96 Continental will not start

hotrodlincoln6

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 96 continental that will not turn over using the ignition key. I can jump the starter and it will start and run just fine. I tried resetting the anti theft system,but this did not help. Any Ideas????/

what do you mean by jump the starter? If I had to guess I would say you are just getting a clicking sound when you try to turn the ignition over? Unless the ignition is bad I would bet that your problem would be the starter solenoid/relay. I'm not sure about the continental but I would bet its mounted on the fender wall less than a foot from the battery

The starter solenoid is on the starter on the front left side of the engine. When I turn the key the car makes no noise at all. the black plastic piece around the ignition switch turns freely with or without the key in the switch. Is this normal?

hotrodlincoln6 said:
the black plastic piece around the ignition switch turns freely with or without the key in the switch. Is this normal?

nope, that's not normal, I'm actually surprised you can get the key in, normally the black ring needs to be alligned properly to get the key in. I know a lot of my older fords had that problem.

Do I need to replace the ignition switch or just the piece that is turning? Also the anti theft light flashes even after I disarm the alarm system.

well that might be your problem then, the anti theft is cutting off the system not allowing it to turn over, I don't know enough about that year conti though

Members online

No members online now.
Back