97 Lincoln Continental...

Phirst

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Well this is my first post here and I just wanted to say. I also had some questions for you guys. My father has a 97 Lincoln Continental and as of late has had some problems with it. I have been working on cars since I was 15 and am now 22 and consider myself to be rather knowledgable on vehicles of all makes. About 2 weeks ago my dad was driving home and the car just died on him. It was at night and his headlights started to dim as well as the instrument panel and other things that were running. He was able to call my brother and have him pick him up. When they had a chance to return to the car the next day it started right up and they drove it again until it died again. Basically until the battery was unable to support it. I diagnosed it as a bad alternator and picked him up one from my work. We had the car taken back to his house and replaced the alternator with no problems. During this time the car sat for about 3 days, I was not able to start working on it right away because of work and school. Once the new alternator was replaced he tried turning it over and it wouldn't turn over. It would just crank but not start. this was odd since it had started before the Alternator was removed but now it wouldn't. The engine was running healthy and is getting both fuel and spark. My dad had some mobile mechanic take a look at it and he administered a compression test, which came across 0 on all 4 front cylinders. To this he then told my dad that the engine was blown and it would be $5000 to replace. I told my dad it sounded like BS since the car was running fine prior to the removal of the alternator, it was able to start and run for a limited amount of time off of just the battery. So I guess my question is where should I start. I do not have a compression tester in my personal repetoire of tools but I can borrow one from a buddy to do my own test. Is there any sort of relay that could be blown anything else that I should try? Thanks for any help in advance.

Brian

No Start?

Check the fuel pump switch in the trunk. I've heard of situations where the switch will pop and shut down the fuel pump when the battery is disconnected. The switch is normally supposed to shut off the fuel pump in the event of an accident, but if the switch is weak, the drop in voltage will cause the switch to pop. I had this happen on a '95 Continental I used to own. The service tech said that it was not a common problem, but it can happen.

Also, try disconnecting the battery then reconnecting it. The computers may need to be reset unless the battery was totally dead.

Good Luck!

Ross

Members online

No members online now.
Back