2011 Taurus SHO Clunk clunk, knock knock, smoke...

Warden

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Lots of black smoke that is.
Left work yesterday to go to Bruins game. Sitting in boston traffic (major bumper to bumper while pouring) and the temp light and chime came on. Ok, hopefully just a bad sensor I can make it the half mile to parking garage. Nope! After about 5 more minutes of barely moving in traffic I started hearing a loud knocking sound. I was on the phone and really didn't hear it for a few then it was obvious the noise was not from other vehicles next to me but from my new 2011 SHO with 6200 miles on it. I start pulling over to side of the road and major amounts of black smoke came out. I shut the engine off but it continued to clunk and knock for atleast a minute if not more. The smoke stayed for much longer.
Thinking I lost my coolant. Oil level was fine but the oil definately was cooked. So now it is at the dealer. Have to wait and see what they say.:blah:

Wow keep us posted, I am sure it will be under warranty. Hopefully you didn,t lose all your coolant and cook the engine.

Hope the engine is cooked and he gets a new one. Along with turbos and such.

Electric Fan Motor Failure.
The elec fan stopped operating. Car went into safe mode and made a lot of nasty noise like bearings with no grease. Radiator boiled over sending coolant onto exhaust and created the smoke. It was dark and rainy and the smoke(Steam) was thick and appeared really dark. They replaced the fans, filled the system and car operates like normal. Guess I thought reading that part of the owners manual was too 'Boring' so I didn't bother. Karma just catching me again.

If only it had been blown, i'd love a new 2012. Can't wait for the 2013 either.

I'm glad it was something "simple". My faith in the ecoboost was floundering...lol:D

I'm glad it was something "simple". My faith in the ecoboost was floundering...lol:D

I love this Ecoboost engine. Keeps pulling and pulling. So far I (in a over intoxicated state) forgot I had teh car in manual mode and was driving about 40mph in first gear like it was nothing (car is smooth and quiet and gave no indication - other than the tach- that I was still in first gear) untill it retarted the power and I noticed something was wrong. Looked down at the hard to read gear indicator and saw a 1. Man did that suk. Dropped the car into automatic mode and stepped on the gas and it took off like nothing had happened. Now this overheat issue comes along and I think the car is toast again... Nope, I had fun driving it home last night making sure the power was still there:rolleyes:.

I am impressed with this engine. For whatever that is worth.
Still want another MarkVIII tho.

You kept driving after the chime! WTF? Sorry man but I have no sympathy for people that keep driving when the needle is pegged like that unless it was life or death to make it a little farther. Did you even turn the heater on full blast?

Members online

No members online now.
Back