1st time gonna attempt to paint interior(any pointers)

Silver06S281

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys my 93 mark has the mocha interior which i know is rare, i wanna paint the top half of the dash black and the top half of the door panels black to spruce it up a bit. Never painted any interior pieces in my life im very mechanically inclined and have painted throttle bodies and stuff of that nature before. Any tips on prep and what kinda paint to use? I dont want this stuff to tacky down the road.

Thanks
Jim

Most important part of painting is cleanliness and prep. Make sure you clean the plastic pieces thoroughly and degrease if necessary. You will need some plastic adhesion promoter, I think Bulldog makes it. Its like a primer for plastic. Spray light coats and be patient. There is also specific spray paint for plastic, its called Fusion, but not sure who makes it, it can be bought anywhere. Use this after priming the plastic pieces with the adhesion promoter, light coats are best.

Duplicolor and SEM also make interior paint match colors and adhesion promotor that you can pick up at any parts store. While you're there pick up some wax and grease remover to wipe the plastic down with after all your prep is done.

thnks for the info guys, should i wait till it gets warmer out to do this? seeing as how i dnt have a garage right now id be painting outside and its about 40 here during the day.

Everything I paint gets clear, gloss or matte,as the final coats. It'll make all your hard work last a lot longer. I always let the spray cans sit in hot tap water for about 15 min. It makes a difference.

Honestly, interior painting is not as critical as the exterior. I painted mine in the middle of July with high humidity, took 5 minutes to wipe everything down with an alcohol wipes and painted two coats.

I only had to do a touch up this year where my knee rubs on the center counsel. More prep will never hurt you though, so try a test piece on a kick panel or on some junk yard interior part if your unsure.

I swapped most of my black panels in so the only think I painted was the dash and center counsel .

CIMG0045 (Small).jpg

CIMG0054.jpg

CIMG0053.jpg

CIMG0045 (Small).jpg

CIMG0054.jpg

CIMG0053.jpg

To me, the painted parts never look "quite right". They dont give the right depth and shine of the real thing.

Members online

Back