2005 Lincoln LS v8 exhaust smell

Lincoln LS

1. gleasond

gleasond New LVC Member

I have a 2005 Lincoln ls v8, and ever since the weather cooled down, I have noticed a burning smell coming from the exhaust, and I can't smell it inside the car itself. My friends also notice it while riding behind me. They said they smell it when I accelerate hard on the car. Any ideas as to what it might be?

2. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

Some of the things it could be...

1. A plastic bag or something is stuck on the exhaust pipe and burning off. It's happened.
    2. Your engine is consuming oil. (Burning synthetic oil can smell really bad.)
    3. Some of your COPs are marginal (common issue) and this is letting raw gasoline hit the catalytic converters and overheating them.
    4. Your catalytic converters are damaged (see 3).
    5. Your catalytic converters are aftermarket (see 3).
    6. Something is leaking onto the exhaust system.

3. RigsLS

RigsLS Dedicated LVC Member

burning smell as in Rotten Eggs?

4. 1LoudLS

1LoudLS Dedicated LVC Member

I'v had #1 happen once, while driving through a parking lot a plastic bag blew undr my car and instantly melted around my exhaust. sucked, cause it smelled like sh!t for almost two weeks.

5. actafool4187

actafool4187 New LVC Member

might be valve cover gasket leaking oil as well. (if it's an oil smell.) drips down onto the exhaust manifold. that's what mine is doing right now. you'll see some smoke come out of the hood too if sitting at a drive thru for too long? just a possibility.

6. FDR

FDR Dedicated LVC Member

When I had that, it smelled like burning rubber, not burning oil. Like smoking your tires.

7. RigsLS

V6 is the more common to leak at the back of the motor near the firewall, an o ring of some sorts.

8. Phlox

Phlox LVC Member

Correct, on the v6 model the Intake Manifold Tuner Valve o-ring gets worn into more of a disk shape... or flattened so to speak. This causes a slight oil drip from the far back of the Upper Intake Manifold onto the exhaust. The fumes will get sucked into the cabin air filter and emit the burning oil smell through the HVAC system if the car is sitting idle. This was one of the very first things I did to 'revive' my car. Ford had absolutely no idea what I was talking about when trying to locate a replacement o-ring, Jaguar on the other hand, took all but 30 seconds to grab me a new one (I have the part number if anybody is interested.) Yes, I am aware that this doesn't pertain to the OP's problem with it being a v8...just thought I'd add a little two cents for newbies who might actually use the search feature when looking for a similar problem with their vehicle.

9. Telco

Telco Dedicated LVC Member

Weird, about that. When I did my cooling system I didn't order quite enough O-rings for the job. My local Lincoln dealer couldn't find that they existed, my local Jag dealer didn't even need the part number. He knew exactly what I needed and had what I needed a day or two later.

10. joegr

I suspect that Jaguar has a lot fewer parts to keep up with than Ford does.

11. RigsLS

Saw the new commercial for the new Jag on TV the other day .... only 72 grand! [​IMG]

12. 06LS Greek

06LS Greek LVC Member

06LS having that "burnt exhaust" smell (can't really say sulfur) accompanied with a small but continuous stream of 'darkish white' smoke as well. Had COP issues that required a PCM replacement. Do you think the cats are shot?

13. joegr

It could be oil leaking (possibly from the front timing cover) onto the exhaust pipes.

14. 06LS Greek

06LS Greek LVC Member

Wish it was that traceable, but at idle after fully warmed-up I'm getting a steady stream of dark white smoke coming out from the tailpipes. Almost like morning condensate smoke, but would have expected to be no smoke or condensate after warm-up. The smell is like a heavy 'burnt exhaust'. Veh has 96K mi very with very timely synthetic oil changes.

15. joegr

Weird. No noticeable oil consumption, I assume? Does any air puff out if you remove the oil fill cap while the engine is running? (There should be slight air sucked in.) I also assume that you aren't losing coolant?

• Like Like x 1
    • 06LS Greek

06LS Greek LVC Member

Thanks Joegr... Great leads on that. No oil consumption, but have noticed some loss of coolant. I'm afraid to ask what the diag and fix for that would be. Assume coolant may be making its way to the combustion chamber or oil. Will chk on the suction at the oil fill.

• joegr

What is the history on this LS? Was it run for a long time with cooling system problems?

• Like Like x 1
      • 06LS Greek

06LS Greek LVC Member

Checked and confirmed there is light suction at the oil fill when the engine is running also oil on dipstick looks normal (no milkshake.) Had some cooling issues about a year ago with a cracked thermostat housing and a transient coolant leak (came and went away) this summer when the weather got really hot. Had noticed some coolant loss during mid summer, but recently very little though. Smoke is dark white (light grey) and is present post warmup (not condensate) at idle (lightly billowing) and increases during accel. Exhaust smell heavy. Had a lot of COP issues that required PCM to be replaced. Should I place my bets...bad cats or internal coolant leak.