2000 conti needs new air springs in rear

dfoy50

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
hi guys , i am in a situation that i need to replace the rear air springs (leaks). my question is what is the procedure , and are there any special tools needed . thanks for your help . drew :confused:

2000 Lincoln continental

removal

1. Turn “OFF” air suspension switch. Raise the vehicle on hoist. Remove tire and wheel assembly.
2. Remove the air spring by disconnecting air line by pushing in on red seal pulling out on the line.
Disconnect electric plug, now twist air bag clockwise and pull it out.

install is just the reverse

It is not necessary to remove the air line from solenoid. There is a retaining clip on the solenoid that you have to pry off with a screw driver. Then you twist the solenoid to remove it from the air spring. It has two steps. Twist and pull then twist and pull. There will still be pressure in the spring and it might blast out on the first twist. Try to let the springs deflate as much as you can before working on it. Letting the wheel hang while it's jacked up will help relieve some pressure. I have to do mine again too. I think I am going to try bleeding the pressure out by manually applying 12 volts to the solenoid to open it and to the bleeder solenoid on the pump. I think it is the pink wire at the pump that actuates the solenoid. Remove the air spring from the bottom first. Just the four plastic clips underneath. Then the top.

I was able to manually bleed the air out of the spring by unplugging and manually applying 12v dc power to the solenoid and also the compressor / bleeder valve. The pink and black leads at the compressor are for the bleeder valve. They are the two smaller sized wires. I used some old transformers from old electronics that I saved. I tried a 9 volt supply and it was enough to open the solenoid too. I just tried a 9 volt battery and it also works. I know the dealer scan tool can manually do this and more but I don't know of a way that I could tell the car to do it. Maybe Forscan?

Hi guys,
Finally there seems to be a leak in my beloved 98 Conti and I am quite bummed, but nevertheless I want to keep the quality air ride, and fortunately it still rises and holds. The leak is slow and was found out after the recent cold spell here in Ohio, but I am not sure exactly what is leaking. It seems to take between 3 or 4 days to fully deflate and Most people seem to theorize that it is my air springs but of course it could be anything.

Basically I am hoping that someone can tell me just which company should I purchase the air springs from for good, honest and dependable ones? I have read and heard of some cheaply made products that fell apart in a short time from supposedly "reputable" companies that specialize in this field. I am very much in need and in no way do I want to got through a terrible experience that is costly and time consuming so I am looking towards the experts for your advice.

Thank you all and thanks for reading!
eighties.. 20151202_145944.jpg

20151202_145944.jpg

air springs

Hi guys,
Finally there seems to be a leak in my beloved 98 Conti and I am quite bummed, but nevertheless I want to keep the quality air ride, and fortunately it still rises and holds. The leak is slow and was found out after the recent cold spell here in Ohio, but I am not sure exactly what is leaking. It seems to take between 3 or 4 days to fully deflate and Most people seem to theorize that it is my air springs but of course it could be anything.

Basically I am hoping that someone can tell me just which company should I purchase the air springs from for good, honest and dependable ones? I have read and heard of some cheaply made products that fell apart in a short time from supposedly "reputable" companies that specialize in this field. I am very much in need and in no way do I want to got through a terrible experience that is costly and time consuming so I am looking towards the experts for your advice.

Thank you all and thanks for reading!
eighties..View attachment 828475072

hi there , i purchased a set from "arnott air suspension" they advertise on this forum . and i was happy with there service and ease of ordering and prompted delivery , prices seamed resonable to me . . have a great day

www.arnottindustries.com/?utm_source=lincvcad&utm_medium=forum&utm_campaign=lincvcad

check them out

I appreciate your reply but I have a few concerns. Price and or extra parts. What would you say about the difference in price say $100.00 (Arnott) to $60.00 or less (competitor) per side in money savings and did you get all you needed like O-rings and such with your Arnott purchase alone? I am certanly hoping for a good outcome. Thanks for the advice:)
eighties...

I appreciate your reply but I have a few concerns. Price and or extra parts. What would you say about the difference in price say $100.00 (Arnott) to $60.00 or less (competitor) per side in money savings and did you get all you needed like O-rings and such with your Arnott purchase alone? I am certanly hoping for a good outcome. Thanks for the advice:)
eighties...

hey there orings came with i needed nothing else , well a little lube for the orings , and i purchased from them because of recommendations from others . i'd rather pay a little more and do it once then have twice from a no name , but i didnt want to pay lincoln/ motorcraft prices . if it was ingition coils id buy the lincoln price but the quality looked better than the ones i took off that were replaced by the previous owner , they were not arnot nor motorcraft . i felt good about my purchase from arnott. i hope you are happy with there performance. drew

I so appreciate your honesty and frank opinion. Thank you. I'll take it all into consideration.
eighties...

Hey eighties, sent you a PM.

I have pasted 3 different air suspension companies for your viewing. I think there is another very reputable company, lincolnelite had posted that awhile back. (This gentlemen knows his stuff very well.) Mostly these companies are really good, Arnott is very good too, glad to hear Drew had a good experience with them. You will not be steered wrong in any direction you choose. These links show 1995-2002 Continental suspensions. You can choose whichever you would like. They have everything you need. I would call or email one of them to see what your problem would be, and go from there. Hope this helps!
PS: I would get a workshop repair manual on this car off of ebay. It shows everything about this model, its the same workshop manual used at the Lincoln dealership. It goes for around $30-55.00 (98-02 model yrs.)

https://www.arnottindustries.com/part_LINCOLN_yid2_pid16.html

http://www.americanairsuspension.com/Continental-Air-Suspension-Parts-s/1828.htm

http://www.strutmasters.com/suspension-parts/lincoln/lincoln-continental-1995-2002/

Thank you for your reply and suggestions as well. I do appreciate the time time you took out to send me a reply and friend request. I would have responded sooner but I have been somewhat under the weather as of late.
Funny that we are in the same area, hope to eventually hook up so you can see my used, but working Conti. I wish I could do what you do to your beautiful Lincoln, but I am in a different situation than you are. Maybe one day I can and will accomplish that feat. Thanks again, talk and read about your refurb soon.
eighties...

Thank you for your reply and suggestions as well. I do appreciate the time time you took out to send me a reply and friend request. I would have responded sooner but I have been somewhat under the weather as of late.
Funny that we are in the same area, hope to eventually hook up so you can see my used, but working Conti. I wish I could do what you do to your beautiful Lincoln, but I am in a different situation than you are. Maybe one day I can and will accomplish that feat. Thanks again, talk and read about your refurb soon.
eighties...

hey there 80's just a quick note . hope you get to feelin better, ive got folks up that way and the flue seams to be hittin hard , be well

drew

Thanks Drew, but I am afraid to report that my condition is a little more serious...my kidneys have been failing and my condition is getting a bit worse. Diabetes did a nasty trick to me and I have been fighting the battle, but thank you so much for the kind words. I hope to meet up with you all soon.

20150829_175951.jpg20150829_175933.jpg

20150829_175951.jpg

20150829_175933.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back