5R55S Shift Solenoids...Maintenance?

ACDiecast

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello again folks, thanks to everyone on all the info I've gotten here so far. I hope I'm not beating the solenoid issue to death, but...

I've got an '03 V8 Sport with almost 69K miles. I've replaced all the plugs and coils and don't have any more driveability issues (knock on wood). I'm preparing her for a 3000 mile road trip this May and wondered if it might be a good idea to replace the shift soleniods.

I found a good deal on eBay ($200) for a new genuine Ford part. I haven't had the "E" message on the transmission readout but I have had harsh engagements periodically along with abnormal shifts, usually when I'm really babying the throttle.

I planned on dropping the trans pan and replacing the Fluid/Filter with Motorcraft so I figured I might as well replace it while I'm in there.

What do you think?

If your certain you getting a new then that is as good price. I think I got mine 1 year ago at $275 online and thought that was a good deal. The only other thing is your in there, get the Transgo valve body kit and rebuild that. My problems were in the valve body, springs were worn but not broken yet. Its the age I think that weakens those springs.

Are you 100% sure that the part on Ebay fits your vehicle?

go here:

Genuine Lincoln LS Transmission Sensor - Ford Parts Giant

and enter the part # in the search bar. Then put in your vehicle info when the site asks you to see if this is the correct part. If not... the site will give you the correct part number.

Honestly... if you are NOT having any issues with the transmission,,, you may be jumping the gun on this. 69k seems awful early to need a trans solenoid. If all is acting well,,, just do a filter and fluid change. Just make sure that whoever does this uses the Ford approved fluid. NOTHING "universal". If you want to be safe,,, make sure they use Motorcraft fluid.

Check with one or more of your local Ford Dealers. Last i knew... they did a "flush and fill" (with filter), for around $150 give or take. Just make sure they have the factory filter in stock. Don't let them run to AZ and get a filter for it.

Are you 100% sure that the part on Ebay fits your vehicle?

Well, after a LOT of searching on the FordParts.com website, calling several local dealerships, and double-verifying the transmission code and year, I am pretty confident that this solenoid on eBay is the right one and that it is a genuine Ford part...IF the seller is being honest with me.

Additionally...I'll never use anything but Motorcraft for filters, fluids, etc. And since ill be doing this from the comfort of my garage...I'll be sure they'll be used! :D

Sounds like a good deal. Hopefully the seller is being honest. Have fun with the work. :cool:

As an afterthought, (if you haven't already done this), if there is no mention in the ad,,, or through private contact with the seller... that the part is factory or OEM,,, you may want to take that into consideration. Also if the part isn't coming from the continental U.S.

Yeah...I've learned my lesson (the hard way) over the years with eBay, so I made sure to message the seller and ask specifically if it is a genuine Ford Service part and if it comes with packaging.

At any rate, I bought it, so I'll be sure to update after I do the Fluid, Filter, and Soleniods. Thank you everyone!

Yeah...I've learned my lesson (the hard way) over the years with eBay, so I made sure to message the seller and ask specifically if it is a genuine Ford Service part and if it comes with packaging.

Good for you. You would be called an "educated consumer/e-bayer". I wish you the best... and hope that you succeed, (while saving a few bucks).

Members online

No members online now.
Back