95 Lincoln TC Radio Wiring Harness

nhauj@comcast.net

LVC Member
Reaction score
I cant find the right stereo wiring harness for my towncar. I've searched alot of places and the wrong parts is all they have. Can someone help me out, I'm starting to think i cant change my stock stereo. :frown:

nhauj@comcast.net said:
I cant find the right stereo wiring harness for my towncar. I've searched alot of places and the wrong parts is all they have. Can someone help me out, I'm starting to think i cant change my stock stereo. :frown:

Of course you can change it. What harness do they keep giving you? The harness you need will have to reach the antenna and harness from the stereo controller to the passenger side of the spare tire in the trunk to the display in the dash. The easiest way to do it is to get the 97-99 or 00-03 ford taurus dash kit that has 18 feet of speaker wire and antenna adapter all built in. You will still need the grey plug that goes behind the display in the dash to pikc up power and ground. Speaker wires and antenna all go to the trunk.

Feel free to ask questions, keep us posted.

Big Joe

You have two choices. The taurus kit, and trash the plastic for the taurus dash. The kit will run you about 60 bucks. Or you can get a jbl premium sound bypass harness, cut it in half, use the side that has all eight pins in a row and run all eight wires to the front of the vehicle. You will need a ford antenna adapter, and 18 feet of antenna. To install, unplug the black plug from the radio controller, unplug the antenna, plug in your harness and antenna adapter, run the wires under the rear seat, along the door sills. (these are terrible to remove on a 95. They take some effort), behind the kick and along the back of the dash. Connect to your aftermarket radio and your all set.

Keep us posted.

Big Joe

oh yeah you will have to keep the harness they gave you anyway to get power.

Oh hey!! I didnt know you posted. I usually look for the towncar forum folder to be lit up, i must have missed it the other day, sorry about that. I assure you i was not ignoring you. If I forget to check feel free to email me, send PM whatever.

If you buy the bypass harness it will plug into the black plug at the stereo controller in the trunk, along with the antenna. It will extend the wiring 18 feet long so that you can run it up to the front of the vehicle. All it is, is a plug in extension. Since the display in the dash has no amplifier or sound processor in it, all of that is done in the trunk. All you are doing is picking up all four speakers and antenna and running them to your new radio because it is self contained.

That harness in perticular is from a taurus. Same radio but different display. In a taurus you have to do the same because the radio in the dash is just a couple lights and buttons, the actual radio parts are in the trunk, since the new radio contains all of those, you need to run speaker wires from the dash to the easiest place to pick up antenna and speakers, which other than at their respective locations is in the trunk at the plug.

The plug is the same output plug that has been on all premium sound ford and lincolns since 86 or so. They reuse that same plug in many applications such as keyless entry, the computer in my digital dash and so on, Makes it easy so you dont have to reengineer a plug. So they use the plug from the old premium sound amplifiers. that means you can use a regular ford jbl premium sound bypass harness to plug in to it. If you unplug the black plug from that controler in your trunk, that is your speakers. Pretty much what you are doing, is anything that can plug into that for ease of installation, and extend it 18 feet to where you need it, aka the dash.

As for the antenna it is just easier for ford to run from the antenna to the controller, than from antenna to dash. Since you also need that in the new head unit, run that up to the front. Since the 18 foot antenna adapter is standard size you need an adapter in the trunk.

Keep us posted. Sorry about the silence.

Big Joe

By the way those harnesses are just expamples, you may be able to find cheaper locally. Also, if you dont care about cutting wires you can always skip the harnesses and just run the wires up front without harnesses, me personally i just prefer harnesses.

Only 7feet??? Where did you find that. If not its reallly no big deal. If need be, get the jbl premium sound bypass harness (for any mid nineties ford). Make sure it plugs into the black plug in the trunk. Cut it in half, take the side that plugs in and extend all eight wires 18 feet or so. Just buy yourself a nice big roll of 18ga speaker wire. Get yourself a ford adapter and a antenna extension that is at least 16-18 feet. I have personally used a 144" extension from best buy but it came up short and i had to use another 48" one.

What dont you get about the bypass harness? I love this stuff and i can talk all day long bro.

Keep us posted. I want to see this stereo working!! :biggrin:

LOLOL, well im glad your honest. Here are a list of places that carry electronics. If need be, i can build the harness and send it back to you through the mail. We will get this.

Walmart - has some harness probably just the premium sound bypass harness
best buy
circuit city
mickey shorr
auto zone has some probably same selection as walmart
same for checker
car tunes
any local stereo shops that you know, they are usually commission as well.
internet dealers

Worse case scenario, but the premium sound bypass harness that plugs in and i will get the rest of it and send it to you.

Big Joe

A bypass harness that will plug into the black plug at the controller

An antenna adapter that will plug into the antenna connection in the trunk at the same controller.

An antenna extension about 16-18 feet
75-80 feet of double stranded speaker wire.

Members online

No members online now.
Back