2000 V8 engine coils/head cover gaskets

steagle

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
i'm interested in getting a LS V8 ('00) and the current owner told me he needs to replace 3 engine coils and head cover gaskets. he said with the current engine coils, the car is shaking a bit and has lost some of its original power. does this sound right or would something else be aiding in this problem. also, what would the estimated cost be to do these repairs he mentioned. he offered to take care of them for $500, so if it's around that range i might as well.

I would expect that the cost would be around that to say 700 to 800. IIRC the coils are about 65 bux ea about 3 to 4 hours in the labor, iirc is about 90 an hour is what alldata.com says to do valve covers on both side. They will likely charge you to diag which CoPs are bad so figure the standard shop diag fee of about 100. You might as well have the plugs replaced since you are right there at them so cost of plugs an maybe labor if they are being greedy. If you buy their plugs those are about 16 but you can supply your own..

well i know exactly which coils need to be switched out, no way i'd let them charge me that diag fee! good call on the plugs though, i wasnt thinking about that, just getting this thing roadworthy again. thanks for the infos.

post the vin on flatratetech.com and ask some if they will do an oasis lookup. ask some questions there as well as the forum is ford service tech central as far as I can tell.

I would think it would be of good interest to know if the pcm has been recalibrated. I do not know what thye cost are but it certainly could be a few hundred bucks. The recalibrated the pcm to work out some tranny shifting probnlems.

Also the gasket are about 15 total but there are also some ring gaskets, large oring really, the seal off the spark plugs and those could potential have to be replace and I think that would add about 50 dollars to the job.

hey man ur getting ripped off???????

Hey man ur really getting ripped off. the coils for the LS run at 49.95 a piece thats around $150. its so easy 2 put them on just insert and screw it would take u no more than 20 mins max. tha gasget im really not shure how much it would run for or how hard it is to put on. its too much what hes charging u. :tmi: :nxsmile

actually if you order them from 5 Star Ford , prefered Ford parts vendor for LVC, you can get them for 39. Problem is on the V8 is that the LH Valve Cover is a pain in the @$$ to remove. So there is a big difference in shop cost and DIY cost. Figure what your time is worth compared to what you are paying the tech.

Our shipmate lsbit made a great how to, follow this link:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dperuski/ls/vcover.htm

Members online

Back