2001 Lincoln LS8 in Virginia (757)

Kid_Lyrics

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey there LVC!!!!

I'm posting my continuation from my "Welcome Wagon" thread.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...-(757)&p=2037396619&highlight=#post2037396619

The reason being: I need some help with my current car. Also, I plan to use this as my build platform as long as I have the car in my possession!

---------------------------------------------------

I search back on Craigslist trying to find an affordable car once again...

I come across every single car you can think of.

From the oldes 82 Mercedes to the newest 2004 Camry.

None of which worked out. Too pricy or had too many high value issues

But I searched back for an LS again. I found many 500 and above... the locals all wanted $1,000 or more.... but there was one that didnt show up on CG.

I drove around the corner from my house one day and there were two sitting on two sep streets.

Both between 00-02.

One Silver with more chrome

One Black with less chrome.

Two weeks later, Silver was gone.

Two weeks later, Black wasn't.

Talked to the Black. They initially wanted 1500. I talked them down since I saw they had about 4 other cars... Brought it down to 700.. two weeks later 600....3 days later it was mine. At 140k, All black, Chrome wheels, near perfect condition leather, etc etc. Whew, I had to.

However, it did come with a few kinks.

- Battery had a dead cell. Confirmed by Advanced Auto Parts...
- Front was just flat from sitting. (probably a hole in it) It's bad. The rear is bald.

-I was told from the owners it just needed a coil pack.

- The door handle on the drivers side is broken, needs replacing.. Reaching out the window to get out
- The speakers are shot
- The radio knob is shot
- The trunk says that it is open even when closed
- The tires 2 tires need replacing
- The AC Vent is half broken

Given all of these things I can live with them minus the tires and it not starting. If anyone has any advice. Please give it. I've read on the forums and internet about the fuel pump, relays, PATS, fuel pressure,and fuses.

Would a bad coil pack cause it not to start at all? If that is even the issue?

All in all..... The reviews, the warnings, the cries, whines, gripes, and moans didn't keep me from buying this beauty.

I never knew it existed until now. I'm glad I found it. I just have to get it started....

12767843_10153434526938017_168314123_o-2.jpg

12773011_10153434527643017_1742956716_o-2.jpg

12754817_10153434527618017_1020049574_o.jpg

12528604_10153434526973017_2043431791_o-2.jpg

12597078_10153434526963017_375759233_o.jpg

---
12751695_10153434526958017_408908303_o.jpg
12755141_10153434526158017_82966470_o.jpg

12773098_10153434525988017_169639579_o.jpg

12528596_10153434525558017_1340639509_o.jpg

12751680_10153434525868017_365785247_o.jpg

12736993_10153434525343017_813826059_o.jpg
12755119_10153434525078017_188222541_o.jpg

12443865_10153434524368017_618843006_o.jpg

12772912_10153434524913017_1354853840_o.jpg

2 days later...

Alright.... I'm back

I finally got it started. However, It dies as soon as it starts.

The engine will crank, turn over, and then run. Once it runs for a few seconds, it dies. I suspect a weak battery because it's not being charged by the Alternator just yet.

So I'm charging it as I write this. Hopefully that is the culprit so I can at least drive it to the gas station.

Here are some pictures. I'll see if this video uploads as well.

The car has been started and ran a few times, however will not continue to run.

th_video-1456504168.jpg

--------THE CAR HAS NOT BEEN TOUCHED IN TWO YEARS

could be the fuel pump.
could be a clogged fuel filter..
could be clogged injectors.
could be a problem metering the air.
maybe there is a vacuum leak.

are there any codes? if not, we're just going to be throwing out wild guesses

I need wild guesses right now. I cant get the car to the store get it scanned, so im not sure of the codes. I dont need basic know-hows given im actually a mechanic. HOWEVER, im not one for this car. So I do need help. Random guess, shots in the dark, and guesses are all encouraged.

Im going to a junk yard tomorrow to grab a filter, pump, et al for the swap. Along with a coil pack. Anything else I should get?

could be the fuel pump.
could be a clogged fuel filter..
could be clogged injectors.
could be a problem metering the air.
maybe there is a vacuum leak.

are there any codes? if not, we're just going to be throwing out wild guesses
Forvot to reply to you with the first few.

I dont hear the pump prime itself when I turn the key to the on position. Even after flipping it a few times, there's no motor action. Ive put a little over 2 gallons in it with two trips.

Try cleaning the MAF sensor (with MAF sensor cleaner) and check all of your vacuum lines and the tubes on the intake tube (make sure they are all connected and have no leaks). Clean your intake and IAC.

