1st Gen Lincoln LS PCM Question

dwiggy

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm new here (well, returning from years ago).

Background:
10 years ago I had a LS6 Manual and loved the car. Always whished it had more power; and adders were out of my budget...

Fast Forward:

Building a 302 powered manual Lincoln LS. It's a nice combo and I am working on a write-up when when I finish.

For now I have some PCM questions.

1. I'm running the stock PCM to get around electrical/digital systems issues with stand-alone ECUs to include; instrument cluster, cruise, PATS, and HVAC incompatibilities.
Q: Do Gen1 Lincoln LS' have "limp mode"?

2. Pertaining to "Limp Mode", I have looked over the electrical powertrain management diagrams to include transmission control and digital transmission position sensor. I will connect a neutral switch for park and neutral positions; and a reverse for backup position.
Q: Will the engine PCM go into "Limp Mode" if I leave the un-needed transmision leads disconnected (i.e., intermediate and turbine shaft sensors, digital trans range (DTR), and auto trans pressure)?

3. In a discussion with PCM issues, changes, and tunes, I have done extensive research on tuners for the Lincoln LS. I know that this question comes up a lot.
Q: Is there someone who can turn off the automatic transmission controls in the PCM?

If you made it this far, I apologize for the long post.

A 302 ls? where have you been hiding this beast build!? I wanna see pics!
I'm pretty sure the ls has a few different types of limp modes (or reduced power mode)
someone will chime in soon with more answers.

SCT worked with QuikLS to do the initial cracking of the LS PCM. Maybe contact him and see if he can connect you with the right folks?

Torrie at fastpartsnetwork.com may have some ideas as well.

I have a gen1 and I do believe I've been in limp mode once when it was overheating.

wow, good luck man, cant wait to see it.

I have a gen1 and I do believe I've been in limp mode once when it was overheating.

wow, good luck man, cant wait to see it.

Nope, that's failsafe cooling mode. Failsafe cooling mode shuts down fuel alternately to half the cylinders so that the air being pumped through will cool them.

Limp mode is when the PCM goes into an open loop mood where it ignores several of the sensors normally used to manage the air-to-fuel ratio.

Thanks

Thanks for the posts guys. Keep the information rolling...

As I mentioned earlier, I will do a write-up on the build when I am complete; and that will most deffinately be a different thread:)

Back on topic:

It looks like I will not have a problem leaving the auto PCM enabled; however, it is a little extra work.

Here are some facts (this also applies to any 5r55s with the same digital transmission position sensor)

1. When the shifter is in drive all five leads are open. This translates to no error codes if the DTP is not connected at all (except for a 270ohm trace probably to signal that the sensor is plugged in).

2. When the DTP is in Park, all leads are connected. I can use a neutral safety switch for this condition.

3. When in reverse, two leads are connected. I can use the reverse switch for this.

I am running a T5 out of a 4.0 mustang with gears and bell out of a 91 Mustang. The 91 Mustang has a NSS on the top of the case (4.0 does not). So, when not in gear, I am in Park.

Again, sorry about the lengthy post.

Now on to the extra speed sensors...

Last edited:
Dwiggy, what transmission are you using? Did you start with a 5 speed ls and just swapping the motors? I am curious. I also believe that the FEM is different on the 5 speed. It might not make any difference in the loan run but a FEM from an automatic might not turn on the interior lights when you open the door. (ask me how I know this one)

Dwiggy, what transmission are you using? Did you start with a 5 speed ls and just swapping the motors? I am curious. I also believe that the FEM is different on the 5 speed. It might not make any difference in the loan run but a FEM from an automatic might not turn on the interior lights when you open the door. (ask me how I know this one)

I am using an Auto car.

This might be a dumb question but what is an FEM?

Also, I am very curious. How do you know this?

I am using an Auto car.

This might be a dumb question but what is an FEM?

Also, I am very curious. How do you know this?

FEM = Front Electronics Module. It controls the lights and a bunch of other stuff in the front of the car. It's behind the driver's kick panel.

Members online

No members online now.
Back