84 sedan DeVille not idling

caddyproctor

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought this 84 caddy sedan DeVille and I need to,know,how to get it running
It was sitting for,about 2 years. Its got 99,000 original miles

I threw a battery in it, tried to crank,it,and, it cranks,fine, no,fire, then I threw some,gas down,the carb and she fired and ran for a couple seconds then died. How can I keep it running? I put some gas in the carburetor start it and it runs for like 8 seconds then,sputters,and dies. Do I just keep doing,this till,it runs? It has a quarter tank of gas in it,still. Yea I checked all the fluids and there good. I replaced coolant

What can I do? Thanks Mike

WP_20140710_006.jpg

Well at least you know the motor isn't stuck.

If it only runs when you pour gas down the carburetor then you a fuel problem. You're fuel pump could be bad or your pickup is plugged in the tank.

Is it a mechanical fuel pump? Not really familiar with '84 Cadillac's

I have no idea. Should I just throw a bunch of fresh gas in tank and keep putting gas down carb till it stays running?

Any idea how much that costs? Also,I don't know if it matters but the car is parked on a hill. Maybe gas is all at back of tank away from pump? I just drained tank and put 20$ of fresh gas in.

Check the fuel pump and fuel filter.

You might also want to clean out the system with some seafoam

Okay now I'm,really lost, so I kept constantly sending a lil bit a gas into the carb through a bottle and,it ran totally fine on bottle. As soon as I stop dripping gas in it instantly dies. Now here's the interesting part, people have been saying its the fuel pump, but I went underneath and,turned key and can hear it priming,, also I thought maybe fuel filter so I undid the hose on end of fuel filter going towards engine and turned key and,the pump was sending fuel through the filter and out the other end so it seems to be working. What else have I not checked? Could a fuel line be plugged?

Well at least you know the motor isn't stuck.

If it only runs when you pour gas down the carburetor then you a fuel problem. You're fuel pump could be bad or your pickup is plugged in the tank.

Is it a mechanical fuel pump? Not really familiar with '84 Cadillac's

Electric fuel.pump for Caddies post 1977.

To the OP sounds like it runs but is getting no fuel to the carb. Disconnect the fuel.filter and replace, why not?

Also when u turn the key to run listen for the fuel pump relay to click closed and the whir of the pump in the tank.
U need one to get the other.
You DO KNOW that since it ran when you poured fuel in the carb you do have spark and the computer is operating.

So....I suspect.fuel pump, reLay or filter

More in a bit...

Okay now I'm,really lost, so I kept constantly sending a lil bit a gas into the carb through a bottle and,it ran totally fine on bottle. As soon as I stop dripping gas in it instantly dies. Now here's the interesting part, people have been saying its the fuel pump, but I went underneath and,turned key and can hear it priming,, also I thought maybe fuel filter so I undid the hose on end of fuel filter going towards engine and turned key and,the pump was sending fuel through the filter and out the other end so it seems to be working. What else have I not checked? Could a fuel line be plugged?

Now....some of these late 70-early 80s Cads had TWO fuel pumps, one in the tank and.one in the frame rail from the filter to the engine. That one may be bad. It would be a low pressure(~7psi) fuel pump.

Also if this is a carb and not a throttle body on this ? Engine the fuel pressure reducer may be bad, missing, clogged.

1984 engines were 4.1HT, Cad 368, Olds 307, Olds 350, Chevy 305, 350, 454. You probably have the 4.1 or the Olds 307(that was the most reliable and pollution compliant).

dont worry about it now. If you can hear the pump then the relay works. the relay is powered first then the pump

well, what you gotta do now is disconnect the fuel line at the carb and then using a soda bottle over the d/c'd fuel line, crank the motor(or just turn the key to Run) and let the pressurised fuel pump do its part. If you see fuel flow past the filter then the question is it

a. the remainder of the fuel line or
b. the carburetor.

If you see fuel exit the line at the connection to the carb then the carb is your problem.

The 4100 wasnt a popular motor so I dont know what is available there. I dont even think it is a carb but a throttle body with 2 fuel injectors in the bores.

yep, it is TBI fuel injection. your injectors may not be jetting at all(clogged, restricted) or the wiring harnesses to them may have rotted(age, mice)

here is a video for you to get an idea what you have to do when. get a couple of cans of Carb cleaner and some Qtips for the bores and butterfly

[video=youtube;QzebUC49DIk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzebUC49DIk[/video]

Great thank you so much for your help! I'm gonna try this all tomorrow. You have been extremely helpful and detailed! If you ever come to Toronto beers on me!

Ok I took off lines from carburetor and,cranked her over and no,gas came out of the one line and the other one,appears to,be twisted from a previous attempt and ripped. There is no gas getting to the carb and one of the fuel lines is like torn at the tip where you turn the two nuts to take it off. Is this sounding like the fuel pump,or filter,again?

Ok I took off lines from carburetor and,cranked her over and no,gas came out of the one line and the other one,appears to,be twisted from a previous attempt and ripped. There is no gas getting to the carb and one of the fuel lines is like torn at the tip where you turn the two nuts to take it off. Is this sounding like the fuel pump,or filter,again?

Self explanatory.
The empty line is the return line. The twisted line is the feed line. You need a replacement fuel line at the throttle body.
Watch the video on disassembly, do it just like that. He probably ruined it trying to do a throttle cleaning service.

wow! that turned over at least once. See that cap there? In line with that tube? Remove it. Press down on the valve. If it sprays fuel on your fingers then you know fuel is getting to THAT point. That is the pressure relief valve for the fuel system. You should have pressure because the pump is working. When you depress the valve the fuel should spray over your fingers, watch your face you dont wanna get gas in your face.

And now you know which line to replace, the fuel feed line with the Schrader valve on it. Now the hard part is WHERE to get it?

Ok I cranked over motor and push on that pressure release valve and nothing is coming outta valve no spraying gas pr anything

Members online

No members online now.
Back