7 quarts of oil?

mofoadams

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Im a newly registered user and recently purchased a 2002 Lincoln LSE. I took it for an oil change today and the service tech dumped the required 6 quarts of oil into it and the stick still read a quart low. He then proceeded to add another quart which made it read full. Can anyone tell me if this is normal. I know it has an oil cooler, so would that explain the extra quart needed? Thanks.

That does not seem normal to me. I always use 6 quarts. You might be overfilled now. Let it sit for awhile and then recheck it.

thanks

I thought it was weird as well. I will check it again. thanks for the reply. by the way, I love this car.

It should take about 6. I have found the oil level somewhat hard to read right after an oil change, since the oil is so clean. It usually takes me 3-4 attempts to accurately determine the reading.

I have the V8 2002 LSE as well. Per Consumer Reports, the 2002 model year is the best year (reliability wise) to get. FWIW.

From Owner's Manual

Engine oil
(includes filter change)

Motorcraft SAE
5W-20 Super Premium Motor Oil

3.0L-4V V6 engine
6.5L(6.9 quarts)

Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Super Premium Motor Oil

3.9L-4V V8 engine
5.7L
(6.0 quarts)

SGB is right. For the 00-02 models, the V6 takes 6.9 quarts and the V8 takes 6.0 quarts.

I have the V8 2002 LSE as well. Per Consumer Reports, the 2002 model year is the best year (reliability wise) to get. FWIW.

He never said he had a V8, he just said it was a 2002 LSE. In 2002, the LSE came in V6 and V8 versions. However, after looking at his photogallery, he's got a message center. Only cars with V8 engines got message centers.

Sounds like you may be overfilled.

I could have sworn that the 00-02 V8's took 7 quarts.. that's at least what my owners manual says

NickLS said:
I could have sworn that the 00-02 V8's took 7 quarts.. that's at least what my owners manual says

No, it doesn't. Page 246 explicitly states: 3.0L V6 engines take 6.9 quarts; 3.9L V8 engines take 6.0 quarts. Does Texas Tech offer refunds? :D

Ouch!!! Looks like Todd is a Funny Funny Man.

You win this round my evil nemisis.... But I'll be back...

V8

thanks for the insight guys. It is a V8 and it took 7 quarts to read full. i checked it several times after the fact. Im thinking the tech had a box of six quarts that had one empty quart within it, so he thought he had put six in but had actually put 5 in. Then added what he thought was an extra quart but was really the 6th quart. anyhow, it runs like a champ. Mobil 1 5W 20.

i took my ls in a couple weeks ago and it took 7 for me too...atleast thats what i was charged. I checked it a couple times that day and even a few days after and it wasn;t overfilled

The last 3 times I've changed my oil I've added between 6.5 to 6.75 quarts. (2000 V8 Sport with oil cooler)

I just changed mine. It took 6 quarts and it's sitting right on full. I wonder what the Jags take? Maybe there was a different oil pan?

Members online

Back