx), and also a few other odds and ends I needed. Great guy to deal with.

Don't bother going to the dealer for one unless you absolutely MUST have a new one. When I went to the dealer and asked about one (I only need the small block-looking piece on the top that connects the wiper linkage), they told me it was around $200 for one. F that. lol

Good luck!

Yep, I have a really similar problem. replaced my multifunction switch but that didn't fix it.... now I think the only thing left to do is replace the wiper motor.

Yeah, and another thing. My wiper motor is very loud, but it also does not change speed when i turn the interval knob. Are you sure it is not my switch and it is the motor?

Lou_Ice said:
Yeah, and another thing. My wiper motor is very loud, but it also does not change speed when i turn the interval knob. Are you sure it is not my switch and it is the motor?

yep... my wiper motor just doesn't make any kind of wierd sound. when I hit the washer fluid switch, it keeps going and there's no stopping it until I turn the car off. When I have my windshield wipers going and put the switch in the off position, they just stop and won't tuck themselves away. And like you said, I pretty much only have one speed also regardless of which speed I have the switch on. I tried replacing the switch, it didn't do squat. So next on my list is the wiper motor which I will be doing next weekend (with the help of a friend).

Not to say that it DEF. could not be your switch, but I'm about 90% sure it's your motor. I've heard a lot of people talk about this problem and pretty much all of them said that replacing the wiper motor solved it. I just tried the switch first in hopes to save a little money because it was only like $50 from five star ford. Wiper motor is around $114 +core from five star as well. I ordered mine the other day, but it hasn't come in yet.

And trust me, I know EXACTLY what you are describing.

Last edited:
I paid like $50 at NAPA for a reman motor a couple years ago. PITA to R&R, but it still works.

Awesome man, yeah what happend to you is exactly what is happening to me. Thanks so much for your help.

Members online

No members online now.
Back