8.8 Trac Lok same for IRS?

LaserSVT

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know it has been covered but seems some say yes and some say no.
This Trac Lok is out of a Mustang SN95 and has a fresh rebuild on it with the standard clutches and the tighter spring. It seems like a killer deal at $75 shipped so as long as it will fit then I am ordering it tomorrow. :D
Gotta line on some excellent condition FRPP 3.73s too that have no wear on them, they do look brand new and come with crush sleeves and all for $60 shipped. Looks like I will be doing gears allot sooner then I had thought. :D

what year? I dont know when they went to IRS, I thoguth the mid 90's were not, but i could be wrong. My pumpkin came from an 04 cobra.

It will work... but don't mess with the 3.73, waste of time.. my 2 cents

Just checked Fords part number and it is the same FRPP Trac Lok for for everything with an 8.8 in it. Had Mustangs, Crown Vics, Mark VIII all listed for the same part.

I assume the slap in the head was for asking. :lol:
$75 is a good seal on a frshened one with a stiffer setting,no?

Also I am doing 3.73s, its what I want. The 21 tooth speedo gear is the right one isnt it?
Figures, I have 2-20's, a 19, an 18 and a 17 tooth gear but no 21s. :(

I had found a couple threads after sifting through countless threads where "Trac Lok" or "traction lok" or "posi" appeared and it was a consensus of yesses and noes. Would end with someone saying it would work but with no proof.

After going to Summit and pulling up the FRPP one and seeing it fit all the cars then I knew I was OK.
Only thing you have to look for is I guess some of them have the ABS ring attached to them and you dont want that one.

Here is the gear set and diff:
BWpT2tgBGkKGrHgoOKjwEjlLmSt7BKYds6M.gif

diff-1.gif

diff-2-1.gif

take some pics of it IN YOUR REAR!! wooow... looks good and notta bad price all together either

The only difference is the side gears. IRS have chamfered edges on the inside hole for the locking rings. The solid axle isn't chamfered. You can use the solid axle gears but leave the locking rings off of the axle ends (I think driller is doing this, read it in another post, IIRC). Good find on that though! :)

The gears are off a newer Explorer. Those are IRS arnt they? IDK what a side gear is. Is that the ring gear you are talking about?

Also I was just gonna hand it to my shop with some friction modifier, new bearings and fluid and tell him to have fun. He has done plenty or rear ends but is there anything special I need to tell him?

up to 2000 explorer were solid axle aside from 01 sports, sooo 2001 and up exploders had independent rear suspension

Yes, there are 31 and 28. The diff I got is from a GT so its a 28. I think 03/04 Cobras are 31 but all GTs are 28 as are Cobras up to 01. F-150 is 31 spline but not sure about Explorers. But since the gear itself dont matter I got one from an Explorer. Its the same as the FRPP versions, same part number anyway.

solid axle explorers are 31 spline, ranger was 28 but Fx4 31.... irs explorers im almost 100% sure 31 as well

The gears are off a newer Explorer. Those are IRS arnt they? IDK what a side gear is. Is that the ring gear you are talking about?

Also I was just gonna hand it to my shop with some friction modifier, new bearings and fluid and tell him to have fun. He has done plenty or rear ends but is there anything special I need to tell him?

Here ya go...it's the gear that the axle goes into..IIRC, the side gears won't work from an IRS to solid axle differential. Either have the inside hole of the side gears machined to accept the lock rings or leave the rings off the axles.

diff-1.gif

Uh, dont I need the lock rings? How do the axles stay retained? I have no idea where a shop is out here that would be able to machine them to make it work.
Crap! I thought it was gonna be a drop in. Dont wana have something machined or make the car unsafe. :(

Uh, dont I need the lock rings? How do the axles stay retained? I have no idea where a shop is out here that would be able to machine them to make it work.
Crap! I thought it was gonna be a drop in. Dont wana have something machined or make the car unsafe. :(

as well as the fact that solid axle explorers are 31 spline, ranger was 28 but Fx4 31.... irs explorers im almost 100% sure 31 as well

as well as the fact that solid axle explorers are 31 spline, ranger was 28 but Fx4 31.... irs explorers im almost 100% sure 31 as well

The Trac Lok is NOT from an Explorer, only the ring and pinion. The Trac Lok is from a Mustang and is a 28 spline.

I am buying them from two different people. Whats shifty? Explorer gears, Mustang Trac Lok.

Anywho after reading the many many many many IRS trac lok threads I see that the c clips can be used but are kinda hard to remove latter. So I will use them cause I dont want any issues if I do happen to catch some air. :D

It also seems it will be cheaper if I just pull the pumpkin and bring it in instead of dropping the car off. I will ask my shop tomorrow to see. If its $100 less then I will just yank it. I can have it out in well under an hour I think.

Anyway, is the 21 tooth gear the right one for the VSS with my 3.73s?

Do the "One wheel method" too. Save a ton of labor and time.

I dont know what that is, can you please explain? Sayin just take off one side hub off and then unbolt both half shafts and remove the c clips, remove one axle and for the other side just slide the pumpkin over after its all unbolted so you dont have to remove both side hubs?

If I take the pumpkin in I will need new axle shaft seals wont I? Also should I bother with the cover gasket or just use the grey silicon like I was planning on?

Members online

Back