2000 Lincoln LS - no start issue and OBD link error

Aero

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a 2000 Lincoln LS V8 for a family friend. I've owned a few different LS models over the years and am pretty familiar with the systems and how they function together. This one has me stumped though.

The issue popped up overnight. They parked it, went out the next day and it wouldn't start. Unfortunately, they took it to someone else to have it looked at initially. The guy had no idea how complex the CAN-BUS system in the LS is and gave up after replacing the fuel pump.

I got the car towed to my house and started looking it over. The first thing I noticed was no priming from the fuel pump. It will not turn on at all. I checked fuses, grounds, etc. and found no obvious issues, but I have yet to further diagnose this.

The reason I haven't diagnosed the fuel issue further is because of a data link error not allowing my OBD diagnostic tool to connect to the cars network. I have used this tool on two other LSs, so it should connect to the system. Also, the message center displays "Fuel Computer Data Error" and "Engine Sensor Data Error". I did some quick research and found that this could be caused by a bad REM, PCM, or instrument cluster. I've already tried a good used REM from another LS I owned and it made no difference.

I was hoping someone else has had a similar issue and could give me an idea of what was the cause. I'll continue doing some diagnostics when I have time, but any help would be appreciated.

Check all fuses (all three fuse boxes), the SSP relays and the PCM relay and relay sockets.
Does the starter engage?

I've already checked all fuses, relays, etc. The engine cranks over fine. The PATS seems to be working fine as well.

I've already checked all fuses, relays, etc. The engine cranks over fine. The PATS seems to be working fine as well.

Are you certain that your tool works on non-CAN bus cars? (Gen II is can bus, gen I is not.)
Have you checked for power at the fuel pump? Maybe this is just a failure of the fuel pump itself?

Could be a fried ECU. I would have it Flashed first. I've seen a few Ford Computers not respond then Die while being Flashed.

New PCM got the diagnostics to work and the fuel pump to prime, but it still won't start. The fuel pump sounds pathetic, just a slight whimper when priming, not the strong whir my other LS makes.

Did you get the PCM programmed? I'm not sure but it can cause a crank/no start condition.

The PCM has the same programming as the old one ('00 low emission) and is working with all of the systems, but the REM or fuel pump is acting up now.

Members online

No members online now.
Back