2nd Gen TB upgrade (STICKY?)

Missing Linc'

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
First off Id like to thank PMJJ for this mod because he was the first to do so, Im the second so far and hopefully some more of you will get use of this walk through. PMJJ didnt document his swap but he walked me through it for the most part, I took pictures and what not so yall illiterates know whats going on. The throttle body to be used is off an 06' F150. Im not sure which other years use this same one because we both used 06' models.

First off is disconnecting your battery, safety first guys! Pft.. Next is the dis-assembly and coolant bypass. Your new throttle body does not have cross over points for the lines.

This is what PMJJ did "Eliminate the short line, and re-route the line from under the intake to the nipple on the plastic coolant contraption." No pictures but Im sure he can get some.

I went to O Reiley's and picked up a steel junction to just connect the two coolant lines which you will see in the pictures below. The factory hose clamps piss me the hell off so I used regular screw-type ones, however I forgot to take the old ones off. :shifty:

The next picture is a comparison of the two, you can easily see that the F150 throttle body has a much larger butterfly, and its cleaner too!

Next is probably the most difficult part, clearance-ing the new throttle body so that it doesnt come into contact with the valve cover. The radius where my thumb is placed is the problem area. I used a hacksaw and just took a small chunk out at a time. Actually I kinda just took the whole little knob piece where the starbolt is off and went from there. As you can see I became anxious and took off a little too much. Its all good tho nothing was damaged.

After your done clearance-ing get your stock metal gasket and bolt that sucker up. You may have to loosen some of the wiring harness up because the connectors are in different locations, not by much tho. The outside radius of the throttle body is factory sized so your stock airbox or CAI will bolt up with ease.

Make sure everything is buttoned up and connected, key goes into the ignition, make sure your not getting the fail safe mode for not having your MAF connected and fire her up! Go check for coolant leaks and other misc crap-ola, gather your tools, close your hood and take her for a spin cause you have just upgraded your throttle body :D

DSCF0036.jpg

DSCF0041.jpg

DSCF0043.jpg

DSCF0044.jpg

DSCF0045.jpg

DSCF0046.jpg

DSCF0049.jpg

Midrange seems like it has some more grunt, throttle response improved, intake growls more/maybe the exhaust too.. I think its an overall good mod considering I picked it up on ebay for $50

Notice any difference in the gas milage, and what size motor did the F150 have that you got the throttle body off of?

did you not need to port the manifold mounting neck to match the larger TB opening?

From what I have found looks like Ford used these TB's in '04-'08 F-150's with the 4.6l 3v. I am not sure about the 5.4, I think those might be a dual blade setup.

UPDATE: 4.6 3v and 5.4 3v use the same TB.

Last edited:
you have to port the manifold neck to match the factory throttle body in the gen 2's lol so im assuming that to perform this correctly one must open up the mani if they are in fact larger tbs

OP has a Gen II, right? It sure looks like it, I don't see anything about porting in his write up either.

You dont have to port the opening at all, they both are open plenty and if you dont believe me I can take the 2 throttlebodies off and hold them up with the gasket and then have it against the plenum so you can see. Also Ill try and get some measurements on the difference in size and no I do not know which engine these come off other than newer f150's

that's unusual - typicall the mating is perfect from OE, so swappiung to a larger TB means porting everything behind it...

I just read that the blade diameter for the LS is actually 70mm and the inlet diameter is 82mm. I checked out an F-150 website and the blade diameter is also 70mm but the inlet opening is 75mm thus making the blade look larger on the truck TB. Can anyone verify if this is actually true or not?

UPDATE: I have just confirmed that both blades are 70mm so I can't really see any benefit at all to this mod. One thing that I might check into though is an after market BBK 75mm TB. Anyone know where I can get a manifold neck? I wonder if there's enough metal in there to port out?

Last edited:
The pic showing the 2 throttle bodies together, they look identical in size. If you aren't going up in size significantly, and you didn't have to port the intake plenum, I don't understand the point. I can see going from 60mm to 70mm, but I cant see any difference between these two.

I just read that the blade diameter for the LS is actually 70mm and the inlet diameter is 82mm. I checked out an F-150 website and the blade diameter is also 70mm but the inlet opening is 75mm thus making the blade look larger on the truck TB. Can anyone verify if this is actually true or not?

UPDATE: I have just confirmed that both blades are 70mm so I can't really see any benefit at all to this mod. One thing that I might check into though is an after market BBK 75mm TB. Anyone know where I can get a manifold neck? I wonder if there's enough metal in there to port out?

Actually, then, the LS throttle body is acting similar to a small velocity stack. Might actually work better.

Not worth it, they are the same size, the F150 throttle body just isnt as shrouded. Made more sound but I dont think it really did anything.

Members online

Back