2003 Cobra R rims fitment

shawn_sloma

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a set of 03 Cobra R rims 17x9 with almost new tires for $190. I am in the process of purchasing everything needed to do a complete front and back hub swap. Bought a set of rear axle stubs from the junkyard to press in rear cobra hubs and swap out with the current rear hub assembly.

I guess my main question is before I start the swap, is there going to be clearance issues with factory Cobra R rims? This is my daily driver at the moment and want to complete this swap on my next 4 days off from work. I am doing a complete suspension teardown, putting in an Arnott conversion kit, new upper and lower control arms, Cobra 13" front brakes and hub swap.

245/45zr17 on front
275/45zr17 on rear

You'll be fine. I have 285s out back and they rub just a little bit over bumps. You should be in the clear

I'm running the exact same setup.

IMAG0011.jpg

P1010015-1.jpg

I like how they look in black. The Cobra R's I got are currently the silver finish. Thinking of having them particle blasted and refinished black also. There is a shop around here that will do all 4 wheels for $240.
vbpgimage.php

Just don't powder coat them. I bought mine used, and coated. The cast iron dust is hot enough to melt into the coating, then rusts. I had to scuff and paint the fronts.

Mine actually look exactly like those. Except being silver painted and the emblem is the cobra with the R in it.

I like how they look in black. The Cobra R's I got are currently the silver finish. Thinking of having them particle blasted and refinished black also. There is a shop around here that will do all 4 wheels for $240.
vbpgimage.php

Hey is that palatine Illinois? Im from Arlington heights..did you recently buy this car? If so I remember seeing this car for sale on Craigslist..if its the car I'm thinking of its got some weird gold painted grille..if you're from palatine IL you should bring your car out to a weekend cruise night around here, it would be cool to meet another Mark enthusiast!

It is Palatine, IL. Yeah I got it off craigslist, it was a flood vehicle and had some minor front end damage that I am working on replacing. Already replaced the headlight but need to find a new grill and chrome trim that goes across the front and reattach the front bumper which is missing most it's mounting screws. That and there was an aftermarket alarm system at one point in time on this car and have to figure out why the door locks no longer work.

I would go to a weekend cruise night but work from 6pm to 6am thurs through sunday...

Yep yep I remember the bit in his ad about it being a flood car...probably from last summer when we had all that rain here when everything flooded..not sure how bad your Chrome eyebrow trim is on your car but I have a spare one that has a small pea sized ding in it but otherwise very clean with good Chrome..I replaced it with another one I found at a junkyard and dont really need it..you could have it for free if ya want it.

Mine has a ding above the grill and no longer lines up with the hood of the car and leaves about a half in gap at the center. I could probably use it, if it is in better shape than that. Being on a budget has made working on this car a slow process. Hoping by the end of the month to have the entire suspension replaced and the brakes and rims on.

Ah yea I had that problem with mine when I got it, front end had been tapped and bent the trim, cracked the edge of the hood and broke the grille and when I replaced the trim it also had a gap like you are saying so I spaced it out with some washers in the center to bring it up closer to the hood and pulled the grille back into place since it was pushed in..I've since had the hood fixed and repainted as well as a new grille and chrome trim so it all lines up as it should. And I know what ya mean..Im also in the process of converting my air ride over to lowering springs and shocks..its layed up in the garage at the moment and I'm working on it here and there in between my work schedule..and BTW have fun with those upper control arms in the front, I was looking at that when I had my front air struts out yesterday and it looks like a huge pain in the ass to remove them since the bolts go through the shock towers and the nuts to remove them are burried in the engine compartment under the master cylinder and booster on the drivers side and the intake tube is in the way on the pass side..

I recently picked up a set of 03 Cobra R rims 17x9

No such thing.

This is a 03-04 Cobra wheel in silver. Cobra-Rs are from the 2000 Cobra-R :) Good luck with it.

17"x9" Cobra R's are from the 1995 Cobra R, first pic.

18"x9" Cobra R's are from the 2000 Cobra R, second pic

The third pic is a 275/40-17 MT DR mounted on a '95 Cobra R (R58 +24mm offset) wheel on my car.

The fourth pic is a 275/40-17 MT DR mounted on a '95 Cobra R (M179 +36mm offset) wheel on my car. These wheels are extremely difficult to locate. However, the +36mm offset is what is needed, and even then I needed to roll the fenders.

The fifth pic is the M179 '95 Cobra R's and my street tires, 275/40-17 Firestone Wide Oval Indy 500's.

+24mm offset '95 Cobra R's and 275/40-17 tires will rub.

1995CobraR.jpg

2000CobraR.jpg

HPIM1323.jpg

HPIM1321.jpg

HPIM3611.jpg

This is a 03-04 Cobra wheel in silver. Cobra-Rs are from the 2000 Cobra-R :) Good luck with it.

Good luck with it makes me feel like I should be concerned about something...

Took measurements on the rim and it's the 36mm offset set, guess that was a lucky purchase on my part.

Thanks for the info, they look to be the 95 cobra r rims. I am guessing the were listed wrong on craigslist when I bought them. Haven't really worked on a car since I had my old fox stang so everything with the mark viii is new to me.

Took measurements on the rim and it's the 36mm offset set, guess that was a lucky purchase on my part.

Thanks for the info, they look to be the 95 cobra r rims. I am guessing the were listed wrong on craigslist when I bought them. Haven't really worked on a car since I had my old fox stang so everything with the mark viii is new to me.

If you actually got the M179 wheels, then you're very lucky. The offset should be stamped on the back of one of the spokes (see picture).

However, they may not clear the spindle in the front. Check very carefully for clearance.

I only use the M179 Cobra R's on the back, I run 17"x8" '98 Cobra (+30mm offset) wheels with 245/45-17 tires in the front.

HPIM5021.jpg

2012_JP.jpg

Last edited:
Before and after pics of the fender rolling I did for the M179 +36mm 17"x9" Cobra R rims and 275/40-17 tires.

HPIM3670.jpg

HPIM3684.jpg

Good luck with it makes me feel like I should be concerned about something...

Took measurements on the rim and it's the 36mm offset set, guess that was a lucky purchase on my part. /QUOTE]

No sir thats the same wheel I'm running. Just saying Cobra-Rs and 03 Cobras are different. Sorry but I said good luck with it because I meant good luck with it ??

your car is no longer the factory height though, right? with factory height you should be ok.

Unless you hit a big bump or dip. :rolleyes:

Sure, my car is lowered a bit, but the arc of the suspension travel is the same, lowered or not. ;)

The pics above are with the suspension almost fully collapsed. I just released the air in the bag in order to determine where to roll the fenders, that's not my ride height.

Members online

Back