3v 4.6 intake

revolutionaryconcepts

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
while looking at the new performance manifold available for the 3v mustangs I noticed a large amount of similarity between it and the gen2 3.9, anyone every acquired one and measured it?

Im working on one too, if I cant Im just gonna make a new plenum or neck, whatever its called, so that I can use my S197 throttle body

well at least with the gen 2 intak manifold the lower aluminum sections unbolt from the upper plastic plenum so it shouldnt be too hard to find a way to make it work, goin from scratch might be a bit of a pita tho

ook after doin a few hours worth of research im kinda thinkin this may be a mute point on a relativly stock engine. I took apart a spare gen 2 manifold I had in the shop and there really isnt a whole lot of room for improvement unless you cut the bottom off to get access to the velocity stacks on the end of the runners, there pretty rough but everything else seems to be pretty solid. Judging by the length and diameter of these runners using a design with much of any difference is going to toss the powerband into chaos
(EDIT) also the individual runners leading up to both intake valves (same cylinder) are offset slightly in what apears to be an attempt to induce swirling ie if the matching intake runners were replaced with a straight oval tube design im not sure of the performance consequences that might reveal themselves, now curiously enough the intake runners design where the lower aluminum skirts attatch to the plastic plenum are of a pure oval design... rather interesting
(EDIT) the other thing I find interesting is that the runner length is quite considerable witht eh factory manifold ill measure it tomorrow and go from there but at a glance we could prob sqeeze a few more out of it by shortening them a taste from the inside of the manifold or makeing a new one with slightly shorter runners but by rule of thumb taking an inch off them will raise the power peak around 800 rpm give or take a few

ya, ill get some posted at the first of the week, I think this may be doable, I did some measurements last night and some resonance calculations I think I can improve this a bit w/o shootin the power band through the roof, its gonna be expensive tho lol im thinkin about goin with a 60% displacement plenum with 16 individual 2/1 runners with offset lengths to play into the offset intake ports in the heads, also gonna run some numbers on a single runner design see which one would be practical

Im very interested in this, Lincoln states that the newer 2nd gen manifold was mainly designed for quality/sound(lower noise levels) I think it could be improved. Im really concerned more in the throttle body to intake manifold itself, it goes from 60mm or whatever the stock throttle body is to damn near 90mm or something, the transition is retarded and thats why I want to work that first. I plan on making a sheet metal neck for the S197 twin 55mm throttle body I have, no EGR, maybe re-working the cooling passages under the stock neck so that the custom one is more of a "straight shot". I really would like to get my hands on the whole top end of the Gen2 motor to look over during the winter, possibly clean up the heads a little, see what all was left out on the table so to speak. First I would really like to see those pictures of the ports on the lower end of the intake manifold tho as I have yet to pull mine. Hope you get them soon and maybe we can devise some sort of idea as to how to go about tackling a new intake manifold should it be deemed necessary.

Members online

Back