2001 V8 LS (needs secondary tensioner pass side) $2400

swdobbs

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
2001 V8 LS (needs secondary tensioner pass side) $2200

Yesterday I got the dreaded news from the dealership that the misfire that started on Oct 6th (2 weeks ago) is the secondary timing chain tensioner on the passenger side. I've got a couple local mechanics shooting me estimates but as of right now I think I am going to get rid of it. It has 12 miles on a new set of 8 motorcraft coils, ngk plugs (thanks Maxx). I have a new VGC set but the spark plug wells were bone dry when the coils/plugs were replaced. It was running driving/shifting great up until 22 days ago when the misfire started. It has 104k, leather, sunroof, 6 disc in dash, dark tint, new tires, I've replaced the battery, misc interior trim pieces, etc.., its been a fantastic car up until a couple weeks ago. It still runs but I haven't driven it. Priced at $2200

DSC02251.gif

DSC02249.gif

DSC02250.gif

thanks guys

Last edited:
beautiful car otherwise than the broken tensioner.

Hmmm... Do I want another LS?

car

Lovin that color and good luck with your sale, Just swap the motor out you can pick one up for around $500 if your patient..

Just swap the motor out you can pick one up for around $500 if your patient..

I'd like to have shop space to keep it, but realistically.... I'd never get to it. I have a 1952 pontiac hartop to finish, a 1932 Ford pickup for my dad in a pile of parts, my TBI 1970 C-10 will be my daily driver for awhile and I 'd just rather spend this winter working on "other" projects.

Where are you located? Is it that much to change the sensor to just put a new motor in it?

That's a beautiful LS and I usually hate the look of first gen non sports. Those chain sensors are a royal pita to change out. Engines can be had for dirt cheap now so it's almost easier to just do the swap.

Where are you located? Is it that much to change the sensor to just put a new motor in it?

Located in Montana 59102. A good used motor would likely be the way to come out ahead on this car. Ive been told ALL the parts, timing chains, gears, gaskets, etc cost a little over$900, however I've also been told that thats the very worst case and wouldn't need half of those parts, just replace the wear items after a real good inspection. This car has very few miles since the mis first showed up, so if I had to guess I think its still isolated to the pass side tensioner.

Too bad tensioners can't be replaced without removing the front cover. I'd pick this up.

Too bad tensioners can't be replaced without removing the front cover. I'd pick this up.

If that were true I'd keep it!

An other member commented on another thread that the secondary tensioners "may" be able to be replaced without removing the front cover, but I don't know if thats actually true.

See, I think you can. But if the tensioner is broke, then there's pieces that need to be cleaned out, and that would require the removal of the cover.

See, I think you can.

What are the chances that if the pass side secondary tensioner is gone that the primaries aren't also shot? Is it 50/50.... 60/40.... Were the secondaries typically the ones with the problems or was is the whole set?

Hmmm

Members online

No members online now.
Back