2005 Lincoln LS Transmission Problems HELP!

05LSSwag

New LVC Member
Reaction score
today i noticed that my transmission is not shifting into 5th gear but is shifting to 4th. 2nd gear is really rough when ~2000 rpm. if above its fine. and its having a harsh shift when going into reverse and drive. its a 2005 v6 appearance edition. i want to bring it into a ford dealership but i want an opinion from the masters before i bring it in!

never heard of it...

what does it appear to look like?

Wow, whatever happened to...

Welcome aboard. I don't know enough about the LS transmission to offer advice, but if you go to site:http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/ you can search the forum to see if it's addressed. The Google site works better because the site's search function sucks.

Give them some time to get acclimated first...

It's the same thing as a regular v6 Ls it just has more chrome than usual

No, then that is the regular V6, the basic LS has the most chrome, the sport LS's have less chrome, and the LSE has the least amount of chrome.

then there are people who stick on more chrome (well usually polished SS...) this isnt a package as much as its just somebody adding more junk to the outside of the car.

There are odd little "special appearance" packages for various years. My 04 V8 has one. You would be hard pressed to tell any difference from normal sport, in my case.

today i noticed that my transmission is not shifting into 5th gear but is shifting to 4th. 2nd gear is really rough when ~2000 rpm. if above its fine. and its having a harsh shift when going into reverse and drive. its a 2005 v6 appearance edition. i want to bring it into a ford dealership but i want an opinion from the masters before i bring it in!

I would search your symptoms. The transmission is the same, V6 or V8, so the symptoms and repair will be the same.

I just need transmission help not body help

Have you not been to the dealer yet? If there's any chance of this being a minor repair, that chance is reduced with each mile that you drive. There really isn't enough information provided so far for me to be able to help.

Most likely you'll need to rebuild or replace the transmission. Once those symptoms start, it's too late.

I have the harsh reverse shift and harsh 2-3 shift - replaced the solenoid and fluid but still the same. Dealer recommended a rebuild.

Transmission will shift fine when it is cold but then will exhibit shifting issues after it warms up ???

Possible worn Servo bore, sleeve it or get a reman.

If you decide to get a reman put in, have them install a Transgo shift kit w/ warranty and be done with these problems.

http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com/symptoms--solution.html

~ steel servo pin wears out a groove in the aluminum servo bore

TSB 09-12-12 5R55S/5R55N/5R55W TRANSMISSIONS

- SHIFT CONCERNS, LOSS OF 2ND, 3RD AND 5TH GEAR, INCORRECT RATIO DTC'S
- PROCEDURE TO INSPECT AND REPAIR SERVO PIN BORE WEAR.

FORD:
2002-2005 Thunderbird
2005-2009 Mustang
2002-2009 Explorer
2007-2009 Explorer Sport TracLINCOLN:
2002-2006 Lincoln LS
2003-2005 AviatorMERCURY:
2002-2009 Mountaineer

ISSUE:

Some 2002-2009 Explorer, Mountaineer, 2007-2009 Explorer Sport Trac, 2002-2006 Lincoln LS, 2005-2009 Mustang, 2002-2005 Thunderbird, and 2003-2005 Aviator vehicles equipped with a 5R55S, 5R55W, and 5R55N transmission may experience shifting concerns. A loss of 2nd, 3rd, and 5th gear may have overdrive band or intermediate band failures due to servo pin case bore wear causing reduced apply pressure.

Transmission will shift fine when it is cold but then will exhibit shifting issues after it warms up ???

Possible worn Servo bore, sleeve it or get a reman.

If you decide to get a reman put in, have them install a Transgo shift kit w/ warranty and be done with these problems.

http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com/symptoms--solution.html

~ steel servo pin wears out a groove in the aluminum servo bore

TSB 09-12-12 5R55S/5R55N/5R55W TRANSMISSIONS

- SHIFT CONCERNS, LOSS OF 2ND, 3RD AND 5TH GEAR, INCORRECT RATIO DTC'S
- PROCEDURE TO INSPECT AND REPAIR SERVO PIN BORE WEAR.

FORD:
2002-2005 Thunderbird
2005-2009 Mustang
2002-2009 Explorer
2007-2009 Explorer Sport TracLINCOLN:
2002-2006 Lincoln LS
2003-2005 AviatorMERCURY:
2002-2009 Mountaineer

ISSUE:

Some 2002-2009 Explorer, Mountaineer, 2007-2009 Explorer Sport Trac, 2002-2006 Lincoln LS, 2005-2009 Mustang, 2002-2005 Thunderbird, and 2003-2005 Aviator vehicles equipped with a 5R55S, 5R55W, and 5R55N transmission may experience shifting concerns. A loss of 2nd, 3rd, and 5th gear may have overdrive band or intermediate band failures due to servo pin case bore wear causing reduced apply pressure.

im guessing this is it because i drove it to get the transmission fluid changed (Valvoline didnt know how to do it on a sealed trans) so im glad i didnt waste $150 on that. but yeah it shifts harder when the car is up to running temp

maybe a shift solenoid? Like someone above said its usually a downhill battle with a worn tranny, I'd prob look for a re-manufactured replacement.

I too am going through this in my 04 V8 LS. I finally got it to the transmission shop in the next town over, best reputation in the county. Putting in an ETE reman. 3 year, 100,000 mile warranty. $2400 installed. Not too bad cheaper than the one directly from Ford with little to no warranty. Plus who knows if the Ford tranny has had the plaguing issues resolved. Hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.
Back