6850 RPM Rev Limiter ???

NetKeym

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 1995 LSC that I just went through the front end on. Yesterday, I picked up a W3Z2 EEC with a 9/92 date on it because I read about the higher rev limiter, lack of speed limiter, more aggressive tune with more timing, better shift schedule, etc, etc. I HAVE NOT INSTALLED THE W3Z2 COMPUTER YET!

Today I took it out for a spin to see how high the current EEC (I assume is a DZA1 - I haven't looked at it). Well, it buried the tach at 7000 in 2nd gear and I backed off thinking it wasn't going to hit a rev limiter! Then I held it in 1st and it hit a limiter at 6850 RPM.

I thought it was supposed to quit at 6450? I told the guys at the shop (they know the original owner), and they say he may have had it chipped; I should just look under the dash and see for myself!

I haven't tested the speed limiter yet - it really needs a front end alignment after all the parts I've replaced in the front end before I get out and try that.

Anyone have any comments? I'm not going to bother to change it if I get the same performance with my current ECM.

I have a 1995 LSC that I just went through the front end on. Yesterday, I picked up a W3Z2 EEC with a 9/92 date on it because I read about the higher rev limiter, lack of speed limiter, more aggressive tune with more timing, better shift schedule, etc, etc.

Today I took it out for a spin to see how high the current EEC (I assume is a DZA1 - I've never looked at it). Well, it buried the tach at 7000 in 2nd gear and I backed off thinking it wasn't going to hit a rev limiter! Then I held it in 1st and it hit a limiter at 6850 RPM.

I thought it was supposed to quit at 6450? I told the guys at the shop (they know the original owner), and they say he may have had it chipped; I should just look under the dash and see for myself!

I haven't tested the speed limiter yet - it really needs a front end alignment after all the parts I've replaced in the front end before I get out and try that.

Anyone have any comments?

LOL man, that would be amusing to me if I saw someone in a mark tearing it up on the streets around here..just the other day I was on the hunt for a nice street to pull a holeshot on, I had yet to really get on it from a dead stop..wanted to see what she'd do..I came up to the next block much faster than I would have thought..didn't even get it out of 1st gear lol.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The 6850 and 7000 I'm hitting with my original EEC (I think it's supposed to be DZA1 - I haven't looked).

I haven't installed the W3Z2 EEC, yet!

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The 6850 and 7000 I'm hitting with my original EEC (I think it's supposed to be DZA1 - I haven't looked).

lol. pull it down and check. pretty easy to do.

The 95's pretty much all had DZA1 in them. I don't know of one or have never heard of anyone saying they had anything different than a DZA1 in their 95, unless they changed them out their self. I have the DZA1 setting inside my toolbox drawer and if I had a 2nd choice, other than the W3Z2, it would be the Z4HO from a 94

Just disconnect the battery and remove the DZA1 and put the W3Z2 in and reconnect the battery. Crank it up and let it idle for a few minutes. Take it for a drive and drive it normally so that everything can adjust to the new timing and shifting commands. I drove mine without doing any WOT's for a day or so. An old user here suggested to do it this way and I trust his advice. Whether or not it makes any difference or not, idk...

You will notice a difference though.

The 95's pretty much all had DZA1 in them. I don't know of one or have never heard of anyone saying they had anything different than a DZA1 in their 95, unless they changed them out their self. I have the DZA1 setting inside my toolbox drawer and if I had a 2nd choice, other than the W3Z2, it would be the Z4HO from a 94

Just disconnect the battery and remove the DZA1 and put the W3Z2 in and reconnect the battery. Crank it up and let it idle for a few minutes. Take it for a drive and drive it normally so that everything can adjust to the new timing and shifting commands. I drove mine without doing any WOT's for a day or so. An old user here suggested to do it this way and I trust his advice. Whether or not it makes any difference or not, idk...

You will notice a difference though.

Let me ask you this. According to JerryW, there are two different TCC solenoids, a low ohm used up to 96 and a high ohm used 96- (except for some 95 Lincolns). But according to Rockauto, the 95 Mark VIII LSC uses the newer high ohm while the older 93 Mark uses the low ohm. Rockauto also lists two different MLPS sensors for the 93 and 95 Marks?!?

You didn't have this problem?

Let me ask you this. According to JerryW, there are two different TCC solenoids, a low ohm used up to 96 and a high ohm used 96- (except for some 95 Lincolns). But according to Rockauto, the 95 Mark VIII LSC uses the newer high ohm while the older 93 Mark uses the low ohm. Rockauto also lists two different MLPS sensors for the 93 and 95 Marks?!?

You didn't have this problem?

Nope, I just put it in and all has been fine since. I lost about 1mpg but it was worth it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back