2002 Lincoln LS Sport V8 Power Steering Pump Replacement HELP Please

jgscott

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Well Sat my Power Steering started making a loud humming/Winding roaring noise. Got home and no Trans Fluid in the power steering container under hood. Put fluid back in, then saw a major leak. Did some research figured it was the pressure switch leaking.

Took to shop and found I now have 2 major leaks, and NO Powers steering at all. 1 leak at switch like I thought, 2nd leak from pump that most likely burned out due to major fluid loss.

Can anyone tell me if there is a DIY on the pump replacement on the 02 LS V8 Sport please? Do you have to take the fan and shroud and more out, or is there a easy way to get to it. I need to replace to pump and pressure switch tomorrow. Thanks.

No one knows how the powersteering pump is gotten to for replacement????

Shouldn't need to remove the fan, but I am missing a page or two on it.
The short version:
Remove air cleaner.
Remove power steering reservoir.
Remove drive belt.
Remove left front wheel.
Remove shields.
Remove bracket holding AC line.
Detach AC compressor from engine, but leave AC lines attached, move AC compressor out of the way.
Disconnect power steering hoses.
Remove pump.
Then reverse procedure with new pump.

You can get access on-line to the factory service manual for your 2002 for $11 for three days here:
http://www.helminc.com/helm/product...esult&Style=helm&Sku=FCS2002LSWEBD&itemtype=N

SECTION 211-02: Power Steering 2001 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pump —3.9L

Special Tool(s) Teflon® Seal Replacer Set
211-D027 (D90P-3517-A) or Equivalent

Removal

Remove four pushpins and the engine cover.

Remove the air cleaner and the air cleaner outlet tube. For additional information, refer to Section 303-12 .
Remove the bolts.

Remove the accessory drive belt. For additional information, refer to Section 303-05 .
Unclamp and disconnect the power steering reservoir-to-pump hose (3691) and drain the reservoir (3E764) into a suitable container.

Position the power steering reservoir out of the way.
Loosen the bolts.
Rotate the reservoir from the insulator.
Pull the reservoir down from the insulator and position the reservoir out of the way.

Raise the vehicle on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .
Remove the wheel and tire assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04 .
Remove two bolts, one pushpin and the shield.

Remove two pushpins and the shield.

Remove the bolt.

Disconnect the electrical connector and the wire retainer.

Remove four bolts and position the A/C compressor out of the way.

Disconnect the power steering pressure hose (3A714).

Remove the bolts.

Lower the vehicle.
Remove the bolts and the pump (3A674).

Installation

Using the appropriate special tool, install a new O-ring on the power steering pressure hose fitting.

NOTE: Do not tighten the upper bolts until the lower bolts are installed.

Position the pump and install the bolts.

Raise the vehicle.
Install the bolts.

Connect the power steering pressure hose.

Position the A/C compressor and install four bolts.

Connect the wire retainer and the electrical connector.

Install the bolt.

Install the shield and two pushpins.

Install the shield, one pushpin and two bolts.

Install the wheel and tire assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 204-04 .
Lower the vehicle.
Tighten the bolts.

Connect the reservoir.
Push the reservoir up on the insulator.
Rotate the reservoir on the insulator.
Tighten the bolts.

Connect and clamp the power steering reservoir-to-pump hose.

Install the accessory drive belt. For additional information, refer to Section 303-05 .
Install the bolts.

Install the air cleaner outlet tube and the air cleaner. For additional information, refer to Section 303-12 .
NOTE: Inspect the pushpins for cracks or other damage. Install new pushpins if necessary.

Install the engine cover and four pushpins.

Fill and leak check the system. For additional information, refer to Section 211-00 .

Well turns out it was just the pressure switch. I was prepared with a new pump just in case. I could not find much on how to remove, so I was in uncharted territory and did not want to do a trial by error.

I added to both you guys thanks buttons, and here's my thanks post. This is why I love the help at the Lincoln forum. Thanks to both of you.

What’s the labor estimate on a PS replacement? A private shop quoted me ~$300 over the phone. I’m looking to have the whining ac Delco reman I put in years ago replaced with a motorcraft reman.

I’d do it myself, but just don’t have the will to put a wrench on it for awhile after my A/C overhaul.

Members online

No members online now.
Back