2000 Pontiac Montana electrical issue

rainjacks

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
OK, strange problem:

At seemingly random times the following items will stop functioning, wipers, AC, headlights, trip computer (on the headliner). The engine keeps running and everything else appears to be fine. After a few seconds everything starts working again. I noticed the other day that it seems to occur most often when I put my foot on the brake. My first thought was bad battery or alternator. But, I had them both tested and was told they are fine. Initially it happened once or twice and I thought I was just imagining things. Now it is happening more often, and the length of the outage seems to be getting longer.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

Also, the windows don't roll down when this is happening. I am thinking it almost has to be the alternator, right? I need a solution becuase I am getting sick of my wife bitching about it.

i googled for some pontiac forums, seems to be a lot of eletrical shorts on the 2000 montanas. #1 being a common electical short in the brake light pigtail harness which seems to cause all the syptoms you described. Google 2000 pontiac montana eletrical stops working, GL with this, I hate fixing shorts. Also their is a class action lawsuit against gm for the head gaskets, not sure if it still applys now but the info was in the same forum posts.

Unfortunately it isn't the taillight pigtail harness. I checked both sides. If only it was that easy.

Members online

No members online now.
Back