2006 Town Car w/ 32-valve 4.6L engine?

GoFar

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
240HP, I concluded, isn't enough for a car that weighs 4,300lbs. The 8.4 seconds time to 60mph is equally as unimpressive. So I was thinking of what I could do, and here's what I came up with:

Swap out the 4.6L 2-valve with a 4.6L 4-valve from an SVT Cobra (94-98)/Aviator/Marauder/SVT Cobra (99-02) (whichever one I can find first). That's an extra 70HP+, 20TQ+, and while I know it won't be able to outrun a 300ZX, I will be enough to embarrass those ricers with big wings and body kits.

Stuff like a new exhaust system, throttle bodies, and an intake will make it a bit more powerful. My goal is to have this car reach 60mph on street tires in around 6.5 seconds with bolt ons/swaps.

Good idea? Bad? Thoughts please and thanks!

do it. it will be kinda like a mercury marauder. big but powerful. but they had C heads so you can just chuck a blower at it and make big power.
96-98 cobras and the mark viii had B heads. everything else you listed had C heads. C heads are preferable, but more expensive. DOHC bolt ons get pricey though.

you have options with the 2v though. lots of bolt ons and head/cam options too.

Parts for 2-valves are quite costly. I'm estimating $3,000 for a cylinder head, new camshafts, headers, intakes, etc., and will only bring me around 280-290HP.

I have seen some 4-valve engines for sale for around $1,500-$2,000, thus making it cheaper by around $1,000 or more, in which I can spend on small things to make it a tad bit faster. A Marauder does 60mph in around 6.8 seconds (I'm assuming a very large man in Colorado tested it), which is massively fast, and do some weight reduction (50 pounds at the most; TC's are naked inside).

I don't want to make it too powerful; it's still a luxury sedan haha.

do it. it will be kinda like a mercury marauder. big but powerful. but they had C heads so you can just chuck a blower at it and make big power.
96-98 cobras and the mark viii had B heads. everything else you listed had C heads. C heads are preferable, but more expensive. DOHC bolt ons get pricey though.

you have options with the 2v though. lots of bolt ons and head/cam options too.

I have a '99 town car, that I'm considering upgrading the engine. What are minor things to add power and efficiency?? I already have excel ignition coils and a stainless steel intake pipe with a k&n type filter. Can't find a heat shield to fit in the space I have the filter though.

You can do a PI head, cam, and intake manifold swap.
Bigger(70mm, 75mm) throttle body, larger upper plenum.
Underdrive pullies
And a tune. For effieciency.

-ryan s.

why dont you just drop a lighting motor blower and all in there and call it a day? how abour XE262 cams and trickflow heads with cobra intake and 24 lb injectors? i think one item you forgot to mention was the transmission and converter along with gears

He said minor bolt-ons.
What is a Cobra intake going to do? They only work with C-heads. And they aren't anything special.
I think you're getting your 5.0L pushrod info confused with modulars.

no , i can say i dont know much about 4.6 stuff, but i know what works, due to research and personal experience. if a cobra intake didnt work, then explain the one on a t bird with a teksid block and 2v heads? the 262 cams i just found out about, for a heavy car they look like they will work just fine.

Maybe some adapter plates to get it to mount to a 2v motor?
As far as I know, the modular Cobras had 4v motors.

-ryan s.

You can do a PI head, cam, and intake manifold swap.
Bigger(70mm, 75mm) throttle body, larger upper plenum.
Underdrive pullies
And a tune. For effieciency.

-ryan s.

This is good advice here if you want to stick with 2-valve. You can even go more aggressive with the cams and get Hitech Stage 2s. BBK makes a very reasonably priced set of tuned equal length shorty headers. I've seen plenty of the NA guys with the Crown Vics running the regular PI intake with great results. The rest is just gears, stall, underdrives, and tuning for the most part. I know of two guys here locally on a personal level. One had a 99 Vic that ran 13.54 NA and the other guy ran 13.41 NA. That is some darn quick times for an NA 2-valve in my opinion and you'd be hard-pressed to run times like that even with the 4-valve once it is all said and done and you make your first pass down the track. The ball is in your court though and there is nothing wrong with being different, but also remember that it will require more work. Modifying the 2-valve will be stupid easy in comparison.

