5x7 speakers stop working when car is wet

Scallywag

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello there my good chaps!!! Got a little audio issue with the WF.

The sound system(OEM) has recently developed within this past month a defect where the front & rear 5x7 speakers cut off when the car gets wet from rain or running it through the car wash, etc and leave the tweeters to do all the audio work. The 5x7s eventually begin to function again after what I assume is a drying up of some component that shorted out but am not certain which component it could be.

I gather that it's an issue with the speakers, amp, ant/wires getting wet and need to know where in the car it is to pay attention to that water might be notorious to seep into(like over the passenger side wiper cowl leak) and affect the performance of the JBL.

As always, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :)

this is new to me, but i think the answer would be trunk, under the rear tray.
the JBL amplifier will be housed up there behind a cover.
trunk, or maybe rear window? might be leaking there.
worth a check.

Also check the air intake for the interior. The seal is known to crack and let water into the dash area.
It's under the wiper cowel on the passenger side

Damn! I forgot about this thread....

So, the 5x7s came back and the sound was ok for a bit until recently that it rained and now the audio is only coming out of the tweeters, again, so it's obviously an issue with the factory amp.

I'd prefer an OEM replacement, but for the prices I've seen($110+) for these used amps, I may as well just start swapping in a brand new sound system. I just need to know what made this amp defective because if water is the culprit, then the replacement unit might go bad if water leaking onto a speaker is what shorted the amp.

However, I can't agree that it's water leaking from the wiper cowel on the passenger side because I would've seen puddles or wet carpet just as I'd seen in the BA and K4, but perhaps it's leaking in the back somewhere.

Members online

No members online now.
Back