93 TC Manifold Rotted Nipple Coolant Leak

McGee

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Howdy everyone, this is my first post to this forum. I have a 93 Town Car Signature Edition with 285,000 miles. It is leaking coolant from the nipple on the manifold that goes to the heater core. I borrowed this pic from another post and circled the problem area.
imagejpeg_0.jpg
This is the passenger side rear of the manifold. When I pulled the hose I found that the steel(?) nipple attached to the aluminum manifold has rotted away to nothing and I can't get the hose to seal on it, I've tried new hose as well as the old one. Can this part be replaced without removing the manifold? If so what is the part called? I would appreciate any help as I am stuck 45 miles from home and the only other idea I have is a Hail Mary with JB Weld and copper pipe.
Thanks in advance, McGee

imagejpeg_0.jpg

I would assume you will have to replace the whole intake to do it right.
You also might be able to braze the hole.

I had this happen on another type of vehicle and I was able to drill out old nipple and then tap manifold to a pipe thread, then use a brass screw in nipple. You could try and do that with manifold on the car but make sure you get all shavings out and do a nice flush when done. Not sure if the Ford manifold has enough meat to do this, the vehicle I was working on was an international and had tons of material around this port.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back