Try cleaning the MAF sensor (with MAF sensor cleaner) and check all of your vacuum lines and the tubes on the intake tube (make sure they are all connected and have no leaks). Clean your intake and IAC.
All fine. . Still has the issue. .. I suspected a loose hose but all are tight as ever with no cracks or breaks

I need wild guesses right now. I cant get the car to the store get it scanned, so im not sure of the codes.

get, borrow, or what ever you got to do to get a scanner and see what the codes are, just guessing is silly and a huge waste of time and money...

Im going to a junk yard tomorrow to grab a filter, pump, et al for the swap. Along with a coil pack. Anything else I should get?

again, don't waste you money... do not get a filter from a JY... just go and buy a new one, chances are any one sitting in a JY could be just as crappy, old and full of crud... and also don't bother grabbing a coil from a junk yard... chances are it will also be bad... also replacing one coil is pretty much useless as all its going to do it cause even more damage to the catalytic converter...

speaking of which, knowing the car has a bad coil (rarely does any LS ever have ONE bad coil...) it very well could have completely clogged cats and the back pressure will not allow the engine to run.

get, borrow, or what ever you got to do to get a scanner and see what the codes are, just guessing is silly and a huge waste of time and money...

again, don't waste you money... do not get a filter from a JY... just go and buy a new one, chances are any one sitting in a JY could be just as crappy, old and full of crud... and also don't bother grabbing a coil from a junk yard... chances are it will also be bad... also replacing one coil is pretty much useless as all its going to do it cause even more damage to the catalytic converter...

speaking of which, knowing the car has a bad coil (rarely does any LS ever have ONE bad coil...) it very well could have completely clogged cats and the back pressure will not allow the engine to run.
So, toss about 700 and my problems should be fixed

I cant imagine $700 would come anywhere near close to fixing all the problems on a $600 car, without knowing what the problem is(cough cough scanner cough), there is no way to know how much its gonna cost to fix, could be thousands...

Can somebody find a picture of the engine and show me where the fuel rail is so I can test the pressure? I cannot find it anywhere

Can somebody find a picture of the engine and show me where the fuel rail is so I can test the pressure? I cannot find it anywhere

No offense intended here...but... You're a mechanic and you can't find the fuel rail?

If instead, you can't find the fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail, they don't all have one.

No offense intended here...but... You're a mechanic and you can't find the fuel rail?

If instead, you can't find the fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail, they don't all have one.
Yes. Im a mechanic by trade. Not a certified ASE professional. I just know how to work on cars, jets, trucks, and such. Ive done quite a few big jobs but just not on this car. So I know absolutely notIhing about it. Which is why im trying to learn about it now.

What I thought I'd be looking for usually, I cant find.

Don't let the negativity get to you Kid_Lyrics. There are people here that know these cars inside and out, but sometimes they wake up on the wrong side of the bed and assume everyone else does too.

Don't let the negativity get to you Kid_Lyrics. There are people here that know these cars inside and out, but sometimes they wake up on the wrong side of the bed and assume everyone else does too.

Nothing negative there. There's nothing unusual about the fuel rails on the LS. If you can find them on any FI car, you can find them on the LS.

Well, I went ahead and bought the pump itself not the entire assembly. So I'll be tackling this job bright and early in the morning.

I know I should replace the filter. I'll replace the filter if the car runs steadily. I'm just strapped for cash.

SO, HOPEFULLY I can update by the afternoon tomorrow with some sort of result! I'll upload pictures of my purchase.

Nothing negative there. There's nothing unusual about the fuel rails on the LS. If you can find them on any FI car, you can find them on the LS.

The fuel rails I'm used to are Aluminum. I haven't found an Aluminum line on the engine yet. I've found the Regulator valve and such which i believe houses the pressure point, but I'm not quite sure.

The fuel rails I'm used to are Aluminum. I haven't found an Aluminum line on the engine yet.

step one: remove plastic engine cover

step two: look for them.

thats really it, just like every single V8 I've ever owned, the fuel injectors are at the base of the intake manifold, just above each valve cover, evenly spaced out above each cylinder, the fuel rail connects to each injector.

top-10-car-tech-from-racing-8.jpg

you can clearly see them in this picture, it is the only horizontal silver/metal tube in the picture(in that area). I though some (all?) LS's were painted black

if you still cant find the fuel rail, then make sure that you have a V8 because the V6 has both rails running next to each other right down the center under the upper intake...

EDIT: look at these ebay adds for intake manifolds, you can clearly see the (black) fuel rails on the pictures

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-02-linco...ash=item4649a82dd0:g:yW4AAOSw3KFWgxh8&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2006-L...ash=item4af9e669a3:g:~7sAAOSwFNZW0Mjh&vxp=mtr

top-10-car-tech-from-racing-8.jpg

This^---Heh,Heh......me too.
Kid,get the filter ASAP and get it on there.Rob your pennies from the jar or piggy and get that filter. It's one of the things that can cause bad failures on your trip anywhere. don-ohio :)^)

Members online

No members online now.
Back