'95 Town Car... original owner... for sale

Fleet

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I am considering buying the '95 Town Car (Signature Series) in the attachment. Gray with a dark gray interior.
It is at a car detailing shop- the owner of the shop is selling it for his brother. As the ad says, the car has 109,000 miles and is well-kept. I couldn't find any dents on the body and the seats have no tears. Everything seems to work; A/C/heater, power windows/seats, radio, etc.
The asking price in the ad is $4,495, but a for sale photo of the car in the shop says $4,299.
The owner has the maintenance records. Work done in 2005: Some front suspension parts (pitman arm, idler arm), water pump, rear suspension checked (light went on). New brakes in 2004.
I did a vehicle check and it comes out okay. No salvage record or anything like that. I did drive the car and it feels fine. Quiet, smooth ride, no hesitation. Starts right up. The battery is getting old (dated 5-01 if I read the code right).

So I'm still deciding. Maybe I'll make an offer of $4,000.

95tc4sale.jpg

Well, I decided I want the car and made an offer to the seller ($3,800). He accepted so it looks like I will be buying this '95 Town Car Signature!

I will take some photos and post them here soon.

For $4K car should be in near mint condition... Normal things to look for are the rear air suspension, valve stem seals and maybe plastic intake manifold... Manifold may just be for the 97's can't remember right now. Look into it, and if it has NOT been replaced, DEMAND that it is, or you will be on the side of the freeway with coolant everywhere...

If the check air suspension went on and they didn't do anything, you have a problem that will only get worse. When the CAS light goes on, it's because(%95 of the time) there are small cracks in the air bag where the rubber meets the plastic boot that attaches to the rear axle. When the compressor kicks in, it inflates the bags stretching out the rubber near the boot and exposes the cracks. Which in turn lets air out, and the compressor kicks back in. Once the compressor runs for 90 seconds without stopping, the computer automatically kicks in and shuts off the compressor and flashes the CAS light.

You will need to replace the bags within the next 6-12 months. If they are original bags, than they are about due for a replacement. Dealerships will charge you about $1K, you can buy them online(bought mine from Arnots) and do it yourself...

Other major issue is the Valve Stem seals. Ford installed crappy seals and over time, they crack and let oil seep by. You will know when you see a puff of blue smoke upon acceleration. Dealerships will charge about $800, and you can do it yourself, but it's a little involved...

I would pay a max of $3K for the TC....

Thanks for the tips.
I did look for blue smoke and didn't see any. No excessive soot in the tailpipe (another thing to check out). Luckily (for me, anyway) the plastic manifolds began in 1996.

I will look over the records and see why the CAS light came on.

The car is in very good condition- body very straight, interior practically flawless and even the paint is holding up well. A '95 TC in "good" condition (3 stars out of 4) is worth about $3,950 according to Kelly Blue Book.
I like the fact that is a one-owner car and hasn't had 5 or 6 owners and that the service records were kept- a big advantage knowing the car's history.

Well, I bought the '95 TC I was looking at! Photos below.
I made an offer of $3,800 and the seller accepted. I took it to a near by shop to buy a battery. The mechanic said the rear air bags are okay- they stayed fully inflated. The CAS light was coming on a few times last week but hasn't in the last 4 or 5 days. He thinks it may be the sensor or the computer itself.

I'm really enjoying the car. Runs and drives great, nice leather interior and the fit and finish is very impressive. Two of my Cadillac friends saw it last weekend and also liked it. One of them couldn't believe all of the gadgets and power-operated items the TC has (his newest car is a '75 Eldorado Convertible).

According to the computer readout, I've been getting 17.8 mpg driving on surface streets and 24.3 mpg on the highway. About what I expected.

tcar1.jpg

Fleet said:
Well, I bought the '95 TC I was looking at! Photos below.
I made an offer of $3,800 and the seller accepted. I took it to a near by shop to buy a battery. The mechanic said the rear air bags are okay- they stayed fully inflated. The CAS light was coming on a few times last week but hasn't in the last 4 or 5 days. He thinks it may be the sensor or the computer itself.

I'm really enjoying the car. Runs and drives great, nice leather interior and the fit and finish is very impressive. Two of my Cadillac friends saw it last weekend and also liked it. One of them couldn't believe all of the gadgets and power-operated items the TC has (his newest car is a '75 Eldorado Convertible).

According to the computer readout, I've been getting 17.8 mpg driving on surface streets and 24.3 mpg on the highway. About what I expected.

Nice, i like that color.

Members online

No members online now.
Back