2000 ls 3.9 DCCV Removal

Zeus

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have a 2000 ls 3.9 that I'm working on. The dccv is hard for me to get to. I've removed various hoses and am doing all of the work from above. I've moved condenser and aux pump motor out of the way andI only have bottom large hoses front and back and the angle one left on side to remove. Anyone have any short cuts to complete removal?
Thanks for Any Help

get ready for skinned knuckles, forearms and the back of your hands. no easy way on this one. 10mm bolt on radiator surround next to it will free it up a little. buy the best one you can afford. I believe oem is bosch. don't wanna be doing this time and again. g'luck, mate and welcome.

Some of it is easier from the bottom. I usually unbolt the bracket and take that out with the DCCV. The cable operated spring clamp pliers are essential. You can also take off the wheel and splash shields and get a little better look at things.

Actually, I think that Bosch is the OEM for the DCCV as well.

In any event, don't get Murray. It's a lifetime warranty, but you'll be using it every month or so.

When I did mine, I did everything from the top. Did not have to move condenser, but obviously aux pump was out. I left two hoses attached to the valve and took them out with the valve. I had a problem with heavy rust on the left side of the mount bracket and had to rip the old valve out forcefully, then bend everything back in place. If you do it right, your hands and forearms will have the living $hit beat out of them. My forearms are really not that big and still, I had cuts and scrapes that took weeks to heal. It sucks. You will likely rather set the car on fire than do that job a second time.

Actually, I think that Bosch is the OEM for the DCCV as well...

Hmmmm odd, don't recall that, I still have my old DCCV, I'll have another look at it. Possible I guess, just recall the Aux pump clearly stamped with the name Bosch.

Thanks Guys! It's in with knuckles intact lol. Now I need an aux coolant pump. Do they cross match any other vehicles? They're fairly expensive but other ones look similar including the plug. I APPRECIATE EVERYONES HELP with the dccv, it was harder than the timing chain tensioner which was a breeze compared to this.
Any info on aux pumps is appreciated.
THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!

i was looking for a good thread to post this in, and this is the closet recent topic so...
(I have the 3.0L v6)

I am not recommending this but...
i ripped my bad DCCV out for last winter, it was leaking, and had started leaking bad. and I wasn't getting a new DCCV at that time. And I absolutely needed a car the next day too.
So i ripped it out thru the bottom, cut some stubborn hoses and capped them and had no more leaks! Then, the next time I had a chance I routed the [hot] coolant flow from the engine to one of the metal pipes running to the dual heater core. It was the top pipe, and I hoped that it was the drivers side heat. It was, and so I had decent heat for the rest of the winter. The passenger side did blow cool, but I could compensate by closing those vents the few times I had passengers (if it wasnt 10 degrees out).

I imagine I could split the [hot] coolant coming from the engine into both pipes and have heat on both sides of the car. I am not sure what will happen now if I run the AC. I have some ideas. Anyone have any idea?

And I know, I know, I know this is an embarrassing hack, but hey maybe the info can be useful to someone... although I am not recommending this.

(oh man, ive done some hacks on my cars in my life, but I would have never on my LS!!! I guess she is showing her age, or maybe more accurately I'm showing my age!)

Members online

Back