1st time black owner

2001LS

LVC Member
Reaction score
This is my first black car. I have notices that at night at a gas station under the lights i have some swirls and light scatches not that arent all that noticible in the day unless your right on it. is this pretty common for black cars. I m sure a good wax would get rid of it. I have a buffer but am nervous and dont want to mess up the paint. So i guess i should take it to a detailer. is this time of year a good time to do that. i have been drying with a terry cloth towel do you think im doing damage wth that. I mean to get a chamois cloth.

You should only use 100% cotton cloth to wash your car. Also, do not use automated car washes. Claybar should get rid of the current swirls.

The claybar will help but won't get all the swirls out. It would really need to be buffed with a dual action buffer not a rotary with a good cleaner/polish then a coat or two of a high quality wax. If you can use micro fiber towels instead of cotton. Check with a local detailer about having it done.

it all depends on how deep the swirls are. Clay might help -- or you might need a good coat of swirl=remover/polish applied.

Best move - since you dont know about these things - is take your car to a good detail shop and have it done the first time there - this way you can start with a clean slate.

Clay will NOT remove, hide or do anything for swirl marks. Clay is used to remove impurities stiuck "IN" the paint. Like rail dust, industrail fallout, brake dust etc. Clay DOES make the paint easier to polish by removing these contaminetnts.
You need a polish to remove the swirls. It can be done by hand but it will take a while(Hours ) of hand buffing. I would rcommend getting a Porter Cable Random orbiter buffer (PC7424).
Once you have the PC get some 3M SMR(Swirl Mark Remover)
Once you have it polished and NO swirls then wax.
Also use a wool sheepskin wash mitt, and a Microfiber towel to dry. NO terry cloths or cotton towels.
How to use the PC 7424
How to remove swirl marks
Polishing Paint
The Perfect Shine
Using Clay
How to Wax
Show to Wash and Dry

Last edited:
I throughly enjoyed all your articles on cleaning and waxing cars. I have considered myself to be a great detailer and I'm glad someone else shares my pride. Jim

Members online

No members online now.
Back