2001 Lincoln LS Brake Lights NOT WORKING. Changed lights, fuses, brake switch. Help?

LVC Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. Brake lights dont work after changing bulbs, fuses, and brake switch. This is my only vehicle and I really need it to get around. Can anyone help? :confused:

Have you checked the connectors? Do the tail lights work?

The tail lights all work sans the three brake lights. Connectors look fine, no moisture in there or any of that. I checked the fuses located in the trunk, are there others up front or inside that I may have missed?

The tail lights all work sans the three brake lights. Connectors look fine, no moisture in there or any of that. I checked the fuses located in the trunk, are there others up front or inside that I may have missed?

Three brake lights? Do you mean the one at each corner and the light on the rear deck?

Is the switch adjusted correctly?

Yes, it seems that none of the three brake lights (left, right, and, and deck) get power. Switch is adjusted correctly and we've actually tried both an aftermarket and used one to no avail. Switch, brake light fuses (in the trunk), and bulbs are ruled out at this point. Are there any other fuses that you may know of that can cause this?

Okay, first things first.

When you go to shift from park to reverse or drive with the engine running, does that work? If it does, your brake light switch is okay.

The fuses for the brake lights are in the trunk fuse box. The REM controls the brake lights. If it's not the fuse or the wiring, it'll be the REM.

What happened just before the brake lights stopped working?

Well for the past three months I've had a persistent "check bulb light" come up on the dash. But all of my lights worked until all three brake lights went out simultaneously on Saturday. I am changing the oil now, I'll shift gears to reverse and drive while running the engine to double check the brake light switch as soon as we're done here.

When you go to shift from park to reverse or drive with the engine running, does that work? If it does, your brake light switch is okay.
What happened just before the brake lights stopped working?

To clarify, you're asking if the brake lights light up briefly when the gears are shifted to drive or reverse? Just took it off of the ramp, They didn't light up at all.

To clarify, you're asking if the brake lights light up briefly when the gears are shifted to drive or reverse? Just took it off of the ramp, They didn't light up at all.

No, Joe means if you can shift out of park the switch works. If the switch was bad/misadjusted you wouldn't be able to shift out of park.

What Joe said:

If it's not the fuse or the wiring, it'll be the REM.

Will keep you guys posted on the results of an REM swap

Last and final question guys, I don't mean to be a bother. I searched google and the forums for this and couldn't find an answer.

Where is the REM located? How can I access it? I just need to verify the part number before I order the replacement.

Last and final question guys, I don't mean to be a bother. I searched google and the forums for this and couldn't find an answer.

Where is the REM located? How can I access it? I just need to verify the part number before I order the replacement.

In the trunk, behind the trim on the passenger side. It's a fairly big box near the trunk light.

I've just swapped it out using another REM of the same part number. No dice. Does anyone else have any ides? I really need this to get to and from work. Public transportation in Miami, FL is terrible...

Fuses and brake switch look fine. Should I replace the wiring harness at this point? It looked fine when I inspected it earlier... could it be shorted despite it not appearing burnt out?

Fuses and brake switch look fine. Should I replace the wiring harness at this point? It looked fine when I inspected it earlier... could it be shorted despite it not appearing burnt out?

Well, it wouldn't be shorted. That would be blowing fuses. It may well be open, which would give the results that you have.

You can't just look at it. You will have to test it using a meter. Check for continuity from the REM connections to the bulb socket contacts, with the harness disconnected at the bulbs and the REM.

If that tests correctly, then reconnect it and check voltages at the bulbs. While the car is awake (trunk light will be on), you should have +12V on all the bulb contacts with the brakes not applied. When you do apply the brakes, one contact of each of the brake light bulbs should switch to ground (0V), and the others should remain at +12V.

Try these tests and report the results.

Did you get them fixed my 2000 is doing the same thing.

I'm waiting on a multimeter to get here so that I can test the voltage at the connections and bulbs. Ordered it on eBay

Turned out to be a bad REM. We hadn't had it installed correctly. Thanks so much guys

Only if the replacement REM is not from an LS of the same configuration.

Hi All,

Is there a way to tell if the REM configurations match? I will probubly get a replacement REM via junk yard or part out. If the model numbers match is it good to swap between vehicles?

I happen to have had the right rear brake light go out. It was the socket brown/burnt appearance. I got the light to work when i wiggled the connecton. But, when I fixed it, I screwed up and shorted the connectors when pressing the rubber formed wire gasket back into the connector body :( . Then the whole right rear went dark ( I almost punched a whole in the wall ) . I think it is the REM. Fuses are good, bulb good, etc. Thanks for the thread - its getting me in the right direction.

Hi All,

Is there a way to tell if the REM configurations match? I will probubly get a replacement REM via junk yard or part out. If the model numbers match is it good to swap between vehicles?

Country, year and V6 or V8 are the most important factors.

Members online

No members online now.
Back