86 lsc no spark

stark

New LVC Member
Reaction score
its been a little bit since i have probed around on the car but last time i did i had constant power to positive side (red w/green tracer) of the coil but no ground signal to the negative side (green w/yellow tracer) . all the fuse links on the starter solenoid are good. any ideas on what else to check?

Just to get this thread going...

You are positive there is no spark? I gather the starter motor is turning the engine, but it doesn't start.

Tried double-checking for spark by, perhaps, removing a plug and grounding it's base and cranking the engine?
Attach the plug to it's wire, and using insulated pliers, press the threaded base of the plug against the engine block (ground it). Have someone crank the engine, and look for a spark.

Another option is to use one of those spark checkers..
31ZD5T1ARRL._AA160_.jpg

Another thing is fuel delivery. Spark, compression and fuel are required..

From your post, I have no idea how skilled you may or may not be. If you've already checked such obvious things, and have narrowed it down to a coil problem, disregard all of the above..

Has fuel and the rail, has ground from engine to battery, battery to chassis, and chassis to engine. coil has key on power, no ground signal is sent to the coIl to fire it. the computer also has a ground. know good coil and tfi module.

Best answers to Mark VII's are to PM Oldschool1 or go to his website. The number of Mark VII owners on this site has declined over the years as the number of LS members has increased. OldSchool1 is a great member and has a site dedicated to the Mark VII ... so I would suggest going to his site.

If you have no spark, but you have power to the coil it can either be a bad coil, bad module, or a distributor.

So I had figured out what the problem was, just forgt to update the thread. Eec relay was junk. A simple jumper wire confirmed that. Also replaced the harness because the old one was chewed.

So I had figured out what the problem was, just forgt to update the thread. Eec relay was junk. A simple jumper wire confirmed that. Also replaced the harness because the old one was chewed.

Chewed?? Man, you guys must be really hardup for a good place to eat over there. Anyhow, glad you found your problem with the EEC relay. Now you can drive to the closest town and get a decent meal.

Members online

No members online now.
Back