Here's Dan in his 99

99 Ford Crown Vic P71 beating Roush - YouTube

His car weighed in at 4200#. He basically took a 16 second car and made it run 13s with just bolt-ons.

To get around 6.5 seconds in a town car doesn't justify swapping the motor in my opinion. This guy: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/274907/2002-lincoln-town-car/ gets about mark viii performance for a few bolt ons. The town car engine has pretty good torque for those street light races you want. HP is more top end. Plenty of mods for those "Mustang GT" motors.

I have followed this guy a little bit. Indeed impressive results considering what is done. Also keep in mind though that if you look at his build, his converter choice and rear gearing is still not optimal for his setup in my opinion. If he put a high stall converter and 4.10s in that car it would probably run low 14s without a problem. Getting 13s in these cars naturally aspirated from what I have seen in repeated builds, at least with the PI Vics, also requires the addition of aftermarket cams. If I recall correctly, Dan netted an additional 40whp from the cams and a bit more tuning. In the 270ish rwhp range the car should see 13s with the right gear, stall converter choice, and tune along with the typical bolt-ons. You should be in the 5 second range to 60 mph at that point not 6.5 :D

if a cobra intake didnt work, then explain the one on a t bird with a teksid block and 2v heads?

Maybe some adapter plates to get it to mount to a 2v motor?.

dunno. what year cobra intake? adapter is possible. i would think you have plenty of 2v intake options to choose from though, stock and aftermarket. no need to custom adapt a cobra intake.
mustang gt's had 2v heads. sure it wasn't a gt intake of some sort?

and unless he swapped heads, that teksid had 4 valve heads on it.

As far as I know, the modular Cobras had 4v motors.

-ryan s.

the cobras do have 4Vs. 96-98 were B heads. 99 on up are C heads. 99, 01 NA, 03,04 supercharged. all 4 valve heads.

So you guys use the 99-01 Cobra intakes?

-ryan s.

who are "you guys"?
and not doing that with out C heads.

Using Cobra intakes on Mk8's or B -heads. I should have stated that.
My original reply was not intended for the OP, I should have quoted that.
I was just wondering how zoomie's buddy's T-bird used a Cobra intake on a 2v motor. That's where I was going with the adapter plates.
-ryan s.

We use 96-98 cobra intakes on the mark viii's. they are all b head intake cars.

And i have no idea what zoomie is gettin at.

Ok. I was just double checking.
I never heard of using the Cobra intake. I focus more on C-heads and 2v's because that what I have,work on, and am familiar with.
I think we need to get back on topic.
I vote for aluminator.

-ryan s.

yes a teksid with 2 v heads with a cobra style intake, ive seen it up close and personal it runs quite well. check with t bird guys they drop cobra intakes on with no prpblem

I think I may have heard about this car from "Quickvic30" on CVN. It was an effective higher compression NA setup and I think it may have ran 12s which is damn good NA. There's only one guy currently running 12s NA with the full Teksid and 4-valve heads in the Mark8 crowd.

Can u provide a link zoomie?

yes a teksid with 2 v heads with a cobra style intake, ive seen it up close and personal it runs quite well. check with t bird guys they drop cobra intakes on with no prpblem

can you give me something to direct my search? i'm scouting around tccoa and all i have come up with regarding cobra intakes includes a mark or cobra motor swap...

and who would get a teksid block and go through all the trouble of dumping the 4 valve heads for 2 valve heads... that baffle's me.

i also vote aluminator.
but a mark motor swap into a town car would be super cool. cobra intake, stalled, geared, exhausted. it would be one sick 300 hp ride.

2-valve heads = higher compression from what I heard. Not optimal for a blower setup, but naturally aspirated a lot of potential was there. Still waiting on a link. I'd like to read some literature about this build.

I have heard of using PI heads on a motor with NPI internals will bump up compression a tad.
I will find a link after I return home from shopping with the wife.
God bless forum apps.

Has anyone on here ever done a 4v motor swap from say a mark 8? I assume you would need the ecu and the whole engine harness, but it would be nice if it was as simple as swapping the ecu and engine.

Members online

Back